Reconfigures the wp_mail() function to use SMTP instead of mail() and creates an options page to manage the settings.
|Author:||WPForms (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.6|
|WordPress version tested:||5.0|
|Added to WordPress repository:||12-09-2007|
|Total downloads:||5 992 265|
|Active installs:||1 000 000+|
Click to start download
WP Mail SMTP Settings page
Gmail / G Suite settings
Send a Test Email
Can I use this plugin to send email via Gmail, G Suite, Outlook.com, Office 365, Hotmail, Yahoo, or AOL SMTP?
Yes! We have extensive documentation that covers setting up SMTP most popular email services.
Read our docs to see the correct SMTP settings for each service.
Help! I need support or have an issue.
Please read our support policy for more information.
I found a bug, now what?
If you’ve stumbled upon a bug, the best place to report it is in the WP Mail SMTP GitHub repository. GitHub is where the plugin is actively developed, and posting there will get your issue quickly seen by our developers (myself and Slava). Once posted, we’ll review your bug report and triage the bug. When creating an issue, the more details you can add to your report, the faster the bug can be solved.
Can you add feature x, y or z to the plugin?
Short answer: maybe.
By all means please contact us to discuss features or options you’d like to see added to the plugin. We can’t guarantee to add all of them, but we will consider all sensible requests. We can be contacted here:
1.4.1 – 2018-12-03
- Fixed: correctly process backslashes in SMTP passwords defined via constants.
- Changed: allow to send a Test Email when Default (none) mailer is selected in plugin settings.
1.4.0 – 2018-11-29
- Added: New option: Do Not Send – block emails from being sent.
- Added: New option: Send HTML or plain text emails when doing an Email Test.
- Added: New option: Mailgun region selection – US and EU (US is default to preserve compatibility).
- Fixed: Compatibility with WordPress 3.6+.
- Fixed: Compatibility with WordPress 5.0.
- Fixed: Constants usage is much more reliable now, works correctly on Multisite. Constants are global accross the whole network.
- Fixed: Preserve multipart emails when using Sendgrid/Mailgun mailers (were converted to HTML-only).
- Fixed: Security hardening.
- Changed: Prefill Email Test page From field with currently logged in user email.
- Changed: Update libraries: google/apiclient-services, google/auth, phpseclib/phpseclib and their dependecies.
- Changed: Display in debug output cURL version if Gmail mailing failed.
- Changed: Display in debug output OpenSSL version if it exists if Gmail/SMTP mailing failed.
- Changed: Display plugin version in dashboard error notice when emailing failed.
- Changed: Do not allow to send Test Email if mailer not configured properly.
- Changed: Notify in plugin admin area that Gmail doesn’t allow to redefine From Name/Email etc.
- Changed: List all constants with descriptions in plugin main file: wp_mail_smtp.php.
- Changed: TGMPA: change descriptions from “Required” to “Recommended” (labels were incorrect).
1.3.3 – 2018-07-05
- Fixed: Compatibility with other plugins, that are using Google Service or Google Client classes.
- Changed: Optimize code loading.
1.3.2 – 2018-06-29
- Make sure that other plugins/themes are not conflicting with our TGMPA library.
1.3.1 – 2018-06-29
- Fixed: Other SMTP: Clear new Debug messages about failed email delivery on next successful email sending.
- Fixed: Introduce conditional autoloader to workaround Gmail PHP 5.5 requirement and its library compatibility issues vs PHP 5.3+ minimum viable plugin version.
1.3.0 – 2018-06-28
- Added: New option: force From Email rewrite regardless of the current value.
- Added: New option: force From Name rewrite regardless of the current value.
- Added: New option: remove all plugin data on plugin uninstall (when user deletes it).
- Added: Notify site admins in wp-admin area with a notice about last failed email delivery. Cleans up on successful delivery.
- Added: Notify site admins in wp-admin area with a notice about possible compatibility issues with other SMTP and email delivery plugins.
- Added: Improve User Debug Experience when doing Email Test – display helpful description and steps to fix the issue.
- Added: New users: provide default SMTP Port value for new users based on Encryption selection.
- Added: New users: notify about not configured plugin settings.
- Added: New users: Recommend free WPForms Lite plugin for those who don’t have it.
- Added: SendGrid/Mailgun: provide support for multipart/alternative types of emails.
- Added: Gmail: new button to remove connection and to connect a new Google account.
- Fixed: Support plugin installation into /mu-plugins/ directory.
- Fixed: SendGrid: required text/plain part of email being the first one – fixes plain text emails not having links.
- Fixed: SendGrid and Mailgun: improperly sending plain text emails in html format.
- Fixed: SMTP Debug output was empty in some cases.
- Fixed: Compatibility with lots of other plugins that use Google Analytics library of different versions.
- Fixed: “client_id is empty” is no more a problem, should be fixed.
- Changed: For SendGrid and Mailgun allow using custom defined attachments names if present. Fallback to file name.
- Changed: Gmail: switch to a wider scope to prevent possible issues in certain circumstances.
- Changed: Remove whitespaces start/end of keys, secrets etc.
- Changed: Improved helpful description tests of various options.
- Changed: Improved plugin autoloading functionality.
1.2.5 – 2017-02-05
Return pathcan’t be turned off.
Authenticationsometimes can’t be turned off.
Auto TLSsometimes can’t be turned off.
- Fixed: BCC support for Gmail was broken.
- Fixed: Debug output improved to handle SELinux and grsecurity.
- Fixed: Strip slashes from plugin settings (useful for
- Fixed: Change the way sanitization is done to prevent accidental removal of useful data.
