The ShortPixel WordPress plugin optimizes images automaticaly using both lossy and lossless compression, thus improving your website performance.
|Author:||ShortPixel (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.2.0|
|WordPress version tested:||5.0.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||05-11-2014|
|Total downloads:||1 630 283|
|Active installs:||100 000+|
Click to start download
Bulk optimization running. (Media>Bulk ShortPixel)
Activate your API key in the plugin Settings. (Settings>ShortPixel)
Check out the main settings after API key activated. (Settings>ShortPixel)
Tweak it using Advanced settings. (Settings>ShortPixel)
Compress all your past images with one click. (Media>Bulk ShortPixel)
Check your stats: number of processed files, saved space, average compression, saved bandwidth, remaining images. (Settings>ShortPixel)
Check images optimization status, restore or reoptimize the image. (Media>Library)
Check image optimization details. (Media>Library->Edit)
Check other optimized images status - themes or other plugins' images. (Media>Other Media)
How does ShortPixel compare to other image optimisation plugins (e.g Smush, Imagify, TinyPNG, Kraken, EWWW)?
ShortPixel has better compression rates, more features, supports backups and has very affordable one-time plans.
If you are serious about making an informed decision please take 10 minutes and read this article.
Can I use the same API Key on multiple web sites?
Yes, you can.
As long as you have available credits you can use a single API Key on as many websites as you wish!
Can I test/use the plugin for free?
Yes you can.
We offer 100 free image optimization credits each month. Exceeding the monthly free quota will pause the optimization process till the quota is reset or extended by buying one of our plans.
Can I optimize images that aren’t in Media Library?
You can actually optimize any image you have on your site regardless of its place. You just need to add – in the Advanced section of the ShortPixel Settings – the folders where the images you want to optimize are located and ShortPixel will work its magic and do the rest.
Can I optimize both past and new images?
You can optimize all your past/current images using our “Bulk ShortPixel” page in your Media with a single click.
A credit = an optimized image?
Yes, that is correct.
But please note that usually an image in Media Library has 3, 5 or more associated thumbs. Each optimized thumb requires a credit. In the rare cases when ShortPixel does not optimize the image (lossy) with at least 5%, the credit will not be consumed, though.
Can I restore my images? What happens with the originals?
If you choose the “Image backup” option in Settings/ShortPixel then the original version of any optimized image or PDF will be saved in the backup folder.
The original image is needed if you want to restore an image or if you want to convert an image from lossy/glossy to lossless or viceversa.
What types of formats can be optimized?
ShortPixel optimizes JPEG, PNG, GIF and PDF type of files.
Do you have one-time plans?
Yes we do.
The credits that come with our one-time plans never expire. Yummy! 🙂
What happens to my existing images?
Your existing images are replaced with the optimized ones.
If you choose the backup option then the originals will be saved in a separate folder so you can restore them should you ever need/want to do that.
How does the plugin work?
Our light-weight plugin sends the original images to our Image Optimization Cloud where they are compressed. ShortPixel then downloads the optimized images and the unoptimized originals are replaced with the optimized versions.
Do you optimize the images in cloud?
Yes, all the images processsed by ShortPixel are optimized in the Cloud. This takes the load off of your server and allows us to produce the best results.
What payment methods are accepted?
We accept payments via PayPal and card.
How do I activate the API key on a multisite?
You have to activate the plugin in the network admin and then activate it manually on each individual site in the multisite. Once you have done that, the Settings menu appears and you can add the API key for each individual site.
As an alternative, you can edit wp-config.php and add this line
where ‘APIKEY’ is the API Key received upon sign up.
If configured that way, the API key will be used for all the sites of the multisite but will only be visible on the main site’s Settings page, being hidden for the rest of the sites.
I am not the only one working in the WordPress Dashboard. How can I hide my API key?
There is a simple way to hide the API key, all you need to do is to add these two lines in your wp-config.php:
How much is a credit?
A credit is used each time ShortPixel optimizes an image or thumbnail by at least 5%. If we’re not able to optimize an image or thumbnail by at least 5% then no credit will be used 🙂
Please also note that usually images in your Media Library have 3-5 thumbs associated and a credit will be used for each featured image or associated thumbnail that is optimized.
Why shall I use a wordpress plugin and not an offline tool?
Because ShortPixel algorithms were perfected while optimizing over a hundred million real-life images.
ShortPixel not only offers the best compression for JPEG, PNG, GIF and PDF files but it also saves you a lot of time. You just install it on your site and then ShortPixel will take care that all the images on your site are immediately optimized after upload.
Does optimizing images affect my ALT tags?
No, ShortPixel only optimizes images, it won’t touch anything else like your HTML/CSS.
If I stop using ShortPixel will my images remain optimized?
Once optimized the images will remain optimized unless you explicitly choose to restore them. But why would you do that? 🙂
Do I have to pay monthly or one time?
We have both options available.
One-time credits never expire are a bit more expensive. Check out our prices here
When can I cancel a monthly plan?
Whenever you want.
The credits you still have available for the current billing period will still be available until the end of the billing period. At the end of it, you won’t be billed again and the plan will be reset to the free plan.
When credits expire?
Monthly credits expire after 30 days while one-time credits never expire.
Do you have an API?
Yes, we have several APIs and tools.
You can learn more about it here:
Can I use ShortPixel WP plugin on a localhost installation?
How does resizing work?
If you choose the option to resize your images then the featured image can be resized to a predefined size while keeping its aspect and proportions intact. The associated thumbs won’t be resized
Using this option you can safely upload original images safely without needing to apply any pre-processing to make them smaller.
Will ShortPixel work if my website is using CloudFare?
Absolutely! Sometimes you’ll need to make sure you whitelist some IPs, just contact us and we’ll assist you with that.
