Create step-by-step instructions with images and display them on your post or pages in minutes.
|Author:||Kyle M. Brown (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.6.1|
|WordPress version tested:||5.4.2|
|Added to WordPress repository:||19-05-2014|
|Total downloads:||11 090|
Click to start download
Display your data step-by-step style with images and display them on your post or pages in minutes with ease. Keep the standard WYSIWYG content separate from your step-by-step instructions for easy editing.
Step by Step Features
- Create step-by-step instructions with ease.
- Each step is created in its own separate module.
- Separate interface for creating steps.
- Use the standard WYSIWYG editor for background type of information.
- Specify a specific image per step.
- Specify a specific text per step.
- Add a custom description for you step-by-step instructions.
- Place “steps” on pages or post using shortcodes.
- Can be used to display anything requiring step-by-step instructions.
- E.g. Manuals, procedures, guidelines, How-to’s, math instructions, recipes, and more.
- Enlarge images with modal windows.
- Use the native WordPress image feature to upload and store images.
- Annotate and edit images inside of the browser.
- Change the front end layout of the steps to vertical similar to wikihow.com
- Add rich meta (links, bold, etc) to the body area.
- Publish directly to stand alone guide pages without using shortcodes.
- Responsive layout.
- Custom categories and slugs in the url.
Use the standard WYSIWYG editor for background type of information.
Guides made up of steps are managed their own section.
Each step is created in its own separate module.
Give your guide a title and add some background information.
Add or remove steps at anytime.
Add or remove images.
Completed page displaying a guide made up of step-by-step instructions.
Q. How do I get the steps on a page or post?
A. Once the steps are created and saved from the ‘Guides’ interface, a shortcode is automatically generated. This shortcode can be placed in a post or a page.
Q. Can I place photos in each step?
Q. Does this work inside of the standard WYSIWYG interface?
A. Yes and No. The step-by-step admin interface called ‘Guides’ is separate from the standard WYSIWYG interface. Once guides containing steps have been created, the shortcode can be place anywhere you wish.
Q. I did an update and now guide preview doesn’t work, what can I do?
A. At this time guide previews may 404 for guides created using earlier versions. Guides created after a plugin update should preview fine.
Q. When I click view it shows a 404 error page.
A. This appears to be a WordPress error and we have found two workarounds.
*Visit the “Permalink” page and then try to view your guide again.
*Change your guide to “draft” instead of “published” and use the “preview” feature instead.
Visit the complete FAQ at kylembrown.com/step-by-step for additional help and troubleshooting tips.
- Tested with WordPress 5.4.1 (6/9/2020)
- Tested with WordPress 5.0.3 Gutenberg (1/17/2019)
- Tested with WordPress 4.9.6 (6/5/2018)
- Tested with WordPress 4.8.2 (10/27/2017)
- Tested with WordPress 4.8 (7/7/2017)
- Tested with WordPress 4.7 (12/8/2016)
- Tested with WordPress 4.6 (8/23/2016)
- Tested with WordPress 4.5.2 (5/8/2016)
- Tested with WordPress 4.5
- Tested with WordPress 4.4.2
- Repositioned product link on admin menu
- Added Sidebar info in settings
- Tested with WordPress 4.4
- Tested with WordPress 4.3
- Updated tags
- Tested with WordPress 4.2
- Tested with WordPress 4.1
- Added new images
- Tested with WordPress 4.0
- Multisite broken image link issue resolved
- Edits for language support
- Minor bug fixes
- Minor bug fixes
- Fixed bug preventing image uploads in some cases.
- Minor naming corrections.
- Corrected guides displaying above all body text of the post or page.
- Changed base category from articles to guides during preview
- Added notice to indicate when guides are being previewed.
- Added the ability to save or remove guides during plugin reinstall / uninstall.
- Corrected undefined indexes errors seen upon visiting Add New Guides page
- Corrected errors seen when deleting a guide
- Corrected greyed save buttons when attempting to save a new guide.
- Corrected non displaying steps when preview button is clicked
- Corrected offset error messages at top of pages where shortcode had been pasted.
- Added a link on the plugins page to access Add New Guides page quickly.
- Added the ability to preview a guide before publishing.
- Initial release