Retrieving Geo-Information using the Maxmind GeoIP (Lite) Database.
|Author:||Yellow Tree (Benjamin Pick) (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.5|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||04-07-2013|
|Total downloads:||79 138|
|Active installs:||10 000+|
Click to start download
- Install the plugin
- Go to the plugin’s option page and choose a data source.
- Test it by clicking on “Lookup” on the lookup page.
- Maxmind vendor code was updated to the current version (2.7.0).
- FIX: There was a fatal error when using PHP 7.2 (thx jj-dev)
- FIX: The automatic update of Maxmind Geoip2 Lite City database was fixed.
- FIX: Always try to fill in more information into the country information from the GeoNames-DB.
(Was not released on wordpress.org)
- FIX: Localhost now always is a trusted proxy (for standard reverse proxy configurations, however the checkbox “uses a reverse proxy” still needs to be activated.)
- FIX: Timezone was overwritten by country data even though the maxmind data had already detected a timezone.
- ADD: If the manual datasource is used, the file will continue to be found if the site is moved to another host
- Maxmind vendor code was updated to the current version (2.6.0).
- PHP 5.4 is now required (due to the maxmind library).
- ADD: The options array of
geoip_detect2_get_info_from_ipnow has a new parameter for overriding the current source for a single lookup. See API usage examples
- ADD: New filter
geoip_detect2_shortcode_country_select_countriesfor the country list of
- ADD: New constant
GEOIP_DETECT_IP_EMPTY_CACHE_TIMEthat can be used to specify a shorter cache time in case temporarily no external IP was found.
- FIX: Compatibility with CF 4.6 (remove deprecated function call)
- Maxmind vendor code was updated to the current version (2.4.5).
- ADD: New datasources for Cloudflare & Amazon AWS CloudFront (countries for current IP only).
- ADD: Country information (names, lat/lon, continent, localized in the different languages) are now filled in for sources that only detect the country code (Cloudflare, Amazon, hostip.info)
- ADD: 2 shortcodes for Contact Form 7 (a select with all countries
[geoip_detect2_countries mycountry], and tracking information for the email text
[geoip_detect2_user_info]) – see Documentation
- FIX: Cron scheduling is checked every time you visit the plugin page.
- FIX: Timezones of US & Canada are now detected more often (if country+state is known)
- FIX: Shortcode didn’t use current sitelang as default, but always english
- Maxmind vendor code was updated to the current version (2.4.2).
- ADD: Shortcodes can now optionally specifiy the IP:
[geoip_detect2 property="country.isoCode" ip="(ipv4 or ipv6)"]
- ADD: Plugin is now translated into German.
geoip_detect2_get_info_from_current_ip()now also handles the case when REMOTE_ADDR contains multiple IP adresses
- FIX: Removed noticed concerning open_basedir.
- Clean-up changes to prepare plugin translation.
- FIX: Only show the “no database installed” admin notice to admins (props @meitar)
- FIX: Manual datasource filepath handling corrected.
- FIX: Potential incompability with BuddyPress removed.
- FIX: (Security) Add nonces to backend to avoid CSRF (thanks to Gerard Arall).
- FIX: Do not use PHP shortcode tags (<?=) as some servers do not support it with PHP 5.3
- Maxmind vendor code was updated to the current version (2.3.3).
- FIX: Also disallow proxy caching via HTTP header, if possible.
- NEW: Shortcodes for the other API functions:
- FIX: geoip_detect2_get_external_ip_adress() : do not filter if $unfiltered is true.
- FIX: Upgrade script did change the source.
- FIX: Page caching is only disabled on upgrade when
- CHANGE: The parameter $skipCache is now $options[‘skipCache’]. Using $skipCache is deprecated, but still works.
- NEW: $options[‘timeout’] for Web-API lookups can now be specified.
- FIX: Hostip.info did not set traits->ipAddress
- FIX: Hostip.info does not include data for IPv6. Add a lookup error message.
