Plugin generates not one but two, highly customizable Google News Editors’ Picks RSS Feeds. Increase your news site traffic with featured content on G …
|Author:||Peoples_Pundit (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.7|
|WordPress version tested:||4.7.21|
|Added to WordPress repository:||18-11-2014|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||18 337|
Click to start download
The most comprehensive RSS feed generator specifically tailored to meet the needs of publishers wanting to optimize an individual Google News Editors’ Picks RSS Feed. Creates both a homepage and section-based feed topic-specific.
Customize required feed images, names, titles, descriptions and more! Exclude articles from feeds and enter custom meta descriptions from the lightweight, custom meta box located on post.php (edit) screens.
In order to have your website included in Google News, you will have to suggest it for inclusion first. This plugin is nearly pointless without site inclusion.
Serious news sites should consider upgrading to the WordPress Google News Plugin to take advantage of all tools available to Google News Publishers and optimize their site for Google News.
- Set default values and customize RSS feeds
- Branding matters! Add required images/logos to EACH Google News Editors’ Picks RSS Feeds
- Exclude/include articles from the feeds from lightweight custom meta box
- Custom meta box includes powerful qTip2 tooltip helper popup window functions
- Use Custom Meta Box to tailor feed-friendly description for news feeds. (A big deal when exporting RSS picks)
- Ping Webmaster Tools when feeds are updated with smart ping technology
- Google News Publisher Help Forum Resources menu, including feed validator
- Easy submission to set Editors’ Picks RSS feeds in Google Webmaster Tools
- Called the “must-have WordPress extension” by Google News Help Forum staff!
- Easy Single & Multi-Site Setup: Set easy-to-override default values for news sitemap and customize RSS feeds
- Branding Matters: Add required images/logos to EACH Google News Editors’ Picks RSS Feeds
- Write It Right: Use Custom Meta Box to tailor feed-friendly description for news feeds. (A big deal when exporting RSS picks)
- Only The News: Exclude articles from XML Google News Sitemap and news feeds from lightweight Custom Meta Box
- Easy & Lightweight: Custom Meta Box includes powerful qTip2 tooltip helper popup window functions
- Get Featured On Google News: Add standout tag to standout content to highlight exceptional journalism and get featured on Google News
- Search Engine Optimization: Correctly add up to 10 news_keywords metatag for SEO | news_keywords metatags Vs. XML tags
- Give Credit Where Credit Is Due: Include both syndication-source metatag and original-source metatag (i.e. guest or re-published contributor content)
- Get Articles Indexed Fast: Generate feature-rich XML Google News Sitemap that will get your stories up on Google News in minutes!
- Find Interested Readers: Add up to 12 news:keywords XML tags to news sitemap that will get your stories indexed in the correct location, fast!
- Google Finance Pays: Add up to 5 news:stock_tickers XML tags to news sitemap that will get your stories indexed on Google Finance, fast!
- Google Hates Spammers: Ping Webmaster Tools when news sitemap and RSS news feeds are updated with smart ping technology
- Get A Clue: Expanded Google News Publisher Help Forum Resources menu, including feed validator, Associate YouTube, etc.
- Easy Integration: Easy submission for XML News Sitemap and Editors’ Picks RSS feeds to Google Webmaster Tools
WordPress Google News Plugin 2.0 Release Announcement:
- Ability to add Subtitles without theme coding
- Schema In-Depth Article Markup
- Schema Organization Markup
- Social Network Knowledge Graph
- Schema Itemprop tags and other features prioritized by Google on the Google News platform
- Changed “Exclude” articles from Google News Editors’ Picks feeds to “Include” articles
- Added WP admin top menu bar for convenient access to multiple features
- Post to Article Label conversion
What is the Post to Article Label conversion add-on? WordPress is tailored to blogs even after all these years. News organizations publish “Articles,” not “Posts.” Schema relies on “Article” markup, not “Post” markup. So, we should, too. The conversion will change the label on the WP dashboard and output to Article(s), without destroying past projects.
And there’s more…
Upgrade to the WordPress Google News Plugin or visit WP News Plugins to learn about consolidating your publisher options into one, lightweight server-load saving plugin.
This plugin, unlike some others, is fully Multi-Site compatible. The feeds work in the Network settings and you can copy the settings from one blog to another, or make blogs default to the settings for a specific blog.
Find answers for Google News-related questions in the Google News Help Forum
Google News, Editors Picks, RSS, RSS feeds, feed generator, Google, seo, plugin, news sitemaps, google webmaster tools, webmaster tools
Admin Dashboard Page
Admin Dashboard Settings Page Top
Admin Dashboard Settings Page Middle
Admin Dashboard Settings Page Bottom
Custom Meta Box With Tooltip Helper
Google News Homepage RSS Feed
Editors Picks On Google News Homepage
You can use the built in installer and upgrader, or you can install the plugin manually. The following is for manual installation of zip file.
- Go to Plugins > Add New.
- Click on the “Upload Plugin” tab.
- Browse the file and upload it (zip files only) by clicking the “Choose File” upload button.
- Click “Install Now” to install the WordPress Plugin.
- After installation, click the blue “Activate Plugin” link.
- Disable any feed generator plugin related to news you may have installed!
- Visit the plugin “Dashboard” menu via Google News > Dashboard, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
- Configure the feed settings under Google News > Editors’ Picks, otherwise you will get errors in Google Webmaster Tools.
- To view tutorials on how to set up and customize your feeds, go to Google News > Tutorials, or visit http://bit.ly/YMGVof
- Once feeds are customized, click “Save Settings” and go to Settings > Permalinks.
- Do not change your Permalink Settings, just re-save by clicking “Save Settings” under Permalinks.
- Return to Google News > Editors’ Picks and submit the newly created Google News Editors’ Picks RSS Feeds in Google Webmaster Tools via “Submit RSS Feeds”.
Why are my custom Google News Editors’ Picks RSS feeds giving me a 404 error?
If no feed appears when you click on the “View RSS Feed” button, which will give you a 404 error, then go to “Permalinks” under “Settings” in the left-hand side WP column, and click “Save Settings” to generate your custom RSS feeds. Return to the Editors’ Picks admin page and once again click on the “View RSS Feed” button. You will now see your feed.
For more information on how to set up your custom Editors’ Picks, read the following feed tutorial.
Will I lose settings or data if I update to the Premium WordPress Google News Plugin?
Good news! No. Without getting into the weeds, if you follow the instructions (i.e. deactivate feeds plugin first) the premium version will use the same database table and settings.
2.1 – July 31, 2017
- Several Compat Issues
- Complete revamp and coding for premium version
- Add-ons page
2.0 – November 14, 2016
- Fixed the featured image disappearing
- Several long overdue fixes applied to premium prior
- Complete revamp to style and coding for premium version
1.6.1 – June 9, 2015
- Fixed the image uploader. Uploaded wrong js. file last update.
1.6 – February 4, 2015
- Fixed the magically disappearing meta box.
1.5 – January 30, 2015
- Changed from “Exclude” articles to “Include” via multiple customer requests.
- Improved performance on article query to reduce server load even more!
- Changed to new WP Query to avoid periodical issues with including feeds.
- Fixed “Missing/Incorrect Header” error.
1.2 – December 8, 2014
- Added additional tutorials to optimize sites.
- Improved performance on post query to reduce server load even more!
- Added tip jar.
1.0 – November 17, 2014
- Version 1.0 Initial Release