Adds shortcode functionality to The Events Calendar Plugin (Free Version) by Modern Tribe.
|Author:||Event Calendar Newsletter (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.1|
|WordPress version tested:||5.4.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||10-10-2014|
|Total downloads:||389 676|
|Active installs:||20 000+|
Click to start download
Get your events displayed in a customizable list wherever you need them, with The Events Calendar Shortcode and Block! This plugin fully integrates with The Events Calendar Plugin (free version) by Modern Tribe.
This plugin adds a shortcode and a WordPress block for use with The Events Calendar WordPress Plugin (by Modern Tribe).
Display a list of your events by either adding a block in the new editor, or adding a shortcode to any post, page, or widget.
Here’s a quick video showing you what you can do:
If you need extra design and functionality, Get The Events Calendar Shortcode Pro! The Pro version offers seven designs, additional filtering options, and full control over how your events display.
You get the same full integration with The Events Calendar, plus premium support, show multiple shortcodes on one page, and it works with any WordPress theme.
Trusted by 20,000+ WordPress sites and a 4.5 star rating on WordPress.org, The Events Calendar Shortcode and Block is the solution you’ve been after
Show your events from The Events Calendar (by Modern Tribe) in a list, and customize specifically which events you’re displaying
Add a block in the page or post where you want your events to appear, and select the display options you want (new WordPress 5.0 editor or Gutenberg plugin)
You can also add the shortcode where you want the list of events to appear on any WordPress post, page, or widget
Many settings you can use in the shortcode to change what details appear in the events listing
What are the shortcode and block options for customizing my events?
Here’s the full list of shortcode and block options you can use to customize how your events display:
- Basic shortcode:
- cat – Show events from an event category
[ecs-list-events cat='festival']or specify multiple categories
[ecs-list-events cat='festival, workshops']
- limit – Total number of events to show. Default is 5.
- order – Order of the events to be shown. Value can be ‘ASC’ or ‘DESC’. Default is ‘ASC’. Order is based on event date.
- date – To show or hide date. Value can be ‘true’ or ‘false’. Default is true.
- venue – To show or hide the venue. Value can be ‘true’ or ‘false’. Default is false.
- excerpt – To show or hide the excerpt and set excerpt length. Default is false.
[ecs-list-events excerpt='true']//displays excerpt with length 100
excerpt=’300′ //displays excerpt with length 300
- thumb – To show or hide thumbnail image. Default is false.
[ecs-list-events thumb='true']//displays post thumbnail in default thumbnail dimension from media settings.
- thumbsize – Specify the size of the thumbnail.
[ecs-list-events thumb='true' thumbsize='large']
- thumbwidth / thumbheight – Customize the thumbnail size in pixels
[ecs-list-events thumb='true' thumbwidth='150' thumbheight='150']
- message – Message to show when there are no events. Defaults to ‘There are no upcoming events at this time.’
- viewall – Determines whether to show ‘View all events’ or not. Values can be ‘true’ or ‘false’. Default to ‘true’
[ecs-list-events cat='festival' limit='3' order='DESC' viewall='false']
- contentorder – Manage the order of content with commas. Default to
title, thumbnail, excerpt, date, venue.
[ecs-list-events cat='festival' limit='3' order='DESC' viewall='false' contentorder='title, thumbnail, excerpt, date, venue']
- month – Show only specific month (in YYYY-MM format). Type
'current'for displaying current month only or
'next'for next month.
[ecs-list-events cat='festival' month='2015-06']
- past – Show Outdated Events.
[ecs-list-events cat='festival' past='yes']
- key – Hide events when the start date has passed
[ecs-list-events cat='festival' key='start date']
- orderby – Change the ordering to the end date
With The Events Calendar Shortcode PRO you also get the following options:
- design – Shows improved design by default. Set to ‘standard’ for the regular one, ‘compact’ for a more compact listing, ‘calendar’ for a monthly calendar view, ‘columns’ to show a horizontal/columns/photo view, or ‘grouped’ to group events by day
- days – Specify how many days in the future, for example
[ecs-list-events days="1"]for one day or
[ecs-list-events days="7"]for one week
- tag – Filter by one or more tags. Use commas when you want to filter by multiple tags.
- id – Show a single event, useful for displaying details of the event on a blog post or page
- location (city, state/province, country) – Display events by location. Use commas when you want to include events from multiple (ie. country=’United States, Canada’)
- description – Use the full description instead of the excerpt of an event in the listing
- raw_description – Avoid filtering any HTML (spacing, links, bullet points, etc) in the description
- raw_excerpt – Avoid filtering any HTML (spacing, links, etc) in the excerpt
- featured only – Show only events marked as “featured”
- date – Show only events for a specific day
- year – Show only events for a specific year
- date range – Show only events between certain days
[ecs-list-events fromdate='2017-05-31' todate='2017-06-15']
- timeonly – To show just the start time of the event.