- NEW: Disable page caching if geoip-API was called (this is configurable in the options). (Supported plugins: WP Super Cache, W3 Total Cache, ZenCache, and possibly others)
- Maxmind vendor code was updated to the current version (2.3.1).
- FIX: Options Page: The checkboxes didn’t show (even though the option was saved) since 2.4.0
- NEW: A fixed external IP can now be specified on the options page. (Useful in development scenarios without internet, or mixed internet/intranet cases. You can also use this to speed up things on the production server if you know the IP will not change.)
- NEW: Hidden feature/side-effect: Clicking on save in the General Options section also empties the external IP cache.
- FIX: Trim whitespace of IP adress.
- FIX: some PHP notices.
- FIX: The Installation message “No database installed” failed to install the Maxmind database since 2.4.0
- NEW: Show IPv6-not-supported notice.
- FIX: Add empty fallback functions in case the plugin requirements are not met. (To avoid fatal errors.)
- FIX: Revert IPv6 check. (Sorry for this. I thought PHP compiled without IPv6 would be esoteric.)
This is a major refactor in order to support multiple sources properly. The Lookup and the Options were seperated into 2 screens (accessible in the menu under
- NEW: Add a Cache for Web-API-Requests. Consequently, the function geoip_detect2_get_info_from_ip() received a new parameter “$skipCache” to skip this cache if not needed. You can check if the result is coming from the cache by checking $result->extra->cached (it is 0 when not cached, UNIX timestamp of cache event otherwise).
- This also applies to the shortcode API (
[geoip_detect2 property="extra.cached" skip_cache="true"])
- NEW: Error messages during lookup are now in
- NEW: Experimental support for the Maxmind Precision API.
- NEW: Shortcodes now also support fallback languages. (
[geoip_detect2 property="country" lang="fr,de"])
- FIX: Check for IPv6 support for PHP.
- FIX: Country data now also get timezones.
- NEW: API function geoip_detect2_get_current_source_description() (as there are different sources to choose from now)
- FIX: Show error message if PHP < 5.3 (instead of fatal error)
- NEW: Add HostIP.info-Support
- FIX: Update Maxmind Reader to 1.0.3 (fixing issues when the PHP extension mbstring was not installed)
- NEW: Commercial databases are now supported. You can specify a file path in the options.
- NEW: A country database (lite or commercial) database now works as well.
- NEW: License is now displayed before install.
- FIX: Show error message if PHP < 5.3 (instead of fatal error)
- FIX: Support multiple proxies (but currently only one reverse proxy)
- FIX: Notice “Database missing” should not show during/right after database update.
- NEW: A nagging admin notice shows up on every wp-admin page when no database is installed (yet).
- NEW: Using v2 version of the API.
See Migration Guide at Github
- NEW: The v2-functions now support location names in other locales. By default, they return the current site language if possible.
- NEW: The new shortcode [geoip_detect2 …] also supports a “lang”-Attribute.
- NEW: IPv6 addresses are now supported as well.
- Legacy function names and shortcode should work in most cases. For details check the guide above.
(Was not released on wordpress.org to make sure that development releases get this update as well.)
- NEW: Support reverse proxies (you have to enable it in the plugin options.)
- NEW: Shortcode now has a default value when no information for this IP found.
- FIX: Fatal error on cron run
- FIX: Schedule Database update to do in background immediately after plugin installation/re-activation.
- FIX: Longitude can be smaller than -90
- NEW: Can add a country- and continent-specific class on the body tag. You need to activate this in the options.
- FIX: Automatic weekly update. (Didn’t work on all installations).
- FIX: Do not include Maxmind Libraries again if already included by another plugin/theme
- FIX: Automatic weekly update. Go to the plugin page (Tools menu) to verify that an update is planned.
- Feature: Add shortcode [geoip_detect property=”(property name)”] for direct use in posts/pages
- FIX: Manual install works again (was broken since 1.2)
- FIX: property region_name is now filled again (was broken since 1.1)
- Add function
geoip_detect_get_external_ip_adress(): Ask a webservice to tell me the external IP of the webserver.
- New filter: When developing locally, the external IP is used to determine the geographic location.
- First working release.