Reduce image file sizes and improve performance using the Smush.it API within WordPress.
|Author:||WPMU DEV (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||5.2|
|WordPress version tested:||5.7|
|Added to WordPress repository:||05-12-2008|
|Total downloads:||28 829 956|
|Active installs:||1 000 000+|
Click to start download
Optimize your images, turn on lazy load, resize, compress and improve your Google Page Speed with the incredibly powerful and 100% free WordPress image smusher/compressor, brought to you by the superteam at WPMU DEV!
And whether you spell it ‘optimise’ or ‘optimize’, Smush will compress all your images without a visible drop in quality and optimize your page speed using its unique compression algorithm.
Award Winning Image Optimizer
Smush has been benchmarked and tested number one for speed and quality and is the award-winning, back-to-back proven crowd favorite image optimization plugin for WordPress.
- Lossless Compression – Compress unused data without affecting image quality
- Lazy Load – Defer offscreen images with the flip of a switch
- Bulk Smush – Optimize, compress and shrink up to 50 images with one click
- Image Resizing – Set a max width and height and large images will scale down as they are being compressed
- Incorrect Size Image Detection – Quickly locate images that are slowing down your page speed
- Directory Smush – Optimize and shrink images even if they are not located in the media library
- Automated Optimization – Asynchronously auto-smush your attachments for super fast compression on upload
- Without Monthly Limits – Optimize all of your images up to 5MB in size free forever (no daily, monthly, or annual caps)
- Gutenberg Block Integration – View all Smush stats directly in image blocks
- Multisite Compatible – Both global and individual Multisite settings
- Process All Your Files – Smush will process PNG, JPEG and GIF files for optimum results
- Super Servers – Smush images with no slowdown using WPMU DEV’s fast, reliable Smush API
- Convert to WebP (Pro Only) – Upgrade and automatically serve images in Next-Gen WebP
- And many, many, more!
Preserve Image Quality
Some image compression tools destroy images with as much as a 30% loss in quality. Our servers compress hidden bulky information from your images and reduce file size without affecting the appearance.
Smush meticulously scans every image you upload – or have already added to your site – compresses all the unnecessary data and scales it for you before adding it to your media library. Don’t worry about responsive images, we’ll take care of those too.
Compress any Image in any Directory
In addition to smushing your media uploads, you may want to compress the images stored in other folders. Smush now lets you compress any image in any directory so that you can optimize all the images on your site – including NextGEN images, images stored on Amazon S3 using WP Offload Media and images in EVERY WordPress plugin and theme package! Compress images to instantly boost your page speed.
Compatible with Your Favorite Themes, Builders and Media Library Plugins
No matter what theme or plugins you use to better manage your WordPress media library, Smush has you covered. Check out just a few of the popular products Smush is working with to help make your site faster and more efficient:
- WP All Import
- WP Offload Media
- WP Media Folder
- WP Retina 2x
- NextGen Gallery
- Envira Gallery
- Avada Fusion Builder
- And many, many, more!
Incorrect Size Image Detection
Smush includes a wrong size image finder. Activate and your images will be highlighted with smart tips for scaling your images. Quickly locate the images that are keeping you from solving your Google PageSpeed Recommendations and then compress them.
Defer Offscreen Images
“I had no idea that my page load time was being dragged down by the images. The plugin nearly halved the time it took.” – karlcw
“I optimise my photos in Photoshop, but Smush makes it so easy – it does it automatically. I can just sit back and enjoy the speed.” – helen432
“Smush helped reduce the total files size on my site and increased browsing speed. Well done guys!” – pdci
“It’s very discrete and does not bother me with an API key or other additional installation steps. The main dashboard of the plugin gives me nice insight. Overall it really fits my needs and I’ll be willing to upgrade to pro if my needs change. I’d recommend it to clients/friends without hesitation. Keep it up!” – tarkan_
What about Multisite?
Smush can be used to optimize all the images across your entire network! Use global settings or configure each site individually.
Smush is super easy to use – no confusing compression software settings. Smush images in your library one at a time or bulk smush up to 50 images at a time. Plus, configure auto-smush to asynchronously scale and compress some or all of your images as they are being uploaded – it’s incredibly fast.
