Count the number of downloads without having to maintain a comprehensive download page.
|Author:||Tips and Tricks HQ, Ruhul Amin, Josh Lobe (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.1.0|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.4|
|Added to WordPress repository:||28-10-2009|
|Total downloads:||298 378|
|Active installs:||10 000+|
Click to start download
- Go to the Add New plugins screen in your WordPress admin area
- Click the upload tab
- Browse for the plugin file (simple-download-monitor.zip)
- Click Install Now and then activate the plugin
Can this plugin be used to offer free downloads to the users?
What file formats can I upload?
You can pretty much upload all common file types.
Can I use external file URLs?
Yes, you can use both local paths and external URLs.
Can I password protect a downloadable file?
Can I show the file download counts to my visitors?
Can I show all downloads from a category?
Can I show an ajax file tree browser using this plugin?
Can I show a number of latest downloads to my usrs?
Can I track downloads from unique IP address only?
- Fixed an issue with the new shortcode that was added. Usage documentation of the shortcode: https://simple-download-monitor.com/showing-specific-details-of-a-download-item-using-a-shortcode/
- Added a new shortcode to show any info/details of the download item. Example shortcode: [sdm_show_download_info id=”123″ download_info=”title”]
- Fixed a PHP warning.
- Added sanitization to the input fields that needed it.
- Listed the 3rd party libraries/services used in the readme file.
- Fixed stored-XSS bug. Thanks to d4wner.
- Added “Text Domain” and “Domain Path” to the File Header.
- Renamed the “langs” folder to “languages”
- Added a few more user-agents check in the is_bot function.
- Search shortcode has been improved so it performs the search using each keyword of a multi-word search phrase. It will ignore any word that are less than 4 characters long.
- Includes some missing translation strings to the POT file.
- Added check for a couple of user-agents in the is_bot function.
- Added a filter that can be used to override what you consider bot via your own custom function.
- Added a new option in the settings menu to ignore downloads from bots. The name of the new settings field is “Do Not Count Downloads from Bots”.
- Updated the settings menu slug to make it unique.
- Enhancement to the password protected download function.
- Fixed an issue with the shortcode inserter interface showing the last 5 items only.
- The “show_size” shortcode parameter will work correctly with the fancy template now.
- Reworked the file upload interface to make it more user-friendly.
- Delete plugin Data button now also deletes taxonomies and rewrite rules related to plugin.
- Added option to delete plugin’s settings, data and tables from database.
- Added “Login Page URL” option to optionally specify a login page URL when user is required to be logged in to download.
- Updated the slug of the new stats menu in this plugin so it doesn’t conflict with jetpack’s stat menu.
- Added “Stats” menu in the plugin that shows download count using a chart.
- Removed the “modal” class definition from the admin CSS file.
- The [sdm_search_form] can take the fancy template as a shortcode argument to display the search result using that template.
- Added a new option “Only Allow Logged-in Users to Download”.
- Added [sdm_search_form] shortcode to display a search form for searching SDM downloads only.
- The password protected download button will use the “button_text” specified in the shortcode (if any).
- The download now log will track WP eMember plugin username if the user is logged in as a member.
- Added a new hook to allow plugin extensions to hook into download request handling.
- Added empty index file to the plugin folder.
- Fixed potential XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Neven Biruski (Defensecode) for pointing it out.
- Minor typo fix.
- Added an improvement for the password protected download. If a user goes directly to the download link without entering a password, it will point the users to go to a page where they can enter a password for the download item.
- Fix fancy template shortcode attributes: some shortcode attributes were ignored in the previous release.
- Download button color can now be specified in the shortcode for fancy 1 and the standard download button.
- Added clearfix to .sdm_download_link container for better rendering in mobile devices.
- The button text color CSS has been sharpened a little to make it look nicer.
- Fixed an undefined variable notice.
- Updated TinyMCE button icon to a better one.
- Minimum WordPress version requirement changed to WP4.1
- Replace deprecated get_currentuserinfo() with wp_get_current_user()
- Improve remote IP and location detection
- Added a new shortcode to show a simple list of the download categories
- Fix: avoid undefined variable notices in sdm_pop_cats_ajax_call()
- New feature – local download items can now be dispatched via PHP. This way, the actual URL of the downloaded file is not exposed (offers secure download).
- Minimum required WP version raised to WordPress v3.3
- WordPress 4.6 compatibility.
- Added an option to specify the file size info when editing the item. Size info can be shown in the fancy display template using a shortcode parameter (show_size).
- Added an option to specify the version number info when editing the item. Version info can be shown in the fancy display template using a shortcode parameter (show_version).
- Added French language translation. Translation file submitted by Laurent Jaunaux.
- The stats metabox in the download edit page will now appear before the shortcodes metabox.
- Added more usage instructions in the download file upload section.
- Added a new feature to hide the download counts that is shown in some of the fancy templates. This new option can be found in the settings menu of the plugin.
- Added delete confirm dialogue in the individual download logs delete option.
- Simplified the settings menu page style.
