Super-easy to use and 100% FREE social media plugin which adds social media icons to your website with tons of customization features!
|Author:||social share pro (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.7|
|Added to WordPress repository:||09-04-2015|
|Total downloads:||1 135 997|
|Active installs:||60 000+|
Click to start download
After installing the plugin, you'll see this overview. You'll be taken through the easy-to-understand steps to configure your plugin
As a first step you select which icons you want to display on your website
Then you'll define what the icons should do (they can perform several actions, e.g. lead users to your facebook page, or allow them to share your content on their facebook page)
In a third step you decide where the icons should be placed: a.) via Widget , b.) Floating, c.) via Shortcode and/or d.) Before or after posts
You can pick from a wide range of social share icon designs
Here you can animate your main icons (automatic shuffling, mouse-over effects etc.), to make visitors of your site aware that they can share, follow & like your site
You can choose to display counts next to your icons (e.g. number of Twitter-followers)
There are many more options to choose from
You can also display a pop-up (designed to your liking) which asks users to like & share your site
Extract the zip file and drop the contents into the wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation. Then activate the plugin from the plugins page.
Then go to plugin settings page and answer the first 3 questions. That’s it.
Note: This plugin requires CURL to be activated/installed on your server (which should be the standard case). If you don’t have it, please contact your hosting provider.
Please also check the more comprehensive FAQ on http://ultimatelysocial.com/faq
We will try to keep this FAQ section up-to-date, but please note that the latest version of the FAQ might be only available at http://ultimatelysocial.com/faq
I face fundamental issues (the plugin doesn’t load, social share buttons don’t show etc.)
Please ensure that:
- You’re using the latest version of the plugin(s)
- Your site is running on PHP 5.4 or above
- You have CURL activated (should be activated by default)
If you’re not familiar with those please contact your hosting company or server admin.
Please check if you have browser extensions activated which may conflict with the social share buttons. Known culprits include:
- Open SEO Stats (Formerly: PageRank Status) in Chrome
- Adblock Plus in Chrome
- Vine in Chrome
Either de-activate those extensions or try it in a different browser.
If the plugin setting’s area looks ‘funny’ after an upgrade then please clear your cache with String+F5 (PC) or Command+R (Mac).
If you get the error message “Are you sure you want to do this? / Please try again” when uploading the plugin: Some servers may have a low limits with respect to permitted upload times. Please set the values in the “php.ini” file to:
If you don’t know how to do it, please contact your server support / hosting company for that. Tell them you need it for a sharing plugin on WordPress which may take longer to upload as many socialsharing buttons are included in it (larger file size).
If your issue is still not fixed after you’ve followed the steps above, we can provide support as part of our new share to social Premium Plugin: https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/.
I get error messages ‘Error : 7’, ‘Error : 56’, ‘Error : 6’ etc.
Those point to a CURL-issue on your site. Please contact your server admin or your hosting company to resolve it.
The plugin requires CURL for the social share counts and other features.
Social share buttons don’t show in the widget
Please ensure you actually placed the social share buttons either as social widget (in your widget area) or as floating icons under question 5). The Premium Plugin makes placing sharing buttons especially easy and also allows you to place sticky buttons on your site, define the placement of the share buttons by margins and many other options, see https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/.
If only some social share buttons show in the widget, but not all, then please clear your cache, and check if you may have conflicting browser extensions (e.g. ‘Disconnect’-app in Chrome). Also Ad-Blockers are known culprits, please switch them off temporarily to see if that is the reason.
If the social share buttons still don’t show in the widget then there’s an issue with your template. Please contact the creator of your template for that.
If you are referring to specific social share buttons not showing in the plugin itself (e.g. you’re looking for a Whatsapp icon, but it doesnt exist) please note that our Premium Plugin has many more social media share buttons, see https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/
Twitter share counters are not displaying (anymore)
Unfortunately, Twitter stopped providing any social share counter. God knows why.
Changes don’t get saved / Deleted plugin but sharing buttons still show
Most likely you have the WP Cache plugin installed. Please de-activate and then re-activate it.
Links don’t work
Please ensure you’ve entered the ‘http://’ at the beginning of the url (for all social networks). If the share buttons are not clickable at all there is most likely an issue with your template. This is especially the case if you’ve given your social share buttons several features, which should show a pop-up (tooltip) when you move over the share buttons.
I cannot upload social custom buttons
Most likely that’s because you’ve set ‘allow_url_fopen’ to ‘off’. Please turn it to ‘on’ (or ask your server admin to do so, he’ll know what to do. Tell them you need it to upload custom buttons for a social media buttons plugin which are not included yet).
