Wavatars will generate and assign icons to the visitors leaving comments at your site. It can optionally show Gravatars as well.
|Author:||Shamus Young (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||2.0.2|
|WordPress version tested:||2.3.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||17-12-2007|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||9 224|
Click to start download
Wavatars is a plugin that will generate and assign icons to the visitors leaving comments at your site. The icons are based on email, so a given visitor will get the same icon each time they comment. It livens up comment threads and gives people memorable "faces" to aid in following conversations. It's also fun.Features:
- Wavatars can generate 956,384 different shapes in 57,600 different color combinations for a total of 55,087,718,400 (55 billion) unique Wavatars. Yeah, you should have plenty. You'll run out of human beings (or hard drive space) long before you run out of Wavatars.
- The icons are generated on-the-fly. You can adjust the desired size of the icons.
- For easy deployment, icons will automatically precede the commenter's name. You can set HTML to come directly before and after the icon (to put it inside of a <DIV> tag, for example) or you can control the placement of the icons manually if you don't mind adding a single line of PHP to your theme.
- Wavatars are based entirely on email and are thus very portable. The same email will result in the same Wavatar, even on different sites, so users will have the same icon on all Wavatar-enabled sites. (Assuming, or course, that there are other Wavatar-enabled sites. I don't know if anyone will want this plugin or not.)
- This plugin also supports Gravatars. If you like, it can show the Gravatar for a given user (if available) and fall back on their Wavatar only if they don't have a Gravatar set up. This means users can choose to set up a unique icon for themselves, and if they don't, they will be assigned a unique Wavatar. This is a great system that lets people personalize if they want, yet still provide a decent icon for the lazy or apathetic.