- Fixed: Plugin activation will not overwrite settings back to defaults.
- Fixed: Properly set
Auto TLSoption on plugin activation.
- Fixed: Providers autoloading improved for certain Windows-based installs.
- Fixed: Use the proper path to load translations from plugin’s
- Changed: Do not autoload on each page request plugin settings from WordPress options table.
- Changed: Do not autoload Pepipost classes unless it’s saved as active mailer in settings.
1.2.4 – 2017-01-28
- Fixed: Improved escaping in debug reporting.
1.2.3 – 2017-01-22
- Fixed: Gmail tokens were reset after clicking Save Settings.
- Fixed: Slight typo in Gmail success message.
1.2.2 – 2017-12-27
- Fixed: Correctly handle Mailgun debug message for an incorrect api key.
- Fixed: Fatal error for Gmail and SMTP mailers with Nginx web-server (without Apache at all).
- Changed: Update X-Mailer emails header to show the real sender with a mailer and plugin version.
1.2.1 – 2017-12-21
- Fixed: Failed SMTP connections generate fatal errors.
1.2.0 – 2017-12-21
- Fixed: Decrease the factual minimum WordPress version from 3.9 to 3.6.
- Changed: Improve debug output for all mail providers.
1.1.0 – 2017-12-18
- Added: New option “Auto TLS” for SMTP mailer. Default is enabled. Migration routine for all sites.
- Changed: Improve debug output – clear styles and context-aware content.
- Changed: Better exceptions handling for Google authentication process.
- Changed: Do not sanitize passwords, api keys etc – as they may contain special characters in certain order and sanitization will break those values.
- Changed: Improve wording of some helpful texts inside plugin admin area.
- Fixed: Do not include certain files in dependency libraries that are not used by Google mailer. This should stop flagging plugin by Wordfence and VaultPress.
- Fixed: Constants usage is working now, to define the SMTP password, for example.
- Fixed: Notice for default mailer.
1.0.2 – 2017-12-12
- Fixed: PHPMailer using incorrect SMTPSecure value.
1.0.1 – 2017-12-12
- Fixed: Global POST processing conflict.
1.0.0 – 2017-12-12
- Added: Automatic migration tool to move options from older storage format to a new one.
- Added: Added Gmail & G Suite email provider integration – without your email and password.
- Added: Added SendGrid email provider integration – using the API key only.
- Added: Added Mailgun email provider integration – using the API key and configured domain only.
- Added: New compatibility mode – for PHP 5.2 old plugin will be loaded, for PHP 5.3 and higher – new version of admin area and new functionality.
- Changed: The new look of the admin area.
- Changed: SMTP password field now has “password” type.
- Changed: SMTP password field does not display real password at all when using constants in
wp-config.phpto define it.
- Changed: Escape properly all translations.
- Changed: More helpful test email content (with a mailer name).
0.11.2 – 2017-11-28
- Added: Setting to hide announcement feed.
- Changed: Announcement feed data.
0.11.1 – 2017-10-30
- Fixed: Older PHP compatibility fix.
0.11 – 2017-10-30
- Added: Helper description to Return Path option.
- Added: Filter
wp_mail_smtp_admin_test_email_smtp_debugto increase the debug message verbosity.
- Added: PHP 5.2 notice.
- Added: Announcement feed.
- Changed: Localization fixes, proper locale name.
- Changed: Code style improvements and optimizations for both HTML and PHP.
- Changed: Inputs for emails now have a proper type
- Changed: Turn off
No encryptionoption is set to prevent error while sending emails.
- Changed: Hide Pepipost for those who are not using it.
- Changed: WP CLI support improved.
- Addition of Pepipost and cleanup of admin page.
- Addition of Pepipost and cleanup of admin page.
- Minor security fix, sanitize test email address.
- Minor security fix, hat tip JD Grimes.
- Improvement to the test email function, very low priority update.
- Fixing reported issue with passing by reference. props Adam Conway
- Removing the deprecation notice.
- $phpmailer->language became protected in WP 3.2, no longer unset on debug output.
- Typo in the From email description.
- Removed changelog from plugin file, no need to duplicate it.
- Optionally set $phpmailer->Sender from from email, helps with sendmail / mail().
- Fix for a long standing bug that caused an error during plugin activation.
- The Settings link really does work this time, promise. Apologies for the unnecessary updates.
- Bugfix, the settings link on the Plugin page was broken by 0.8.4.
- Minor bugfix, remove use of esc_html() to improve backwards compatibility.
- Removed second options page menu props ovidiu.
- Bugfix, return WPMS_MAIL_FROM_NAME, props nacin.
- Add Settings link, props Mike Challis https://profiles.wordpress.org/MikeChallis/
- Bugfix, call phpmailer_init_smtp() correctly, props Sinklar.
- Internationalisation improvements.
- Added port, SSL/TLS, option whitelisting, validate_email(), and constant options.
- Added checks to only override the default from name / email
- Added additional SMTP debugging output
- Fixed a pre 2.3 bug to do with mail from
- Added a check to display a warning on versions prior to 2.3
- Upgraded to match 2.3 filters which add a second filter for from name
- Fixed a bug in 0.4.1 and added more debugging output
- Added $phpmailer->ErroInfo to the test mail output
- Added the test email feature and cleaned up some other bits and pieces
- Changed to use register_activation_hook for greater compatability
- Added readme for WP-Plugins.org compatability
- Various bugfixes and added From options
- Reworked approach as suggested by westi, added options page
- Initial approach, copying the wp_mail function and replacing it