My Youtube button (direct follow) doesn’t work
Please ensure that you’ve selected the radio button ‘Username’ when you enter a youtube username, or ‘Channel ID’ when you entered a channel ID.
Aligning the social share buttons (centered, left- or right-aligned) doesn’t work
The alignment options under question 5 align the sharing icons with respect to each other, not where they appear on the page. Our new Premium Plugin is the best social sharing plugin on the market, allowing you to define also many other button alignments (e.g. within a widget , within shortcode etc.).
Clicking on the RSS button returns funny codes
That’s normal. RSS users will know what to do with it (i.e. copy & paste the url into their RSS readers).
Facebook ‘like’-count isn’t correct
When you ‘like’ something on your blog via facebook it likes the site you’re currently on (e.g. your blog) and not your Facebook page.
The new Premium Plugin also allows to show the number of your Facebook page likes, see https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/.
Sharing doesn’t take the right text or picture
We use the codes from Facebook, Google+ etc. and therefore don’t have any influence over which text & pic is used for sharing.
Note that you can define an image as ‘Featured Image’ which tells Facebok / Google etc. to share that one. You’ll find this ‘Featured Image’ section in your blog’s admin area where you can edit your blog post.
You can crosscheck which image Facebook will share by entring your url on https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/.
The pop-up shows although I only gave my social share button one share function
The pop-up only disappears if you’ve given your sharing buttons only a ‘visit us’-function, otherwise (e.g. if you gave it ‘Like’ (on facebook) or ‘Tweet’ functions or sharing functions) a pop-up is still needed because the share buttons for those are coming directly from the social media sites (e.g. Facebook, Twitter) and we don’t have any influence over their design.
I selected to display the social sharing buttons after every post but they don’t show
The social sharing buttons usually do show, however not on your blog page, but on your single posts pages. The Premium plugin (https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/) also allows to display the share buttons on your homepage.
Plugin decreases my site’s loading speed
The plugin is one of the most optimized social media plugin in terms of impact on a site’s loading speed (optimized code, compressed pictures etc.).
If you still experience loading speed issues, please note that:
The more social sharing bottons and invite features you place on your site, the more external codes you load (i.e. from the social media sites; we just use their code), therefore impacting loading speed. So to prevent this, give your sharing buttons only ‘Visit us’-functionality rather than sharing functionalities.
We’ve programed it so that the code for the social media buttons is the one which loads lasts on your site, i.e. after all the other content has already been loaded. This means: even if there is a decrease in loading speed, it does not impact a user’s experience because he sees your site as quickly as before, only the social media buttons take a bit longer to load.
There might be also other issues on your site which cause a high loading speed (e.g. conflicts with our plugins or template issues). Please ask your template creator about that.
Also, if you’ve uploaded social media sharing buttons not provided by the plugin itself (i.e. custom buttons) please ensure they are compressd as well.
After moving from demo-server to live-server the follow or subscribe link doesn’t work anymore
Please delete and install the plugin again.
If you already placed the code for a subscription form on your site, remove it again and take the new one from the new plugin installation.
When I try to like or share via Facebook, I get error message ‘App Not Setup: This app is still…’
If you get the error message…
‘App Not Setup: This app is still in development mode, and you don’t have access to it. Switch to a registered test user or ask an app admin for permissions.’
…then most likely you’re curently logged in with a business account on Facebook. Please logout, or switch to your personal account.
There are other issues when I activate the plugin or place the share buttons
Please check the following:
The plugin requires that CURL is instaled & activated on your server (which should be the standard case). If you don’t have it, please contact your hosting provider.
Please ensure that you don’t have any browser extension activated which may conflict with the plugin, esp. those which block certain content including the share buttons. Known culprits include the ‘Disconnect’ extension in Chrome or the ‘Privacy Badger’ extension in Firefox.
If issues persist most likely your theme has issues which makes it incompatible with our plugin. Please contact your template creator for that. As part of the Premium Plugin (https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/) we fix also theme issues, and provide support to ensure that your social media share buttons appear on your site (exactly where you want them).
How can I see how many people share or like my posts?
You can see this by activating the sharnig ‘counts’ on the front end (under question 5 in the plugin). This will display the counters in little bubbles showing how often people share your posts.
We cannot provide you this data in other ways as it’s coming directly from the social media sites. One exception: if you like to know when people start to follow you by email, then you can get email alerts. For that, please claim your feed.
How can I change the ‘Please follow & like us :)’?
You can change it in the Widget area where you dropped the widget with the sharing buttons on the sidebar. Please click on it (on the sidebar), it will open the menu where you can change the text.
If you don’t want to show any text, just enter a space (‘ ‘).
How can I remove the credit-link (‘Powered by Ultimatelysocial’)?
