Light and simple Skype Button plugin (w/ Official or your Skype Status Icons) in post/page/widget or floating. Skype Status updates without refresh.
|Author:||aurimus (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||2.9.2|
|WordPress version tested:||3.5.0|
|Added to WordPress repository:||17-12-2011|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||30 059|
Click to start download
Light and simple Skype for website (with Official or Custom Images) in post/page/widget or floating. Online status updates without page reload.
Official Skype provides limited number of Skype Buttons (status icons) to show Skype online status. This plugin solves the problem by providing a way to use your own images (custom skype status icons) - this is especially useful for web designers who would like to make skype better fit to their design theme. You can have skype status icons with transparent background (provided by default) and also have transparent skype button itself.
Some websites are used for long periods of time without pressing the browser reload button to refresh the page. Normal Skype button can mislead users in this case by showing incorrect status. This wordpress skype plugin refreshes the status of skype button automatically by sending AJAX http requests (with chosen interval of time between refreshes). This can be useful for gaming websites or some websites that rely heavily on Flash, Java-aplet or AJAX technologies (that don't require page refresh to function).
This can also serve as simple skype button.
- Customize your skype button icon (or use official).
- Skype AJAX status - auto-refresh without page reload.
- Transparent background and transparent Skype status icons.
- Simple admin interface with only useful settings: skype button click action, update interval, theme and some other...
- Insert to post/page with shortcode or sidebar as skype wordpress widget.
- Very light and simple - only what you need and not more.
Neat Skype Status v2
- Multiple skype buttons and accounts in widget - can be used to present your team members.
- Make your design better - customize skype button widget style.
- Never miss a contact - many buttons in one. Skype Button that changes automatically to display status for skype contact who is found online. This is useful if you have multiple people that visitors can contact - you can choose to display them all or have all in one.
- Change how you want to be contacted from skype! You can choose an option for skype button to dynamically change the action according to your skype status (Call if Online, Chat if Busy, Leave voicemail if offline etc.)
Download after supporting my positive cause: HERE
Add skype widget to website with multiple skype status buttons - it can become a board of skype statuses with names and custom style. Sort of Custom Skype for website that displays who is online from your company (of employers / players etc.).
v2 Features (in detail)
- Choose between additional skype button icons: translated to other languages, actions (skype call me button and other)
- Visible name and text for showing when button is hovered;
- Set coordinates and transparency for floating skype button in dashboard;
- Dynamic Request Timeout to ease server load on high traffic.
- Display skype status with plain text instead of images;
- Set initial skype button status to display while true status is unknown (skype servers lagging);
- In Neat Skype Button widget - choose between Row (skype buttons from left to right), Board (Skype button and visible name in each row) or Integrated (multiple accounts in one button) views;
- Set skype button action "Map to status" for any account to be able to change it from your PC skype application;
- Choose Skype button widget style or define new one;
v2: Animation of how can you control button action by changing your status
v2: Widget with ColorWay theme.
v2: Output of skype status in plain text.
v2: Custom styles
v2: Receive a call when you want to, get a message when you are busy or voicemail when you are offline. And control it from your skype.
v2: You can edit the text in wordpress dashboard
v2: Integrated option makes it easy for your visitors.
v2: Animation of board and integrated options
Neat settings. In v2 you can see previews of icons for each theme.
v2: Floating widget so people can always find you.
v2: Put skype button anywhere! You can set coordinates in wordpress dashboard setting in v2
EXAMPLE of Custom Skype icons - floating, shortcode and skype widget.
What is this different from usual Skype Button from Official website ?
You can use your own images to represent Skype Online Status and it refresh it automatically without reloading the page.
v2: All skype buttons in one (shows the first online account found), ability to change skype button action (call, chat etc.) by changing your status and status in plain text.
What is this better than other plugins that I can find?
See question above AND it’s much more lightweight, other plugins I found were full of stuff that (I think) nobody would use and it just slows down your website for such a small thing like Skype button.
It always shows offline, what’s wrong?
Make sure you set your skype status visible on the web in your Skype settings (Menu: Skype -> Privacy…) the option “Allow my skype online status to be shown on the web”
- New styles and buttons
- New: Multiple skype buttons in widget – can be used like a web skype for your visitors.
- New: Ability to customize widget style.
- New: Never miss a contact – many buttons in one. Skype Button that changes automatically to display status for skype contact who is found online. This is useful if you have multiple people that visitors can contact – you can choose to display them all or have all in one.
- New: You can choose an option to dynamically change the action of skype button according to your skype status (Call if Online, Chat if Busy, Leave voicemail if offline etc.)
- New: Custom text tooltip for hover over button.
- New: New admin interface with button icons previews while selecting skype icons theme. Setting floating skype button coordinates and transparency with sliders.
- New: Ability to add image for hovering with mouse. So when you hover the image turns to something else.
- New: Ability to use plain text to display skype status instead of icons.
- Fix: Optimized AJAX system to be more effective.
- All updates from v1
- Critical fix (adaptation to MS Skype API changes). Must do if you want the plugin to work!
- I brought many improvements to v2 that I wanted to bring to v1 (see 1.3.0 bellow) but because of lack of time, couldn’t do it! I’ll do it in the future, meanwhile if you like v1 – donate something you can and get v2. Thanks.
- Improvement: Now you can put only one or 2 images to theme folder and that will work.
- Fix: some small bug fixes, including IE issues.
- Small bug fixes
- New: Improved performance and response time. Important update for high traffic websites and/or websites running on low resources servers. Now using wordpress transients to cache skype servers response.
- New: status does not change if skype server times out or returns ‘unknown’ status. This makes it stable while skype servers are lagging.
- Fixed bug that would make critical php error because of white space output before headers.
- The the admin side is more neat now.
- Fix: Now using wp_remote_get instead of fopen to get status. This allows to timeout request and send new one if skype servers are lagging.
- Fix: Now works with MS Internet Explorer v7, v8 and v9
- Fix: Works even if no settings are saved (does not throw PHP warnings)
- Fix: Now version handling is done correctly and appropriate settings saved between updates.
- New: New AJAX requests are now sent only after previous request is completed.
- New: Put -1 for interval to disable AJAX calls (only one initial call will be made)
- New: Option to remove settings after uninstall and better version management
- Fix: Cosmetical fix for settings
- Fix: If images for SkypeMe or Not available are not found – it falls back to online or away accordingly
- Fix: html is not affected on each AJAX request – only when status changes (reduces flickering)
- New: more skype status icons
- More important settings are now on the top
- Some bug fixes
- New: option to preload skype button images to avoid flickering on first skype status changes after page reload
- New: Skype CSS was simplified
- New: All official I could produce on Skype website
- New: Can choose initial image to load while loading page without
- Readme changes.
- Initial release.
1.3.0 (in development)
- New: Custom text tooltip for hover over button. Default available for translation.
- New: Translation ready! Now you can localize the plugin (including admin interface). Please send me translations to email@example.com and I will add it for everybody to use
- Improvement: Only two images are required (1.png and 2.png), however putting at least one image in the theme folder will work. Names for images are also supported: unknown.png, offline.png, online.png, away.png, notavailable.png donotdisturb.png, skypeme.png