User Role Editor WordPress plugin makes the role capabilities changing easy. You can change any standard WordPress user role (except administrator).
|Author:||Vladimir Garagulya (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.0|
|WordPress version tested:||5.8.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||22-03-2010|
|Total downloads:||13 930 308|
|Active installs:||700 000+|
Click to start download
User Role Editor WordPress plugin allows you to change user roles and capabilities easy.
Just turn on check boxes of capabilities you wish to add to the selected role and click “Update” button to save your changes. That’s done.
Add new roles and customize its capabilities according to your needs, from scratch of as a copy of other existing role.
Unnecessary self-made role can be deleted if there are no users whom such role is assigned.
Role assigned every new created user by default may be changed too.
Capabilities could be assigned on per user basis. Multiple roles could be assigned to user simultaneously.
You can add new capabilities and remove unnecessary capabilities which could be left from uninstalled plugins.
Multi-site support is provided.
- Block selected admin menu items for role.
- Hide selected front-end menu items for no logged-in visitors, logged-in users, roles.
- Block selected widgets under “Appearance” menu for role.
- Show widgets at front-end for selected roles.
- Block selected meta boxes (dashboard, posts, pages, custom post types) for role.
- “Export/Import” module. You can export user role to the local file and import it to any WordPress site or other sites of the multi-site WordPress network.
- Roles and Users permissions management via Network Admin for multisite configuration. One click Synchronization to the whole network.
- “Other roles access” module allows to define which other roles user with current role may see at WordPress: dropdown menus, e.g assign role to user editing user profile, etc.
- Manage user access to editing posts/pages/custom post type using posts/pages, authors, taxonomies ID list.
- Per plugin users access management for plugins activate/deactivate operations.
- Per form users access management for Gravity Forms plugin.
- Shortcode to show enclosed content to the users with selected roles only.
- Posts and pages view restrictions for selected roles.
- Admin back-end pages permissions viewer
Pro version is advertisement free. Premium support is included.
You can find more information about “User Role Editor” plugin at this page
I am ready to answer on your questions about plugin usage. Use plugin page comments for that.
screenshot-1.png User Role Editor main form
screenshot-2.png Add/Remove roles or capabilities
screenshot-3.png User Capabilities link
screenshot-4.png User Capabilities Editor
screenshot-5.png Bulk change role for users without roles
screenshot-6.png Assign multiple roles to the selected users
- Does it work with WordPress in multi-site environment?
Yes, it works with WordPress multi-site. By default plugin works for every blog from your multi-site network as for locally installed blog.
To update selected role globally for the Network you should turn on the “Apply to All Sites” checkbox. You should have superadmin privileges to use User Role Editor under WordPress multi-site.
Pro version allows to manage roles of the whole network from the Netwok Admin.
- Update: Marked as compatible with WordPress 5.8.1
- Fix: Multisite: URE_Editor::is_full_network_sync() returned FALSE, instead TRUE for the AJAX call, while call was made from the Network Admin (wp-admin/network/).
- Update: Marked as compatible with WordPress 5.8.
- Fix: PHP Notice: Undefined property: URE_User_View::$multisite in /wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor/includes/classes/user-view.php on line 145
- New: Notification box was replaced with one based on the jpillora/nofifyjs jQuery plugin. It does not move down page content. It disappears automatically after 5 seconds. Click on it to remove it manually.
- Fix: “Add capability” shows warning styled notification when needed (invalid characters, etc.) instead of a successful one.
- Fix: Capabilities group uncheck and revert selection is blocked for the administrator role to exclude accident deletion of permissions from it.
File changelog.txt contains the full list of changes.