User Role Editor WordPress plugin makes the role capabilities changing easy. You can change any standard WordPress user role (except administrator).
|Author:||Vladimir Garagulya (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.0|
|WordPress version tested:||5.2|
|Added to WordPress repository:||22-03-2010|
|Total downloads:||8 155 628|
|Active installs:||500 000+|
Click to start download
screenshot-1.png User Role Editor main form
screenshot-2.png Add/Remove roles or capabilities
screenshot-3.png User Capabilities link
screenshot-4.png User Capabilities Editor
screenshot-5.png Bulk change role for users without roles
screenshot-6.png Assign multiple roles to the selected users
- Does it work with WordPress in multi-site environment?
Yes, it works with WordPress multi-site. By default plugin works for every blog from your multi-site network as for locally installed blog.
To update selected role globally for the Network you should turn on the “Apply to All Sites” checkbox. You should have superadmin privileges to use User Role Editor under WordPress multi-site.
Pro version allows to manage roles of the whole network from the Netwok Admin.
- New: Bulk actions were added to the Users page: “Add Role”, “Revoke Role”. Select role from the related drop-down menu and add/revoke it to/from the list of pre-selected users.
- Update: Bulk grant roles feature (“Grant roles” button at the “Users” page) and Bulk grant role to users without role (“Without role” button at the “Users” page) are protected by ‘promote_users’ capability instead of ‘edit_users’, exactly the same way as WordPress itself does for its “Change role to”.
- Update: ‘load-users.php’ action is used instead of ‘admin_init’ to load support code for “Without role” and “Grant roles” button at the “Users” page.
- Update: URE ignores now a capability without ID in case it was added to the database somehow (other plugin bug, etc.). Such incorrect empty capability is removed from the capabilities list as a result after any role update.
- Fix: WordPress multisite: PHP Notice “wpmu_new_blog is deprecated since version 5.1.0! Use wp_insert_site instead.” was removed. URE uses ‘wp_initialize_site’ action now instead of deprecated ‘wpmu_new_blog’. This fix provides correct roles replication from the main blog/site to a new created blog/site.
- Fix: WP Multisite: Users->Capabilities->Update: “Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method URE_Editor::check_blog_user() in /wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor/includes/classes/editor.php on line 576” was fixed.
- Fix: WooCommerce group was not shown under “Custom capabilities” section.
- PHP version 5.5 was marked as required.
- Update: General code restructure and optimization.
- Update: URE_Base_Lib::get_blog_ids() returns null, if it’s called under WordPress single site (not multisite).
- Update: URE_Editor::prepare_capabilities_to_save() : “Invalid argument supplied for foreach()” warning was excluded in case there was no valid data structures initialization.
- Update: ‘administrator’ role protection was enhanced. URE always does not allow to revoke capability from ‘administrator’ role. That was possible earlier after the ‘administrator’ role update.
- Update: 2 new actions ‘ure_settings_tools_show’ and ‘ure_settings_tools_exec’ allows to extends the list of sections available at the Settings->User Role Editor->Tools tab.
File changelog.txt contains the full list of changes.