Create backgrounds as a content type. Select your backgrounds for any page. Many options and multiple layers available with only a few clicks.
|Author:||AddFunc (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0.1|
|WordPress version tested:||5.0.4|
|Added to WordPress repository:||29-11-2018|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||1 231|
Click to start download
Build your Background with multiple layers.
Select your Background on any Post, Page or other public post type (custom or otherwise).
Why doesn’t the gradient work when I have and image selected? Why does the image display and not the gradient?
In CSS, a gradient is considered an image, so only one of these can be displayed on any given layer. If you wish to overlap an image and a gradient, try adding them to different layers.
Why doesn’t the Parallax setting work on the Body, Window, Wall or Overlay layers?
These layers each have a special purpose and would be unworkable (even disastrous) as a CSS parallax layer.
The Body layer is the
<body> of your web page. If this were used for a CSS parallax layer itself, it would break the entire page. It has to house all of the other layers of the parallax. The
<body> element is the reason this CSS parallax scrolling effect works.
The purpose of the Window is to cover the top “above the fold” area of the page. The purpose of the Wall is to cover the remaining “below the fold” area of the page. The purpose of the Overlay is to cover the entire page. Therefore, these would not make sense as parallax layers. Further, if they used as parallax layers, they would not be able to serve their nomenclatural purpose.
Using the 4 Image layers and the Video layer provide a lot of dimension to the parallax. It is recommended to use only these for this effect, as adding too many layers can slow down page interaction response time and degrade the user experience.
Much research and experimentation was done to determine the optimum method for a parallax effect. Though there are pros and cons to each, we chose the CSS method for it’s performance purposes. The CSS method utilizes graphic card acceleration, which in most cases will provide the most ideal user experience.
This is in consideration.
Why is my video muted?
Videos are muted because the purpose of a background video is for it to display as a background. This can distract visitors from your content enough as it is, which is probably why smartphones will not autoplay your video unless it is muted.
28 Nov 2018
- Removes the metabox from post types which are not public.
- Uploaded to the WordPress Plugin Directory.
26 Nov 2018
- Adds support for shortcodes in the Raw HTML field of each layer.
- Makes minor tweaks to improve admin UI.
- Submitted to the WordPress Repository.
15 Nov 2018
- Adds preset Gradient swatches.
- Adds arrows to X/Y Position control box.
14 Nov 2018
- Adds clear buttons (Xs) to admin editing page, to remove field values of:
13 Nov 2018
- Adds visual queues to admin Background editing page:
- Color displays in layer pane.
- Gradient displays in layer pane.
- Image displays in layer pane (overwrites gradient).
- Layer pane background image reflects Fill setting.
- Layer pane background image reflects Repeat setting.
- Layer pane background image reflects Background Scrolling setting.
- Layer pane background image reflects X/Y Position setting.
1 Nov 2018
- Adds a color picker.
30 Oct 2018
- Minor tweaks and fixes.
- Adds wrappers to objects and videos to be utilized for better CSS control.
25 Oct 2018
- Adds Opacity setting to each layer (except the
- Corrects CSS dependencies:
- Match Height of Page: overwrites Parallax and On Scroll, Stick to Screen (per layer).
- Parallax: ignores On Scroll, Stick to Screen (affects entire page).
- On Scroll, Stick to Screen: therefore requires both Match Height of Page and Parallax to be off.
- This is because CSS doesn’t support otherwise (or not reliably). We don’t want to allow the options that CSS won’t support.
- Adjusts admin UI to reflect the above CSS dependencies and handle some unclarities.
- Fixes several issues found, mostly conflicting settings and CSS.
18 Oct 2018
- Adds name (slug) of Background to
bodyelement class list.
- Adds custom class field for the
bodyelement to add more classes.
- Separates two blocks of code into their own files for better organization.