The faster your site loads, the more Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines will like it. Your site will load faster and rank higher.
- Hummingbird – Page Speed Optimization
- Hustle – Pop-ups, Slide-ins and Email Opt-ins
- SmartCrawl – SEO Optimizer
- Defender – Security, Monitoring, and Hack Protection
- Forminator – Form, Poll, and Quiz Builder
- Beehive – Customizable Google Analytics Dashboards
- Branda – Branding and White Label
Smush can take care of all your image compression & image resize needs, for free!
However, if you’d like Super Smush lossy compression, fast CDN image delivery, WebP conversion, automatic resizing, the ability to optimize (or optimise) images up to 32MB, bulk smush optimization for all your images in just one-click, auto-convert PNG to JPEG, the ability to Smush and make a copy of your full-sized images (to restore them at any point) you can always take the next step with WP Smush Pro.
Smush does not interact with end users on your website. The only input option Smush has is to a newsletter subscription for site admins only.
Smush uses a third-party email service (Mailchimp) to send informational emails (Opt-in) to the site administrator. The administrator’s email address is sent to Mailchimp and a cookie is set by the service. Only administrator information is collected by Mailchimp.
Smush sends images to the WPMU DEV servers to optimize them for web use. This includes the transfer of EXIF data. The EXIF data will either be stripped or returned as it is. It is not stored on the WPMU DEV servers.
WPMU DEV is a premium supplier of quality WordPress plugins, services and support. Learn more here:
Don’t forget to stay up to date on everything WordPress from the Internet’s number one resource:
WPMU DEV Blog
Hey, one more thing… we hope you enjoy our free offerings as much as we’ve loved making them for you!
Contact and Credits
Originally written by Alex Dunae at Dialect (dialect.ca, e-mail ‘alex’ at ‘dialect dot ca’), 2008-11.
Simple to get started with the Smush setup wizard.
Watch as your image library is processed – up to 50 images at a time.
Set automatic smush to resize and optimize every image as it is uploaded.
Smush will find and optimize images for you.
This means your images were not properly scaled for where they are being displayed. Scaling images before uploading them can be time-consuming but can save space and speedup load time. First, determine what size your image needs to be. You can use the built-in images size detector included in the free version of Smush to find what height and width your image should be. Once you know how large the image should be, scale your images to the right size.
Lazy Load will defer your offscreen images from loading until they are needed. From the Smush Dashboard, select Lazy Load and click Activate. Smush Lazy Load works out of the box or can be customized based on your needs.
Tip: If you’re having any issues or want to save a ton of time, the Smush Pro CDN includes auto-resizing.
Nope. WordPress crops and resizes every image you upload for embedding on your site. By default, Smush only compresses these cropped and resized images, not your original full-size images. To compress your original full-sized images, use Smush Pro.
GIF files are large and can’t be optimized much. They should only be used if the image is animated.
PNG is best for computer generated graphics (vectors, logos, fonts, etc.), images with few colors or images with transparency.
JPG should be used for photography or images with a lot of color variation.
Tip: The Smush Pro CDN includes WebP compression – sharper images that are 25 to 30 percent smaller than JPEG and PNG files.
Yes! EXIF data stores camera settings, focal length, date, time, and location information in image files. EXIF data makes image files larger but if you are a photographer, you may want to preserve this information. We have included the option to preserve EXIF image data in Smush.
First, check to see if you’re receiving any server errors. If your images seem to be processing correctly, check the file size of the images being skipped. Images over 5mb will be skipped. To compress images up to 32mb, get Smush Pro.
Great question! It is important to understand Smush is an optimization tool that uses lossless image compression to save disk storage space and speed up your site. Smush squeezes data from your image files that will save space, resize huge images, and improve speed without changing quality.
You can track file size changes in your media library, individual image savings, directory savings, and Smush total savings with Smush stats. If you want to see some additional magic, run before-and-after page-speed tests with WP Checkup or Google PageSpeed Insights. Every little bit of resource savings is important when it comes to page-speed!
