Search and Filtering for Custom Posts, Categories, Tags and Taxonomies
|Author:||Designs & Code (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.5|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.6|
|Added to WordPress repository:||12-09-2013|
|Total downloads:||239 183|
|Active installs:||30 000+|
Click to start download
Full example of Search & Filter when used in a widget and with a combination of checkboxes, radio buttons and selects
Minimal example of Search & Filter embedded in the header
Minimal example of Search & Filter embedded in a widget
Example of Search & Filter using a post type filter
- Upload the entire
search-filterfolder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
You will find ‘Search & Filter’ menu in your WordPress admin panel.
For basic usage, you can also have a look at the plugin homepage or refer to the
Search & Filter menu in your WordPress admin panel.
How can I xxxxx ?
The documentation has been updated to include examples almost all configurable options with screenshots – please refer to the Search & Filter Docs.
- Fixed – an issue with our syntax highlighting script modifying our shortcodes
- Fixed – bugs with WP 4.4 compatibility
- Fixed – an issue with operators being case sensitive – they are no longer case sensitive
- Fixed – an issue with rewrites – thanks @iohannis
- Fixed – fix for new taxonomy rewrites and problems with multiple selection when using checkboxes
- Fixed – added previously hidden
- Fixed – compatibility issues with WP 4.2.x
- Fixed a PHP error when setting defaults for taxonomies – many users did not see this but resulted in unexpected behaviour
- Fixed an error with post date sometimes being undefined for blank searches
- Added argument
empty_search_url– when a users submits the search form without any search preferences selected they will be redirected to this URL
- Updated argument
add_search_param– setting to
1will force add a “?s=” to all urls generate by the plugin – this may help with the loading of search templates in some themes
- Fixed a bug created in 1.2.3 when doing an empty search
- Added arguement
all_items_labelswhich allows for support for custom
all_itemslabels in taxonomies, categories, post tags and post types when using
radiotypes – the default text displaying “All Categories” for example can now be defined using
show_countto arguments – this shows how many posts are in a particular term, in brackets after the term name – works only for categories, tags and taxonomies
- Fixed a bug when using when using “all post types” and it displaying no results
- Reverted behaviour from 1.2.2 – no longer force load search template when search is blank – let WP handle it again
- Added argument
add_search_param– setting it to
1will force a “?s=” or “&s=” to be added to the url even when the search is blank – in some circumstances this will force load the search template, instead of other WP templates, such as taxonomy or category templates
- Added support for multi selects – use
multiselectas the type for your field
- Added support for AND & OR operators when using checkboxes or multiselects – use the
operatorsargument with allowed values of
- Force load search template when search is blank, don’t include when search field is not included in shortcode
- Fixed an issue with navigation disappearing when using post_types
- Version Bump – bad commit
- WARNING – this update includes some major changes to shortcode construction, do not upgrade until you have read how this will affect your setup – updating should be easy.
- Renamed the
taxonomiesis now no longer appropriate as this list contains field types other than taxonomies – this list now contains taxonomies,
taxonomiesas an argument is still supported however will be deprecated
- Search box can now be positioned anywhere, simply include
searchin the fields list in the position desired. Upgrading from previous versions will cause you to lose your search box, simply include
searchin the fields list to show it again
- Drop support for
searchargument as no longer relevant – control display of search input by adding it to the
- Labels have been completely rewritten –
labelhas been renamed to
headingsto avoid confusion with internal taxonomy labels – the
headingsargument now allows for any text to be added and displayed as a heading for each field – this allows for much more flexibility and no longer uses internal taxonomy labels – to hide a label simply leave blank
- Added support for hierarchical taxonomies for all input types – checkbox, radio & select
- Added support for ordering of taxonomies – use
order_byargument – allowed values are
- Added support for ordering direction of taxonomies – use
order_dirargument – allowed values are ‘asc’ or ‘desc’
- Added support to show or hide empty taxonomies – use
- Added support for
post_datefunctionality to work with older versions of WP – can be displayed either as
post_datefield uses the HTML 5 input type of
date– browsers that do not support it will simply show a text box – a tutorial of integrating jquery for graceful degredation is in the works
submitlabelstill works for now.
typestill works for now.
- Updated display of checkboxes and radio buttons, inputs are now wrapped in an unordered list which may affect your styling
- Various bug fixes
- Thanks to
bradaricfor help with hierarchical dropdown lists and date input types – https://github.com/bradaric
- Added support for post_date to be displayed either as
daterange(WP 3.7+) type
- Added support for all public and custom post types (the
attachmentpost type is excluded) – all post types can be user searchable or predfined and hidden from the user. This allows for users to add multiple search widgets to their site which work on specific post types independantly from eachother.
- Added offical updated documentation, created and moved to Search & Filter Docs
- Fixed: when submitting an empty search/filter, “?s=” now gets appended to the url (an empty search) to force load a results page, previously this was redirecting to the homepage which does not work for many use cases
- Added support for checkboxes and radio buttons, with the option to control this for each individual taxonomy.
- Added support to show or hide headings for each individual taxonomy.
- Added support to pass a class name through to Search & Filter widgets, this allows styling of different instances of Search & Filter
- Fixed problems with escaping output in search box
- Notice: This update will automatically add headings to taxonomy dropdowns, refer to usage and examples on how to disable them.
- Added some documention & screenshots to plugin page
- Version bump for WordPress plugins site
- Updated to use
label->all_itemsin taxonomy object for dropdowns before using
- Notice: This update may cause some labels to break, ensure you have set up your taxonomy properly including setting
- Initial Release