Automatically redirect to the content the user was most likely after, or show suggestions, instead of showing an unhelpful 404 error.
|Author:||Michael Tyson (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||2.6|
|WordPress version tested:||3.0.5|
|Added to WordPress repository:||07-10-2008|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||107 596|
|Active installs:||8 000+|
Click to start download
Save your visitors from unhelpful 404 errors!
Instead of quickly giving up when a visitor reaches content that doesn't exist, make an effort to guess what they were after in the first place. This plugin will perform a search of your posts, pages, tags and categories, using keywords from the requested URL. If there's a match, redirect to that content instead of showing the error. If there's more than one match, the 404 template can use some template tags to provide a list of suggestions to the visitor.
See the Smart 404 homepage for more information.
- Unzip the package, and upload
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
<?php smart404_suggestions() ?>in your 404 template to list suggested posts, or see ‘Template tags’ for more information.
- Revised search algorithm
- Bugfix to avoid clobbering page search results when pages are prioritised over posts (Thanks to Mark Foxwell for the catch)
- More robust pattern matching – works with .php URL extensions, and works better with underscores.
- Removed errant debug statement
- Now actually fixed redirection bug, missed in 0.4
- Added prioritising of pages, posts, tags and categories for search
- Added a new template tag to retrieve search terms
- Fixed redirection bug (thanks Emil Janizek!)
- Don’t get confused by URL parameters
- Maintain GET parameters
- Slightly smarter post matching – now matches against post title, even if post slug differs
- Bugfix for when no replacement patterns are specified
- Better URL filtering to work with URLs including /trackback, /feed, etc
- Trim whitespace from search in order to obtain more results in some circumstances