Optimizing all the image sizes generated by WordPress, images being imported from plugins and themes, and images from other web sites is a painful and time-consuming process.
Smush automatically handles optimizing all your images no matter where they come from and can be used as a standalone tool or alongside Photoshop.
WebP and other Next-Gen formats are not supported on all browsers and require fallback images. For that reason, WebP conversion is only available in Smush Pro. Smush Pro converts images to WebP for a 25-30% savings over JPEG and PNG and serves fallback images on unsupported browsers.
It depends what side of the pond you live on…but whether you say optimize, optimise, optimizer, or Smush goddess of speed, this plugin will make sure your images are loading lightning fast.
3.8.4 ( 2021-03-18 )
- Enhance: Compatibility with WordPress 5.7
- Enhance: Lazy load compatibility with Slider Revolution
- Enhance: Apache rules for local WebP on multisite
- Enhance: Apache rules for local WebP on subdirectory installs
- Enhance: Local Webp description texts
- Fix: Backups not properly removing from S3 containers
- Fix: Compatibility with Jetpack Site Accelerator
- Fix: Compatibility with WordPress native lazy loading
- Fix: UI inconsistencies in local WebP module
- Fix: Browser console errors on upgrade page
- Fix: Menu not working on mobile views
- Fix: PHP warnings with images offloaded to S3 buckets
- Fix: Image preview on WPML Media Translation screen
- Fix: Directory Smush empty folder detection
- Fix: Image resize detection UI
- Fix: PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
- Fix: Translation strings
3.8.3 ( 2021-02-10 )
- Enhance: Allow local WebP on WPMU DEV staging sites
- Enhance: Display the WebP test request code and message in the status on failure
- Enhance: Remove unused setting and methods for converting transparent PNGs to JPEG
- Enhance: Validate the paths submitted by the user for Directory smush
- Enhance: Compatibility with WP Offload Media
- Fix: Bulk Smush getting stuck after 100 images on free version
- Fix: Loading of Wistia assets on free version
- Fix: Data usage option not being saved on the free version during the onboarding wizard
- Fix: Do not adjust sizes attribute when automatic resizing on CDN is disabled
- Fix: WebP rules path is wrong in Flywheel sites
- Fix: Extra horizontal line after the last row of the WebP metabox
- Fix: Choose Directory modal not opening when in tabs other than “Directory Smush”
- Fix: Cached list of attachments with backups getting out of sync with backups
- Fix: Empty images in media library after PNG to JPG conversion on servers without “fileinfo” extension
3.8.2 ( 2020-12-09 )
- Enhance: Compatibility with PHP 8.0
- Enhance: Compatibility with WP 5.6
- Enhance: Compatibility with Hub
- Fix: API validation on new installs
3.8.1 ( 2020-12-03 )
- Fix: Error when querying stats from Hub
3.8.0 ( 2020-12-03 )
- New: Local WebP support
- Enhance: Plugin performance
- Enhance: Lazy load module will properly distinguish between single/double quotes
- Enhance: srcset generation speed
- Fix: Image resize detection flagging images that have been auto resized by CDN
- Fix: Lazy Load conflicting with Maintenance plugin
- Fix: PHP warning when saving lazy load settings
- Fix: Copy URL functionality in media library
- Fix: Whitelabel branding
- Fix: Tools link in network admin Settings page
- Fix: Upsell notice breaking after re-checking images
- Fix: smush_check_for_conflicts cron running on every page load
- Fix: Compatibility with SupportCandy plugin
- Fix: Minor UI issues in Tutorials module
- Fix: Minor UI issues in NextGen Smush page
- Fix: CDN image paths on sub-directory installs
3.7.3 ( 2020-11-23 )
- Enhance: Minor UI/UX details
3.7.2 ( 2020-11-10 )
- Enhance: Plugin UI/UX
- Enhance: Compatibility with NextGen
- Fix: CDN parsing of background images
- Fix: Image counter when re-checking images
- Fix: Bulk Smush counter going over total number of images
- Fix: Bulk Smush counter on network admin