- offset – Skip a certain number of events from the beginning, useful for using multiple shortcodes on the same page (with ads in between) or splitting into columns
- custom design – Create one or more of your own templates for use with the shortcode
- filter bar – Allow the user to filter the events shown in the full calendar design (ie. by category, state/province, country, venue, etc)
- hiderecurring – To only show the first instance of a recurring event, set to ‘true’
Can I use this plugin to list my events using the new WordPress 5.0 editor (Gutenberg)?
Yes! There is now a block to list your events anywhere in a page or post, just click “+” in the top-left and search for The Events Calendar Block (under Common).
How do I use this shortcode in a widget?
You can put the shortcode in a text widget (as of WordPress 4.7). If a regular text widget doesn’t work, put the shortcode in a Visual Editor Widget.
What are the classes for styling the list of events?
By default the plugin does not include styling. Events are listed in ul li tags with appropriate classes for styling with a bit of CSS.
- ul class=”ecs-event-list”
- li class=”ecs-event” and “ecs-featured-event” (if featured)
- event title link is H4 class=”entry-title summary”
- date class is time
- venue class is venue
- span .ecs-all-events
- p .ecs-excerpt
Want a better looking design without knowing any CSS? Check out The Events Calendar Shortcode & Block PRO
How do I include a list of events in a page template?
Put this in the template where you want the events list to display.
How do I include a monthly calendar view instead of a list?
The pro version of the plugin has the option to put
design="calendar" in the shortcode (or pick Calendar as the design with the block) to show a calendar view of the events you want.
- Updating block script dependencies
- Adds link to full documentation and short walk-through video
- Developers: Adds additional param to the ecs_start_tag filter with the number of events
- Fix for using order=’DESC’ to order events in descending order by event date, with the latest version of The Events Calendar (by Modern Tribe)
- Adds block description
- Compatibility fixes with Divi
- Disables the new WP editor block if Cornerstone page builder is active due to incompatibilities
- Additional check if wp_set_script_translations exists (not with the Gutenberg plugin)
- Tweaks to handling of default values in the block
- Adds a block in addition to the shortcode that can be used with the new WordPress editor (as of version 5.0) or Gutenberg plugin
- Fixing error with very old versions of PHP
- Fix for multi-word category names not working with the “cat” option
- Option to show “powered by” link
- Adds check for minimum WordPress and PHP version
- Adds a link to a short tutorial video
- Changes first example shortcode so it’s easier to copy/paste
- Adds new orderby=’title’ option
- Fixes resetting the WordPress global query instead of just the post data
- Hide the “at” when using venue=’true’ and an event has no venue
- Adds additional WordPress filters to hide certain events
- Adds the ability to use schema=’false’ in the shortcode to hide the schema output
- Fix for month option where there’s an all-day event the first day of the next month
- Fix for “There are no events” string not being translated automatically into other languages
- Adds structured data to the shortcode output (great for SEO and people finding your events)
- Added ecs-featured-event class if event is featured
- Internal changes to filtering by one or more categories
- Changes default ordering by the start date, use orderby=”enddate” for previous default ordering
- Fixes translation of the “View all events” link into other languages
- Adds orderby parameter to order by start date, but still show events until the end date has passed
- Adds ‘next’ option for showing the next month of events
- Adds thumbsize option (ie. medium, large, thumbnail, full)
- Adds ability to translate the plugin into local languages
- Additional description of options
- Additional filter for changing the link for an event
- Adds category CSS classes for each event, so you can format each category differently
- Additional filters for formatting a single event
- Checks for whether The Events Calendar is installed
- Additional filters
- Improved design of shortcode help page
- Fixes issue with “viewall” showing the events twice
- Fixes time zone issue by using current_time() instead of date()
- Hides events that are marked ‘hide from listing’
- Switches to tribe_get_events() to get the events
- Removes the … from the end of the excerpt if less than the excerpt length
- Adds date_thumb option
- Adds additional filters
- Updates author/description (Event Calendar Newsletter / Brian Hogg Consulting)
Add Link to Thumbnail
merge pull request from d4mation -Replaced extracted variables with $atts as using extract was deprecated
Minor Error Change – fix name and slug
Minor Error Change – Multiple Categories
Add options : multi-categories – Thanks to sujin2f
Add options : contentorder, month, past, key – Thanks to sujin2f
Fix missing ul
- Add excerpt and thumbnail – Thanks to ankitpokhrel
- Add venue to shortcode – Thanks to ankitpokhrel
- Fix Firefox browser compatibility issue
- Initial Release