This plugin adds a widget that will show a modal window to increase awareness about SOPA/PIPA on Jan 18th.
|Author:||jonefox (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0|
|WordPress version tested:||3.3.2|
|Added to WordPress repository:||16-01-2012|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||2 542|
Click to start download
In case you haven't already heard, congress is currently reviewing new bills that threaten the very fabric of the internet. The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) bill, and it's sister bill, Protect IP Act (PIPA), are currently working their way through the United States Congress and the Senate. If these bills pass any copyright holder can simply allege a site infringes on their copyright and the site could be redirected at the DNS level and be cut off from all major ad services and payment processing services - all without any trial or due process of any kind. It's scary stuff, but we won't rehash the full issue here. Read this post, https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/10/sopa-hollywood-finally-gets-chance-break-internet, from the Electronic Frontier Foundation to learn more about this issue.
Help us protect the internet! Contact your representatives, spread the word, and join us in protesting censorship!
- Defaults to show the Stop SOPA message on January 18th from 8am-8pm EST (1300-0100 UTC)
- Loaded asynchronously (won't block the rendering of your page or cause another point of failure)
- You can manually trigger the modal before the 18th by adding the hash #stopsopa to the end of any URL on your site
- Works across browsers (tested on everything from IE6 to iphone)
- Our hosted version is served from a CDN for speed/global delivery
- Supports SSL
- Hackable! Feel free to modify and update however you'd like.