Please note that we didn’t place the credit link without your consent (you agreed to it when de-selecting the email button).
Open the first question in the plugin (‘1. Which sharing buttons do you want to show on your site?’), on the level of the email button you see a link on the right hand side. Please click it to remove the credit link.
Can I use a shortcode to place the share buttons?
Yes, it’s [DISPLAY_ULTIMATE_SOCIAL_ICONS]. You can place it into any editor. If the sharing buttons still don’t show, there might be an issue with your theme.
Alternatively, you can place the followin into your codes:
In some cases there might be issues to display social media sharing buttons which you uploaded as custom buttons. In this case, we provide support as part of our premium plugin: https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/
Can I get more options for the social share buttons next to posts?
Please use this plugin for that: https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/. This allows you to place more share buttons (e.g. including Linkedin) as well as giving you more configuration options.
Can I also give the email button a ‘mailto:’ functionality?
Yes, that is possible in our new social share plugin, the Premium Plugin: https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/
To get the email button in the same design style you picked, activate it, then on the front-end, rightclick on the button, and save it as picture. Upload that picture as custom button.
Can I also display the share buttons vertically?
Yes, that is possible in our new social sharing plugin, the Premium Plugn: https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/.
How can I change the text on the ‘visit us’-buttons?
Use this plugin: https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/
Can I deactivate the social sharing buttons on mobile?
Yes, there’s an option for that under question 5. In our new Premium Plugin you can define different settings of the share buttons for mobile, see https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/. The best way to share social media! 🙂
How can I use two instances of the plugin on my site?
You cannot use the same plugin twice, however you can install both the first USM plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-social-media-icons/) as well as the Premiuem plugin (https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/). We’ve developed the code so that there are no conflicts and they can be used in parallel.
Where can I find icons for more social media platforms?
The premium plugin offrs many more social buttons from other social media platforms such as Snapchat, Whattsapp, Yelp, Sound cloud and many others. It’s the best socialsharing plugin on the market 🙂 Check it out at https://www.ultimatelysocial.com/usm-premium/
- Optimized texts
- Saving different languages for the social icons sometimes didn’t work – fixed now
- Optimized code for setting value for “adding_plustags” which caused issues on some sites
- Various instructions optimized
- Cookies don’t get set anymore if selected to show pop-up when user scrolls to end of page (relevant for GDPR compliance)
- Like count issue fixed
- Youtube subscribe issue fixed
- Instagram followers count issue fixed
- Twitter count issue fixed
- Facebook share count issue fixed
- Non-numeric value errors fixed
- Removed error log files
- Follow icon sometimes showed too large – fixed
- Linkedin-counter after posts corrected
- Text changes
- New question for referring added
- Saving links for custom icons sometimes didn’t work. Fixed now.
- Links updated
- Themed icons notification optimized
- Important bug fixed (which caused fatal error on sites with PHP version below 5.5. and sensitive error reporting on server)
- Banners modified
- Spelling mistakes corrected
- Added more themed icons banners
- There were conflicts when both free USM plugins were installed at the same time, those are now resolved
- Notification for possibility to define sharing text and pic added
- Link to full list of premium icons added
- Info added that url shortener is available in premium plugin
- Non numeric value warning fixed
- Templates with no head issue fixed
- Incorrect error messages removed
- Better formatting of socialshare review bar
- Updated so that also widget data gets removed when you de-install the plugin, so now everything is completely removed
- New CURL error messages to point better to the specific issue
- Error message if user is using outdated PHP version
- “Mandatory” removed from email and rss icons
- Freemius Error (uninstall hook error) fixed
- Icons not underlined anymore (was a conflict with certain themes such as twentyseventeen)
- Js removed after de-activating the icons
- Freemius image added
- After activation of plugin you’re directly taken to the plugin’s settings page
- Fremius analytics implemented
- More strings made translation-ready
- Better claiming of feed enabled
- Issue with Instagram button counters fixed
- Issue fixed that sometimes incorrect error-messages showed on front-end
- Credit link updated
- More icons added for pro-version
- SpecificFeeds adjusted for paid option
- De-installation will now clear database entirely
- Upgrade to pro-link renamed
- New option for tailor-made icons
- Activation/de-activation links optimized
- Notifications activated
- Notifications revised
- Notification added
- Instructions for troubleshooting optimized
- Facebook icon leading to empty pages (in specific cases) fixed
- Twitter sharing text issues with forwarded slashes fixed
- Links to review sites adjusted following WordPress changes in review section
- Missing counts for email follow option fixed (when there are no subscribers yet)
- Extra explanation text added
- Corner case vulnerability fixed
- Claiming box made nicer
- Updated PIN-it button to SAVE
- Claiming process simplified
- jQuery issue fixed
- Counts for SpecificFeeds-subscribers are back, getting updated once a day
- Some mouse-over issues for custom icons, fixed now
- Cute G+ icon didn’t look good on dark backgrounds, fixed now
- Counts for SpecificFeeds-subscribers disabled due to high server load. We’ll try to bring them back in a future plugin version.
