Display the latest sports headlines for a specified team, a specific sport, or overall, in your sidebar as a widget.
|Author:||James Hawkins (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0|
|WordPress version tested:||4.0.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||13-08-2012|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||5 512|
Click to start download
Jockspin Sports Headlines plugin enables you to show the latest sports headlines, as fetched by sports news aggregator and publisher JockSpin (http://jockspin.com), in your Sidebar. This plugin installs a widget, which you can then place within your site from the WordPress admin panel. Within the widget settings you can customize your heading, specify which headlines (team, sport, region, or all sports) to have displayed, and whether to have links open in a new window. Plugin works great for adding additional content to a sports oriented site or for adding related sports headlines to a more general site.
The main features of this plugin are:
- A large number (approximately 340) sports, teams, leagues, and regions to choose from.
- Choose the number of headlines to display.
- Text for title of widget can be customized.
- Caches locally for speedy rendering.
- Displays using your css settings so as to be consistent with your site.
- Links can be set to open in a new window by checking a box within the widget.
Will the plugin fetch data everytime a user reloads the page?
No, the plugin initially gets the sports headlines and stores in the cache. After that, it will obtain results from the locally stored cache, unless 20 minutes have passed since the last time, in which case the cache and results will be refreshed.
How often does the cache update?
The cache updates whenever you change any widget settings or when accessed more than 20 minutes since the last time a cache was generated.
Plugin displays in the sidebar, but headlines are missing. Why?
Please check the “plugins/jockspin-sports-headlines” folder permissions (chmod) to ensure they are set to 777.
- Improvement in widget initialization process.
- Added the option in admin panel to open news headlines in new window.
- Modified to maintain category upon initial selection.
- Added support for displaying headlines by regions
- Initial Release