A shortcode to link to telephone numbers if the user is on a smartphone or leave plain text if not and then obfuscate the text/link
|Author:||Grandadevans (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0|
|WordPress version tested:||3.7.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||13-03-2013|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||3 131|
Click to start download
This plugin will convert telephone numbers to callable links if the user is on a smartphone. If the user is not on a smartphone you can either give them custom text/format or leave the telephone number in plain text. The text/link telephone number is then obfuscated to reduce the risk of spambots intercepting your number.
It is also now possible to use the shortcode
The following options are avaiable:
- Add custom link text such as "Call Me!"
- Add custom text for non-smartphone user (eg. different format)
- Add a custom general CSS class to the output (eg class="telephone number")
- Add a class for mobile only devices (eg class="mobile_device")
- Add a class for no mobile devices (eg class="non_mobile_devices")
- Turn the link feature off so that just plain telephone numbers are displayed
- Turn the HTML_entities option on or off
- Turn noscript on or off
- Add a custom noscript message
This plugin is based upon and a re-write of the plugin at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/email-obfuscate-shortcode/
This shows how the plugin affects numbers on a non-mobile device in the plaintext format (custom non_mobile_text screenshot to follow).
this shows how the plugin affects numbers on a mobile device.
This shows the result of clicking on either of the links in the previous mobile screen.
This shows the resulting HTML from both the non-mobile device.
Why should I obfuscate telephone numbers?
Telephone numbers are as succeptable to spambots as emails are and it makes
perfect sense to obfuscate telephone numbers if you are obfuscating email
Why create links on smartphones?
Modern Smartphones are capable of recognising tel: links that can take the
referenced telephone number and place a call to it, therefore saving you the
trouble of writing a telephone number down on one screen to switch to the
dialler and enter it in there.
- Added mobile_css_class and non_mobile_css_class to the previous entry
- Added class property that wraps the output to allow styling of links or text
- Tested on WordPress version 3.7
- Added non_mobile_text attribute to display a custom message or a custom format to non smartphone users
- Much better debugging facilities
- Copied readme description over to php file
- Upgraded code to enable the use of a more verbose or less verbose shortcode
- Added example to short description so that it’s obvious how to use it from the plugin page on readme page
- Made clear in readme that it cannot be a multi-line code
- Plugin accepted to WordPress Plugin Directory so this is verion 1.0
- Upgraded to deccent folder structure and set to upgradable format
- Re-wrote readme file