- All admin CSS is now in: /css/admin.css
- All Metabox code is now in: /metaboxes.php
26 Sep 2018
- Adds parallax support detection to disable parallax on iOS and non-parallax-supporting devices:
- iOS looses inertial scrolling with all of these CSS properties at play for the parallax effect.
- Lose of inertial scrolling is a deal-killer, so its best to disable parallax for iOS instead.
- Support for “-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch” is used to identify iOS.
- Additionally, support for “perspective: 1px” is checked, to disable parallax where that is not supported.
- Improves Background edit page:
- Hides the Z Position field if Parallax is turned off (so its hidden by default).
24 Sep 2018
- Adds Parallax to General Settings
- Parallax requires a lot of CSS, which affects a lot of things, so it really needs to be all or nothing.
- Adds ‘translateZ’ defaults to Video layer and Image Layers 1-4, so parallax can be flipped on easily.
? Sep 2018
- Adds Media Library to new Backgrounds (otherwise, they had to be saved once in order for the Media Library to load).
17 Sep 2018
- Applies fix made in 0.3.1.
13 Sep 2018
- Removes Alt Attribute field. Object elements don’t use the alt attribute, so this option doesn’t make sense.
- Fixes Media Library pop-up, which wasn’t working on new Backgrounds.
- Adds object option to layers which were missing it.
10 Sep 2018
- Removes content area.
- Improves expanding boxes with a more WordPress-native look and feel.
- Adds Raw HTML option to each layer. =O
17 Sep 2018
- Fixes check for $post->ID (WordPress was throwing an error on 404 pages and possibly other non-post pages).
06 Sep 2018
- Got a whole bunch of $#!+ work’n. Pretty much everything except for the Content field.
- Fixes a ton of PHP errors, mostly due to undefined variables.
- Adds array to keep variables organized and make it easier to declare all needed variables.
- Adds the standard set of controls to all layers, except where not applicable:
- ‘aFBg___On’ = Show/hide controls
- ‘aFBg___Im’ = Image URL (for the video layer it’s $aFBgVideo)
- ‘aFBg___Gr’ = Gradient rule
- ‘aFBg___Co’ = Background color
- ‘aFBg___Fx’ = Fixed (background scrolling)
- ‘aFBg___Fl’ = Fill (cover, contain, etc.)
- ‘aFBg___Rp’ = Repeat
- ‘aFBg___XY’ = Horizontal and vertical positioning
- ‘aFBg___Ht’ = Whether to conform to height of window or page
- ‘aFBg___Sn’ = Whether to stick to page or screen on scroll
- ‘aFBg____Z’ = Distance (for scrolling parallax effect)
- ‘aFBg___Ob’ = Whether or not to output layer as an
– ‘aFBg___Al’ = Alt attribute text (alternative video source for video layer)
— Aug 2018
- More comprehensive Background Edit page using CSS, visual queues and better layout.
- Removes certain obsolete options, as better generated automatically.
- Adds more user-friendly options.
- Random list of some of the changes in this version:
- Adds control for positioning element/background along X and Y axis.
- Adds toggle switches for contrast and better visual comprehension.
- Adds more expanding/contracting areas, to hide unused features.
- Adds “Match Height of:” option to certain layers.
- Adds “On Scroll, Stick to:” option to certain layers.
- Generalizes gradient field, so all gradient types are possible.
- Adds Z axis field (parallax) to Video layer.
- Adds Overlay layer output.
18 Apr 2018
- Cleaner Background Edit page metabox using some CSS.
- Adds Window Wall
17 Apr 2018
- Cleaner code, as well as Background Edit page metabox layout.
- Got some gradients working for the most part.
16 Apr 2018
- Cleaner code, making it more concise.
- Lots more features.
29 Mar 2018
- Adds more awesome.
- At the point of making the options do stuff.
- Last thing: got video type pulled from video file name for tag
28 Mar 2018
- Adds all kinds of awesome.
- Got to the point of adding “Background Type” options to the metabox on the Background Edit page.