The «Summary box for Wikipedia links» brings the preview boxes from Wikipedia to your website!
It displays nice summary boxes on every Wikipedia link …
|Author:||suter & partner, Dominik Fehr, firstname.lastname@example.org (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.7|
|WordPress version tested:||6.4.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||20-11-2023|
Click to start download
The «Summary box for Wikipedia links» plugin brings the Page Previews from WikiMedia to your website! It displays simple and nice summary boxes on every Wikipedia link. Once activated, it turns all existing and new Wikipedia links on your site into ones with interactive summary boxes!
Authors and visitors love it! ❤️
- Simplifies content creation by providing on-demand term explanations.
- Connects your visitors to Wikipedia’s wealth of knowledge.
- Enhances your site with a simple, valuable, useful and nice feature!
This plugin …
- works smoothly with touch and mouse on mobile and desktop.
- works out of the box, just set a normal Wikipedia link and the summary box appears.
- supports all existing languages and text directions (ltr, rtl) on Wikipedia.
- does not affect your website in any way.
- is based on our library that can bring this feature to any website, not just WP, first release was 12/2021.
- is very lightweight, free and open source.
Settings. You have control over whether to …
- show summary boxes for all Wikipedia links, or none but only show selected ones.
- show images in all boxes, or none but also only in selected ones.
- display or hide each box and each image within it separately.
- change the width of the summary boxes, the number of characters displayed, the font size and more.
Best of all, using the settings it’s really simple, but in most cases you don’t need them at all, just activate the plugin and see if you like it.
Give it a try!
Thank you very much.
The first version was created for our “The Horse” project, which supports cross-border student learning and collaboration projects. If you find the plugin helpful, please consider supporting the development by donating to THE ! association.
For suggestions or inquiries, feel free to contact us
The Summary box with a preview of the "Wind" article on Wikipedia
Demo on desktop
Settings of the «Summary box for Wikipedia links» that affect Summary boxes
Parameters that affect a specific preview aka summary box
Not all, but most, Wikipedia articles contain an image that can be displayed in the summary box. Also make sure that you didn’t use the “#dontshowimage” parameter in your Wikipedia link or you have selected “Disable Images” in the administration.
The value set in the admin is a maximum. The number of characters displayed in a summary box also depends on the text in the linked Wikipedia article.
In your WordPress admin area, navigate to Settings > Summary for Wikipedia. There, you can adjust the width, number of characters, font size, disable showing images in all summary boxes, and more.
The pages of your website may be cached by your web server or browser – please clear these caches.
1.0.0 – 20.11.2023
- Initial release.
1.0.0 – 24.11.2023
- Update Details text.
1.0.1 – 25.11.2023
- Added some allowed tags in the summary box.
1.0.1 – 27.11.2023
- Update Details text; settings, FAQ, screenshot added.
Version 1.0.1, 27 November 2023, df
Dominik Fehr, email@example.com