I’m stuck. What do I do?
The ShortPixel team is here to help. Contact us!
- Improved: The Webp options interface. Now the user can implement Webp images both via .htaccess and by altering the page code on the server before being sent to the browser.
- Improved: The settings data handling interface in the Plugin deactivation dialogue. Now the option to delete or keep the user settings on plugin deletion is more clear.
- Added: Option to download image with thumbnails in a single archive file, to speed-up the optimization.
- Added: A “shortpixel_get_backup” filter, which receives the local path of the media image and returns the ShortPixel backup path, if a backup image exists
- Added: The “Simple Image Sizes” plugin to the conflicting plugins list
- Added: A new compatibility check for the “Jetpack” plugin, alerting the user about potential overlapping functionality
- Added: A safety alert before switching to Code Altering mode (where IMG tgs get inserted into PICTURE tags, to better serve Webp images)
- Added: Enhanced “Envira” plugin compatibility by adding more suffixes to be looked for: _tl, _tr, _bl, _br
- Added: More customized FAQ suggestions in the HelpScout Beacon helper, to address each Plugin TAB separately
- Fixed: The post-uninstall redirect when uninstalling a plugin from within the respective plugin’s Settings page
- Fixed: The credits display on the Statistics page
- Fixed: Refreshing a plugin page now loads directly in the previously selected TAB
- Fixed: Removed a stray “SP_CELL_MESSAGE” div from the interface
Release date: 6th November 2018
- Fix WebP replacement for lazy-loaded images
- Fix WebP replacement with output buffering on some WP installs
Release date: 31st October 2018
- Generate WebP <picture> tags – use the output buffer instead of the_content which is not triggered by some themes on all content.
- compatibility of the WebP <picture> tag with lazy loading plugins (that support <picture>)
- Compatibility with Polylang.
- hooks to be used by thumbnail regeneration plugins: ‘shortpixel-thumbnails-before-regenerate’ and ‘shortpixel-thumbnails-regenerated’
- Proper error message when the custom tables cannot be created.
- exclude the PNGs from conversion to JPEG when they match the exclude patterns.
- properly warn when cURL is not enabled that Cloudflare integration won’t work.
- send only one url for metadata thumbnails which correspond to the same physical file.
- fix identifying filenames with basename length == 3 as retina
- display improvements for the bulk errors list
Release date: 27th September 2018
- fix error when metadata is returned as string by wp_get_attachment_metadata (happens to PDFs when using PDF Image Generator)
- remove the configurable Affiliate code as per new WP Themes rules.
Release date: 30th August 2018
- Fix “Image files are missing” warning when thumbails optimization is activated but all the thumbnails are excepted from optimization and the bulk is ran a second time.
- Fix not saving properly the metadata on some situations
Release date: 28th August 2018
- compatibility with the MediaPress plugin
- new action to be called by when thumbnails are regenerated: shortpixel-thumbnails-regenerated
- accept ‘+’ inside the e-mail address
- fix optimization not working on internationalized domain names
- better count of the not optimized thumbs for an image, in some circumstances
- fallback to ABSPATH when get_home_path() returns ‘/’
- fix settings tabs navigation when url ends with #/
- extract all release notes < 4.9 from readme.txt into changelog.txt
- display the thumbnail name for some errors which refer only to a specific thumbnail.
- use update_post_meta() instead of wp_update_attachment_metadata() for cases when other plugins cannot be concerned by the meta change (specific to ShortPixel)
- add the attributes of the original to the replacement tag, in case the “Generate WebP Markup” option is active.
- fix action buttons in media edit view overflowing their box
- restore full compatibility with WP < 4.1 by checking first before using wp_json_encode
- fix admin when domain is internationalized but the setting in admin uses the punycode-encrypted version
Release date: 3rd July 2018
- add bulk menu options: restore, reoptimize
- filter the media list by optimization status
- sort the media list by optimization status
- do not display the Media Library (years) folders in the selection list for Other Media folders
- force PNG 2 JPG conversion option
- integrate with Gravity Forms
- integrate with WP Stateless
- add several actions and a filter (see the Actions and Filters section of the readme)
- UI improvements to the settings page
- fix the WPML compatibility when converting from PNG
- fix SELECT IN image counting bug on rare cases and when >100k records in wp_postmeta
- add option to delete ShortPixel settings and give feedback form on deactivate plugin
- GDPR compliance
- replace back the PNG links when restoring a PNG converted to JPG
- fix incompatibility with Dynamics 365 Integration plugin
- improve restore capabilities after certain types of PNG to JPG errors which left the media item in an unconsistent state.
- remove AUTH credentials on server too, if removed in plugin’s settings.
- more performance improvements to PNG 2 JPG conversion
- fix replacing PNG urls having http:// instead of https:// for a SSL site. (and viceversa)
- fix string not appearing in translations
- improvements to context help beacon
- performance improvements to PNG to JPG conversion
- fix error when listing Other media in some circumstances
- fix missing file from commit
- option to exclude thumbnails from optimization
- options to delete Cloudflare cache for optimized images
- method to define affilate codes for themes
- error message when restore could not be performed
- better handling of situations with files with different owner but with write permissions for all
- fix bug for inner resize when setting and unsetting the resize parameter
- fix bug for third-party WebP thumbnails registered in the ‘sizes’ metadata array which were sent to optimization.
- check if function mb_convert_encoding exists before using it
- fix error for older WP versions which don’t have wp_raise_memory_limit
- inline help beacon
- fix exclude patterns not working after last update
- handle situations when not enough memory to convert from PNG to JPG.
- fix particular situations where there was no ‘file’ property in the metadata.
- fix slider optimized percent over the bulk warning box.
- display the x close link for the bulk warning box.
- please refer to the changelog.txt file inside the plugin archive.