- Size of custom icons corrected
- Cute G+ icon too small before, corrected now
- Better description how to get G+ API key added
- Unsupported “live” function in jquery fixed
- Language issues fixed
- Counter didn’t disappear before/after posts if round icons were selected – fixed now
- Language folder added
- Persian added as first language
- For round icons before/after posts, the counts now correctly show the counts of the post page, not necessarily the page they are on
- Translation errors fixed
- Translation errors fixed
- Icons sometimes on top of each other – fixed
- New icon function: If user has given the icon a visit-us functionality, then it already works now when clicking on the icon (i.e. no selection in tooltip required)
- Errors appearing on front end fixed
- Plugin updated for translations
- E-NOTICE error fixed
- Removed the js files from plugin and using the ones provided by WP now
- POST calls optimized (sanitize, escape, validate)
- Removed feedback option
- Tags changed
- Feedback mechanism disabled
- Tags reduced
- Added Facebook share button after/before posts
- G+ design issues on black background fixed
- Crashes/content disappearing fixed
- Overkill declaration in the CSS fixed
- Custom icons can now have mailto:-functionality
- jQuery UI issues fixed
- Rectangle G+ icon now shown as last one as it takes more space (looks better)
- jQuery issues/conflicts fixed
- Script issues fixed
- Count issues for icons on homepage fixed
- Text added on plugin setting’s page for easier understanding
- Issue that dashboard sometimes doesn’t load fixed
- Instagram thin-icon issue fixed (misspelled, therefore didn’t show)
- Custom icon uploads optimized
- Facebook changed their API – please upgrade if you want Facebook sharing on mobile to work properly on your site!
- Custom icon uploads optimized
- Houzz error message fixed
- Plugin made ready for translations
- Feed claiming optimized
- Shortpixel link updated
- Feed claiming bug fixed
- Houzz-button integrated
- New G+ button updated
- Quicker claiming of feed possible
- Comments to share-button added
- Credit to shortpixel added
- New feature: Users can now decide where exactly the floating icons will display
- Internal links corrected
- Fixed: Targets only labels within the social icons div.
- Subscriber counts fixed
- Apostrophe issues fixed
- Conflicts with Yoast SEO plugin resolved
- PHP errors fixed
- Plugin also allows a subscription form now (question 8)!
- Count issues fixed – please upgrade!
- Style constructor updated to PHP 5
- Text adjustments in admin area
- More explanations added how to fix if counts don’t work
- Icon files are compressed now for faster loading – thank you ShortPixel.com!
- A typo in the code threw an error message in certain cases, this is fixed now
- jQuery issues fixed
- Vulnerability issues fixed
- Twitter-button didn’t get displayed in full sometimes, this is fixed now
- CSS issues (occurred on some templates) fixed
- Facebook updated API (so counts didn’t get displayed correctly anymore), we updated the plugin accordingly
- Sometimes error messages appeared on the front end, this is fixed now
- New follow-icons added
- More “rectangle” icons added before/after posts
- Widget was rendered incorrectly on some templates, fixed now
- Icons didn’t always line up (on some themes), fixed now
- Youtube API got changed, which made the counts not displayed correctly, this is now adjusted in the plugin
- Slight layout adjustments in plugin’s admin area
- Links with “@” in the url (e.g. as in Flickr-links) now get recognized as well
- Alignment issues of icons in tooltip fixed
- Layout optimizations in plugin area
- Users can now select to have the number of likes of their facebook page displayed as counts of the facebook icon on their blogs
- Typos in admin area corrected
- Users can now disable auto-scaling feature for mobile devices (“viewport” meta tag)
- Vulnerabilities (AJAX) fixed
- OG-issues (caused in conjunction with other plugins) fixed
- Og-issues fixed
- Conflicts with Yoast SEO plugin sorted
- Alignments under posts didn’t work sometimes before, fixed now
- When user selected icons to shuffle pop-up didn’t show up, fixed now
- Short code corrected
- On some templates the checkboxes in the admin area couldn’t get selected, fixed now
- Links now to the correct review screen
- Share-box only displayed partly sometimes, fixed now
- When sharing from a Facebook business page it returned errors, this should be fixed now (to be observed)
- Sometimes facebook share count didn’t increase despite liking it, this should be fixed now (to be observed)
- Template CSS conflicts solved in the plugin
- Facebook sharing text issues fixed
- First release