- Fixed multiple vulnerabilities (thanks to NCSC-NL).
- Better implementation of the export log data to CSV file.
- Added a new filter in the download logs menu so the items per page value can be customized.
- Fixed a bug in the logs menu sorting. Sorting for some columns weren’t working correctly.
- Added sanitization for the order and orderby columns in the logs list table.
- Added sanitization for the log entry delete functionality.
- Renamed the label of categories and tags of this plugin to “Download Categories” and “Download Tags”.
- Better implementation of password protected download items. The ajax method of checking password has been completely replaced with a more robust implementation.
- Fixed a bug with the remove thumbnail ajax query.
- Thanks to @James Golovich for pointing out the issues.
- WordPress 4.4 compatibility.
- Added a new feature to specify the new window parameter when using the shortcode inserter (from TinyMCE).
- Minor CSS style fix for the “Logs” interface.
- The log entries will be sorted by “date” field (by default).
- The language slug has been changed to “simple-download-monitor” so it can be imported to the WordPress language pack.
- Modified the ‘sdm_download_shortcode_output’ filter to pass the arguments array also (allows greater customization option via this filter).
- Added a new option to show X number of latest downloads from a specified category.
- Added a new feature to show pagination in the display all downloads from a category shortcode.
- Added validation checks while processing a download request to make sure the download item ID is valid and the item has a download link.
- Addressed some warning/notice messages that shows when debug is enabled.
- Added a new shortcode to create a direct download link for the file. Useful if you want to create a custom download link.
- WordPress 4.2 compatibility.
- Fixed an issue with the ajax category browser shortcode.
- Improved the ajax category downloads shortcode to show an up/down arrow icon next to the category name.
- Added a textbox to manually type in an image thumbnail URL when editing a download item.
- Improved the image thumbnail preview in the admin side.
- Added placeholder text in the URL input fields.
- Fixed a compatibility issue with WooCommerce’s latest release.
- Enabled shortcode filtering in standard text widget.
- Fixed an intermittent issue with the rewrite rules flushing.
- Added Portuguese language translation. Translation file submitted by Visto Marketing.
- New feature to disable the download monitoring (logging) for certain items (or all items).
- New option to only monitor downloads from unique IP address only.
- Improved the queries in the “Logs” interface to be more efficient.
- Added a new feature to reset/empty the download log entries. You can find it in the “Logs” menu of the plugin.
- Added Spanish language translation. Translation file submitted by Manuel.
- Added Russian language translation. Translation file submitted by Балашов Алекс.
- Added Dutch language translation. Translation file submitted by Paul Tuinman.
- Added a new feature to show X number of latest downloads.
- New feature to track the usernames of the WP Users downloading the files. You can view the username info in the “Logs” menu.
- Enabled the “View” link in the all downloads list table.
- Some refactoring work to move the admin menu handling code to a separate file.
- Added an option to use “orderby” and “order” parameters in the display downloads from a category shortcode to allow sorting the download items display list.
- The download item description field has been converted to a rich text editor. So you can customize the download description with rich text.
- Removed the link from the download item name in the template 2 display.
- Fixed a bug with the file download password entry field.
- Added a new fancy template to display the downloads.
- You can now show a grid display of your downloads.
- Added some error validation in the download shortcode entry.
- Refactored some code and added a couple of new filters.
- Added CSS classes around the download count shortcode output.
- Modified the styles of the simple downloads post type output.
- The fancy 1 template now shows the download count of each item.
- Updated the POT file for language translation.
- Added an option to specify a download count offset for each download. This will allow you to set a starting download count for each item.
- Added a new parameter in the shortcode to allow customization of the button text. You can now customize the “Download Now” button text to anything you want from the shortcode.
- Added a new parameter in the shortcode to allow opening the download in a new window or tab.
- Added visitor Country to database table; allowing tracking of each download visitors Country.
- Visitor Country is also seen in the “Logs” page; can be sorted; and exported.
- Added the ability to use shortcodes in the description area of the downloads. For example: you can use the download counter shortcode in the description field to show the current counter to your visitors.
- Bug-fix for the “show downloads from a category” shortcode. It will now correctly show all items in a download category.
- Added a better dashicons icon for the downloads menu in the admin dashborad.
- Added a new feature to show an ajax file tree browser.
- Added some missing translation strings in the plugin.
- Added German language translation. Translation file submitted by Meinhard
- Changed the password input field to a type of “password”
- Fixed a minor but that would preven the “view” links from displaying in WordPress posts
- Added a new shortcode to show all downloads from a download category.
- Added a filter to handle the URL of SDM downloads post type.
- Added a new feature to password protect a downloadable file.
- Added a new shortcode to show the download count to your visitors.
- Fixed an issue with file download using external file URL.
- WordPress 3.8 compatibility
- Fixed the plugin language translation issue. Now it can be translated to any language.
- Minor bug fixes with the stylesheet file URL.
- Complete new architecture for the download monitor plugin
- You can download the old version with old architecture here: