Blubrry PowerPress brings the essential features for podcasting to WordPress including full iTunes support, web audio/video media players and more.
|Author:||Blubrry (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.6|
|WordPress version tested:||4.8.2|
|Added to WordPress repository:||08-08-2008|
|Total downloads:||1 096 196|
|Active installs:||50 000+|
Click to start download
PowerPress's Simple Mode will walk you through setting up your podcast in 3 easy steps.
Just like blogging, podcasting utilizes blog posting features with the addition of a podcast episode box. Yes, podcasting is that simple!
PowerPress integrates seamlessly with Blubrry Podcast Hosting's exclusive player.
PowerPress comes with a built-in subscribe sidebar widget to help your audience subscribe to your podcast.
PowerPress comes with an editable subscribe page builder with a subscribe embed tool to help your web visitors subscribe.
PowerPress's Advanced Mode settings let you dig in as deep as you want to with every possible setting for podcasting at your fingertips.
PowerPress incorporates the built-in WordPress media players into your blog posts and pages.
Point and Click Installation
- Sign into your blog, go to the plugins section and click ‘Add New’.
- In the search box enter “PowerPress”, then click ‘Search’.
- Click the ‘Install Now’ link and proceed to install the plugin.
- Once installed, click ‘Activate’.
- Configure your Blubrry PowerPress by going to the Settings > Blubrry PowerPress page.
To install Blubrry PowerPress manually, follow these steps:
- Download PowerPress from WordPress.org.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to a temporary folder.
- Copy the entire powerpress folder from the downloaded zip file into the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your server.
- Activate the “Blubrry PowerPress” plugin in your blog’s Plugin Management page.
- Configure your Blubrry PowerPress by going to the Settings > Blubrry PowerPress page.
Compatible Themes and Plugins
Most themes and plugins are compatible with PowerPress. PowerPress is developed and tested using the default themes packaged with WordPress including twentyten, twentytwelve, twentythirteen, twentyfourteen, twentyfifteen, and all future versions. These themes use WordPress best practices and adhere to theme rules set by WordPress.org. Any child theme based on these themes should also work without issue.
If you are having a problem, try Diagnosing Feed and/or Player Issues.
If you are having a problem specifically with the player and links, try the “Having issues?” option under PowerPress Settings > Appearance tab. Visit Resolving Plugin or Theme Conflicts for details.
Premium podcasting themes compatible with PowerPress
Appendipity Podcast Pro theme is is designed specifically to take advantage of built-in features, settings and podcast episode meta data in PowerPress. The Blubrry team works with the Appendipity team during beta testing and major WordPress releases to make sure the Podcast Pro theme and PowerPress work together seamlessly.
The following plugins may be used in conjunction with PowerPress.
- Message Flow – generates a CoverFlow-like interface for your blog posts with podcast episodes. For podcasts, use shortocde
- Eli’s PowerPress Addon Widget – Adds a sidebar widget that lists your podcast episodes linked to the play in a new window PowerPress player.
- PowerPress Posts From MySQL – Creates blog posts with PowerPress podcast episode information from a MySQL table.
- Featured Podcast Widget, Home Page – A widget that enables you to display your latest podcast from a category or featured podcast utilising the PowerPress plugin’s default player.
- Subscribe Sidebar plugin by Blubrry – A sidebar widget that provides a list of “Subscribe” links to your sidebar.
Why doesn’t Blubrry PowerPress support multiple enclosures in one feed item/post?
Blubrry PowerPress does not allow you to include multiple media files for one feed item (blog post). This is because each podcatcher handles multiple enclosures in feeds differently. iTunes will download the first enclosure that it sees in the feed ignoring the rest. Other podcatchers and podcasting directories either pick up the first enclosure or the last in each post item. This inconsistency combined with the fact that Dave Winer does not recommend multiple enclosures and the FeedValidator.org recommendation against it is why the Blubrry PowerPress does not support them.
As a alternative, PowerPress allows you to create additional Custom Podcast Feeds to associate any magnitude of media format and/or length in a blog post to specific custom feeds. For example, you can create one blog post associated to separate video and audio podcast feeds saving you time from entering your show notes twice.
Why doesn’t Blubrry PowerPress include media statistics built-in?
Blubrry PowerPress does not include media statistics built-in. This is not because Blubrry has its own statistics service, although that’s a good reason by itself. Maintaining and calculating statistics is a resource and server intensive task that would add bloat to an otherwise efficient WordPress podcasting plugin. We recommend using your media hosting’s web statistics to give you basic download numbers and, if you are seeking more grandular measurements such as client and geographical information for each episode, you’re more than welcome to use the Blubrry Statistics service as well.
You may however access your Blubrry Statistics from within your WordPress dashboard.
How do you insert the player within a blog post?
You can insert the media player within your blog posts by using the WordPress shortcode feature. The shortcode for PowerPress is
[powerpress] (all lowercase)
You may use the shortcode to add a player to other media files (non episode files) by specifying the media url in the shortcode: [powerpress url=”http://example.com/path/to/media.mp3″]
For advanced users with multiple podcast feeds, you may insert the player for a specific feed by specifying the feed slug in the shortcode: [powerpress feed=”podcast”]
If you want to specify a cover image, add an image attribute which points to the specific image url: [powerpress image=”http://example.com/path/to/cover_image.jpg”] Experimental
Why can’t you upload large media files?
File uploads are tricky to handle because there are so many web hosting variations with different upload size limits. We recommend using an FTP application to upload large media files. FTP is much more efficient than web based uploads and is typically provided by nearly all web hosting providers.
The Media Player does not appear on my site?
. . . or the RSS feed is invalid?
This can happen when there is a theme or plugin conflict. Please visit our Diagnosing Feed and/or Player Issues for instructions how to resolve such issues.
Next Major Release Announcements
- Facebook Instant Articles for podcasting coming in next release!
- We are looking for beta testers! If you would like to beta test future versions of PowerPress, please contact us with your name and email.
Fan of PowerPress and want to show your support?
If you are a fan of PowerPress, we would greatly appreciate it if you could take a moment and leave us a review on WordPress.org. Your support is greatly appreciated!
- Released on 08/24/2017
- NOTE: There is no urgency to update to this version unless you can benefit from bug fixes listed.
- BETA COMING SOON: PowerPress 7.2 Beta will be available within 24-72 hours. Please visit https://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/powerpress-beta/ for more details.
- Added logic to prevent the W3 Total Cache plugin from minifying podcast feeds. (Thanks @allimaple for bringing to our attention)
- Fixed warning messages in the getid3 library so they comply with PHP 7.1+. (Thanks @mahe for letting us know about the problem)
- Fixed error verifying URLs for file formats not supported by iTunes.
- Feed import now compatible with Spreaker podcast feeds.
- Added code when including the subscribe CSS file to make sure it’s always included with various WordPress updates (Thanks Tim for the code fix!)
- Added checkbox in Blubrry Player configuration for making iTunes Episode image use optional with player. Unchecked by default.
- Released on 7/11/2017
- Added support for iOS 11!
- iTunes type added, specifcy episodic or serial for your podcast program (for iOS 11).
- iTunes episode title, number, season and type added for your episodes (for iOS 11).
- Subscribe on iTunes changed to Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, links have been enhanced to highlight episodes.
- Blubrry Podcast Media Hosting and HTTPS: Media URLs are now automatically converted to HTTPS.
- Added compatibility for the SG CachePress plugin. PowerPress will clear the cache if there was an error. (Thanks @grudesky for getting us in touch with developers!)
- Fixed error with creating the subscribe page in some languages (Thanks @edithmayerhofer for bringing to our attention).
- Better error reporting when importing podcast feed images.
- Verify media option improvements, mp3 duration is now detected even faster in most cases!
- Added logic to prevent notice messages with the subscribe_shortcode and newest versions of PHP. (Thanks @mahe for bringing to our attention)
- Added “Hide player / links: Read more tagged posts” option, hides the player and links on pages with the read more link. (Thanks @calebsg0 for the suggestion!)
- Google play schema URL updated.
- Added “redirect_rule” list of post types not used for podcasting. For compatibility with the “Safe Redirect Manager” plugin.
- Blubrry Player now uses the episode itunes image if set. The URLs to the images must be https:// in order to appear on social networking sites.
- Windows Media Player in browser support has been removed. Microsoft Edge browser does not support Windows Media Player in the browser.
- New logic added for dealing with Internet Explorer / Edge browser preloading media when using the MediaElement.js player.
- Fixed PHP warning message if media size in bytes is zero when displaying file size with player links.
- No longer using self closing XML for iTunes Categories.
- iTunes subscribe itpc:// links are no longer supported.
- Editing default podcast channel now imports global settings by default if blank. (Thanks Robin for bringing to our attention!)
- RSS Podcast feed Import error message added when the PHP XML library is not available. (Thanks @hgetrost for bringing to our attention!)
- Released on 2/18/2017
- NOTE: There is no urgency to update to this version unless you can benefit from the new import options, top level iTunes category options, or bug fixes listed.
- Playlist player bug fix: When ids=”” are specified, episodes are now listed in the order entered rather than by date. (Thanks Zach Herbert for bringing to our attention!)
- Updated the
powerpress_subscribeshortcode to include the latest iTunes button in svg format and added the iTunes small badge. Use attribute itunes_badge=”true” to display iTunes badge.
- Changed import feed code to use the current author ID rather than hard coded to 1. (Thanks @tund3r for the bug fix!)
- Import feed for libsyn updated. (Thanks @tund3r for the code fix!)
- Import feed advanced option “Remove query strings from media URLs” added. (Thanks @tund3r!)
- Fixed rare PHP Notice unserialize() on line 3094 error that may happen if the podcast episode serialized data is not present. (Thanks @hmseb for pointing out the notice to us!)
- Added colon “:” to list of characters that can be in a valid media URL. (Thanks AfterBuzzTV.com! for the heads up!)
- Fixed notice message that can appear when using the media objects with the powerpress shortcode. (Thanks @srumery for reporting the problem!)
- Fixed issue with dashboard failing to load in some cases due to news feed being blocked by web server. (Thanks Jacob K. for helping us debug the problem!)
- iTunes categories with subcategories are no longer strictly enforced. If you want to select “Art” without selecting a sub category you now can. Selecting a category with a sub category is still optimal.
- Added ability to import a podcast feed to a post type podcast feed or to a podcast channel.
- Added ability to set the post status when importing a podcast feed. (Thanks @hgetrost for the feature suggestion!)
- Added compatibility with the Custom Post Widget plugin. (Thanks @aparentdesign for letting us know about the problem)
- Fixed bug where ogg audio was not using the correct audio player. (Thanks @joeress for letting us know about the bug)
- Fixed bug with import not matching episode media URLs correctly. (Thanks @hgetrost for bringing to our attention)
- Released 9/13/2016
- Fixed issue when editing channel/category/post type podcast settings double escaping & character. (Thanks Robin Brinkler for bringing to our attention!)
- Added checks for OpenSSL and cURL SSL support to the Diagnostics page.
- PowerPress “Verify” option now works with MemberPress. (Thanks MemberPress for the code!)
- Added new debugging define
POWERPRESS_DEBUG_QUERIES, displays SQL queries at the bottom of the feed for diagnostic purposes.
- Feed option to not allow other plugins from modyfing podcast feeds now bypasses the
- Added 2 new define options for podcast feeds and HTTPS. For example, it is possible to host your website via HTTPS but serve the feed via HTTP. (Thanks @Fastmover for the patch that inspired this option)
define('POWERPRESS_FEEDS_FORCE_HTTPS', true);when added to wp-config.php forces all media links and iTunes images to use HTTPS.
define('POWERPRESS_FEEDS_FORCE_HTTP', true);when added to wp-config.php forces all media links and iTunes images to use HTTP.
- Released on 7/22/2016
- Fixed bug with new Blubrry Player not displaying show notes button.
- Added TuneIn subscribe URL option. (Thanks @kgagne for bringing to our attention!)
- Removed the PHP 5.2 or older error message in the getid3 library. (Thanks davidpmariano for the heads up!)
- Fixed bug where podcast channels with a blank feed title do not apply specific channel settings like the website link. (Thanks Robin Brinkler for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug where category episodes were not using the category settings like they used to if only one category is selected. (Thanks Jason Bryant for explaining the situation for us to reproduce the problem!)
- Added additional logic to better handle category podcasting when strict category podcasting is not enabled.
- Removed itunes:summary when Feed Maximizer on (this was the behavior before 7.0). iTunes summary is a duplicate of the RSS description. To include itunes summary in maximizer mode, please add
define('POWERPRESS_MAXIMIZER_INCLUDE_ITUNES_SUMMARY', true);in your wp-config.php.
- Released on 6/20/2016
- Fixed bug where verify media could fail with “unable to determine file format” caused by getid3 library update. (Thanks @budgetnerd for bringing to our attention!)
- Re-added the itpc links for subscribe on iTunes when no iTunes subscribe URL provided. For those who wanted this, please notice itpc does not work on iOS devices.
- Statistics redirects that do not end with a / will now work. We add a slash if no slash is present.
- Removed February 2016 iTunes notice message.
- Subscribe by Email, on Google Play and Stitcher options removed for premium podcast feeds.
- Subscribe links will no longer appear when episode no links option checked. (Thanks @360woodworking for bringing to our attention)
- Released on 6/6/2016
- Added Google Play Music to subscribe page shortcode embed and sidebar widget.
- Added Stitcher to subscribe page shortcode embed and sidebar widget.
- New: Strict Category Podcasting. Select a specific category to each episode for statistics tracking and subscription links.
- New: Podcast only category feeds. You can now mix blog posts with podcast episodes in your podast categories.
- New: Blubrry Audio Player. Modern podcast audio player complete with subscribe and share tools. For Blubrry Hosting customers only.
- Updated the getid3 library to latest version.
- Embed link enhanced to use provided embed. If an embed is placed into an episode, the embed link below the player will use that embed as well.
- Fixed bug where post type podcast feed with slug ‘podcast’ will also get the default podcast feed settings (Thanks steveportigal for bringing to our attention).
- Fixed bug with WP 4.5 dropping the
rss-httpcontent type “text/xml”.
- Added shortcode attribute
ids=""so you can specify post IDs for the playlist player to display exclusively. (Thanks John Haspel for the feature suggestion!)
- RSS import now sets the blog post content from the iTunes summary if no description or content:encoded was found in the feed. (Thanks @synthtony for letting us know about the situation)
- RSS import function calls to
mb_stripos()will fallback to
stripos()if the PHP mb (Multibyte String) library not available. (Thanks Glen Donohu for bringing to our attention!)
- Import to podcast category option added.
- Added audio ac3 and dts to media detection getid3 library (these are not podcast safe formats though we can detect their meta information).
- Improved logic for setting the iTunes subtitle and iTunes summary from blog post excerpts and blog post content if no custom iTunes summary and/or subtitle is set.
- Improved feed logic to minimize SQL queries
- Feed Maximizer option now applies to category podcast only feeds.
- Renamed “Appearance” settings to “Website” settings
- Added “Destination” settings for podcast directories and apps
- You can now select from pages when setting your Subscribe Page.
- Changed labels for Podcasting SEO guidance to include word “Podcasting” so not to confuse with “Web SEO”.
- Updated Podcasting SEO guidance to reflect how search works in Google Play Music (Thanks Daniel Lewis for confirming what is indexed!)
- Changed wording for Podcasting SEO guidance with Author field, replaced “slogans” with “nicknames” so it is more clear that we mean slogans for talent on the show.
- Removed logic to fallback to the HTML5 player for mobile devices. This was only needed when Flash based players were used.
- Quicktime Embed option for m4a audio removed due to security concerns with Quicktime.
- SWF embed support dropped.
- Embed link now toggles embed box when clicked multiple times.
- ATTENTION: The 1 pixel out audio player will be removed from PowerPress 7.1.
- Released on 4/2/2016
- Improved feed import for PodBean users (they appear to be blocking user agents like SquareSpace)
<br />to new lines for iTunes summary so new lines appear on iTunes desktop app (Thanks Daniel for input!)
- Added additional code to handle ajax verify media URL errors.
- Added Feed setting option
Do not allow other plugins to modify podcast feeds..
- Added Feed setting option
Include RSS Image in feeds., default is enabled. For themes that set their own site icon in the feeds.
- Added logic to handle post type podcast only feeds. (Thanks Alan for helping us debug!)
- Added logic to prevent featured episode from appearing on custom post type feeds.
- Fixed bug with post type podcasting channel level feed settings not applying correctly when using slug
podcast. (Thanks Joe for pointing out the issue)
- Fixed bug with enhanced itunes summary not displaying in some circumstances. (Thanks Filip for bringing to our attention!)
- Podcast Subscribe sidebar widget category podcasting option now accepts category slug values (in addition to the category numeric ID)
- Added define option
wp_authenticationerror message when password protected feed authentication fails. This is useful for debugging purposes.
- Fixed typos in RSS import page. (Thanks Robin!)
- Released on 2/21/2016
- Added import podcast from Squarespace option (thanks Steve for bringing to our attention that importing from Squarespace requires added logic)
- The itunes:summary tag values can now use CDATA encapsulation. Note updated that
<itunes:summary>may not contain HTML, except for hyperlinks. (Thanks Apple iTunes team!)
- Added checkbox to enable wrapping iTunes summary values with
<![CDATA[ ... ]]>tags. This may become a permanent feature.
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_FEED_TEMPLATE. (Thanks Ron for the suggestion!)
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_PREMIUM_GROUPS_PLUGIN, for premium podcasting with Groups plugin commonly paired with WooCommerce.
- Removed iTunes explicit ‘no’ value from
<itunes:explicit>tag. (iTunes change – February, 2016)
- Updated iTunes recommended image size to 3000 x 3000 saved in a compressed format such as JPG. (iTunes change – February, 2016)
- Fixed notice message from appearing when using the playlist player (Thanks chefjoef for bringing to our attention).
- Added width and height attributes to img tag for the HTML5 audio player image. (Thanks Eduard for the patch and information about the Accelerated Mobile Pages Project!)
- Fixed tab control styling when other themes or plugins use newer versions of jquery-ui.
- Added dismissable notification message to alert PowerPress users of the latest iTunes changes.
- Enhanced iTunes summary option now formats new lines with
tag for use on iOS podcasts app.
- Released on 1/6/2016
- Fixed messages that could occur the first time you select a video player when PHP notices enabled on server. (Thanks Paul Bearne for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed date issue when importing feeds. (Thanks tiptopolive for bringing to our attention!)
- Set item limit advanced option added for podcast importing.
- Released on 12/14/2015
- Import Podcast by feed added. You can now migrate your podcast from any service such as SoundCloud, LibSyn or PodBean into your own WordPress site powered by PowerPress!. With only a couple clicks you can import your program information, artwork and episodes.
**NOTE: Import feature was planned for PowerPress 7.0. Based on requests and rumors we are releasing this feature now.
- Import podcast feature includes program level information (Thanks Daniel Lewis for your feedback!)
- Import podcast feature downloads iTunes artwork.
- Import podcast feature advanced options: Allow duplicate episode titles and dates, Overwrite podcast program information, and include blog posts.
- Import podcast feature only imports your feed and meta information. Media files may be migrated using the Media Migration tool or manually.
- Fixed bug with podcast titles not displaying in some situations when using WordPress versions older than 4.4. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for pointing out the issue)
- Fixed bug with image title not matching feed title (Thanks EntBuddha for the heads up!)
- Happy Holidays! Jeff Buckley cover of Everyday People
- Released on 12/9/2015
- WordPress 4.4 has changed how feed titles are set. Please update PowerPress immediately to avoid feed title issues.
- Feed titles in WP 4.4 no longer use the
get_bloginfo_rssfilter. All other feed fields appear to still be using the
get_bloginfo_rssfilter at this time. We will be taking additional measures in future releases of PowerPress assuming WordPress core will be abandoning the
get_bloginfo_rssfilter for all other feed fields.
- YOU MUST UPDATE POWERPRESS TO 6.2.2 IF YOU ARE USING WORDPRESS 4.4
- Tested latest changes does not break backwards compatibility with WordPRess 4.3 or older.
- Fixed Clammr typos (Thanks Robin for the heads up!)
- Increased fields with maxlength 250 to 255 for iTunes settings (Thanks Robin for pointing out limit!)
- Released on 11/22/2015
- Removed logic added in last updated to call the do_shortcode function. We originally added this code to solve a theme conflict, it appears to have cause problems for others so we’re reverting back.
If your theme overrides the audio player shortcode (player will only appear correctly when calling
do_shortcode('')), then you must include the following define in your wp-config.php:
- Added new
powerpress_subscribeshortcode, will put your itunes subtitle below your podcast title in the subscribe widget. (Thanks Robert for the feature suggestion!)
- Added new
subtitle="your custom subtitle"attribute for
powerpress_subscribeshortcode, you can now customize a subtitle that goes below your title. (Again thanks Robert!)
- Added logic to use cURL library when native HTTP library in WordPress fails. (Thanks Zuke for helping us debug the problem!)
- Added new logic to check for
the_excerptused in the http head. Should fix issue for folks using Yoast’s SEO plugin with Facebook social enabled.
- Added code for the Clammr audio player to work in the “play in new window”.
- Added new “Having Issues?” option, “wp_head check”, will not add player and links if within the wp_head function call.
- Updated links for submitting to iTunes and Google Play Music Podcast Portal.
- Released on 11/16/2015
- Clammr Audio Player option added to PowerPress.
- Added logic to call the do_shortcode function when themes override the audio shortcode.
- Fixed bug in the media redirect url function when switching between sites for a MultiSite. (Thanks Avi for the patch!)
- HTML output will only append a “\n” when in debug mode. This will prevent situation where some plugins convert new lines into
<br>tags. (Thanks Avi for bringing to our attention)
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_DO_SHORTCODE, when set in your wp-config.php the
do_shortcodeis used rather than calling the
- Moved the
wp_enqueue_stylefor subscribe widget within the shortcode. Shortcode can now be used outside of
the_content. (Thanks Robert for letting us know about the bug!)
- Released on 10/30/2015
- Added Google Play Music podcast directory support.
- Added Donate Link option under Feed settings tab.
- Removed the enqueuing of mediaelement.js scripts and styles for the player and links in theme pages. PowerPress’s player.min.js will only be included on pages with the player or player links. (Thanks wadehammes for bringing to our attention).
- Updated iTunes subtitle and summary values to treat utf8mb4 data as utf8.
- Added better logic for checking for UTF8 values for iTunes attributes.
- Added the text domain setting in the powerpress.php file for translate.wordpress.org use.
- Enhanced iTunes summary bug where some iTunes summaries were getting cut to 255 characters fixed.
- Code updated to support PHP7.
- Released on 9/8/2015
- Changed the Play in New Window logic to support WordPress MultiSite
switch_to_blog()function calls (Thanks Avi for the patch!)
- Minified version of player.min.js updated.
- Fixed possible XSS vulnerability with the settings tab control.
- Added new
POWERPRESS_CURLdefine option for wp-config.php. When set, PowerPress will use it’s own cURL logic rather than use the
- Released on 8/27/2015
- Added new Subscribe by Email option to Subscribe Links feature. By default this new feature is not enabled. Go to “PowerPress Settings” > “Media Appearance” to enable Subscribe by Email.
- Enhanced iTunes Summary feature now maintains links.
- Added check for null values returned from
- HTTPS URL warnings have been removed. The past year usage of podcast applications that do not support https is now negligible.
- Added support for https:// media URLs for Blubrry and RawVoice statistics services.
- Verify media URL option now verifies SSL certificates and hostnames for https URLs.
- Added Podcast subscribe link support to post type podcasting.
- Links to Feed Validator have been temporarily removed, service does not correctly validate secure podcast feeds. We are working on an alternative.
- Moved defines for customizing links within the
plugins_loadedaction after translations are loaded.
- Fixed bug with linking blubrry account displayed HTML syntax for sign-in errors.
- Added logic to the Subscribe to Podcast sidebar widget to only display category, feed slug and post type settings when appropriate.
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_NO_THE_EXCERPT, allows you to remove PowerPress’s the_excerpt filter for special situations that warrant it. (Thanks Avi for the code)
- Changed logic for the
powerpress_get_the_excerpt_rssfunction. (Thanks Avi for the code)
- Added ‘mov’ file extensions to the list of migrate-able media files.
- Updated migrate media logic to allow for resetting of migration.
- Improved error reporting for blubrry.com API calls.
- Tweaked how Blubrry account linking is presented in plugin to make it easier.
- Released on 5/7/2015
- Added define option
POWERPRESS_DEFAULT_MEDIA_URLto enable the default media URL field.
- Fixed notice messages being printed when populating category podcasting settings (thanks slapdashcast for bringing to our attention)
- iTunes image requirements updated, 3000×3000 is now the maximum (previously 2048×2048) for iTunes artwork. 1400×1400 is still the recommended size.
- Added Subscribe on Android, the one-click subscribe protocol for Android. There are currently 6 Android apps that support Subscribe on Android one-click with more to follow in the coming weeks.
- PowerPress Playlist Player SQLi injection vulnerability fixed (Thanks Ben Bidner, Security Wrangler @ Automattic.com!)
- Subscribe tools now use the esc_attr, esc_url and esc_html native WordPress functions (rather than htmlspecialchars).
- Released on 3/21/2015
- Fixed bug where specific global podcast settings are not applied when podcast channel settings iTunes new feed URL or feed maximizer option were configured then deleted afterward. This only effected settings if you deleted the default podcast feed.
- Added wp-config define option
POWERPRESS_DISABLE_ITUNES_UTF8, when set to true PowerPress will not convert iTunes values to UTF-8. This is for the very small number of folks who are not using UTF-8 in their website.
- The subscribe shortcode embed attributes are now strictly enforced. If you enter a category or a podcast channel and it does not exist, the shortcode will be empty and will no longer fall-back to the main podcast settings.
- The subscribe shortcode embed specifying a category not displaying category fixed (thanks elembemedia for bringing to our attention)
- Subscribe links below player for category podcasts now works but only if you select 1 category. 2 or more categories complicates things.
- Added logic to fix situation with JetPack and automatic excerpts. Manual excerpts or regular content pages are not affected. (Thanks grahamharper for the details!)
- Added new “Having Issues?” option “Yes, excluding excerpts”, will apply player and links fix logic except when the_excerpt filter is called first.
- AudioObject and VideoObject descriptions are now set using the blog post if no itunes subtitle is set.
- Fixed Episode Titles bug, if you did not set a custom episode title the program title was not appended.
- Fixed “Feature Episode” bug, unchecking the option will now properly save.
- Fixed playlist player date attribute not applying when set to false (thanks trb310 for pointing out the issue!)
- Danish translation updated, thanks Team Blogos!
- Added new subscribe embed attribute “heading”, you can now customize the “Subscribe to” label, e.g. add “the” to the Subscribe to label
[powerpress_subscribe heading="Subscribe to the"
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_DEBUGfor PowerPress debugging.
- Coming in PowerPress 6.1 we will allow podcasters who use category podcasting to set one of their category podcasts as the “Default”. This podcast category will replace the default podcast feed. This will solve a number of complications Category podcasting has in regards to slug name collisions as well as in-page features like the subscribe links.
- Coming in PowerPress 6.1 Podcasting SEO field options will be customizable.
- Released on 1/25/2015
- Duration detection option now works for sites running PHP 5.2 (If you can, please upgrade your PHP, but we understand that some situations warrant running outdated software)
- Tweaked CSS for subscribe sidebar widget font color to always be white.
- Changed the new 6.0 logic that prevents players from being added until after the wp_head is called, we now ignore when having theme issues option is selected to fix custom theme logic that may happen before wp_head.
- Added additional “Having Theme Issues” option, alternative logic to try to fix the situation where the player and/or links does not appear with some themes and plugins.
- Even though PowerPress 6.0 requires WordPress 3.6+, code has been added to prevent error messages in the event plugin updated on older version of WordPress.
- Fixed bug where malicious code could be injected into the edit existing category podcasting page. Thanks Netsparker for reporting the issue.
- Fixed bug with Podcasting SEO settings where Episode Titles could not be disabled.
- Fixed bug where Godaddy customers using PHP 5.4 were getting a blank screen for the PowerPress Settings page due to a bug in the stristr() function. Godaddy is aware of the problem and working on a fix. In the mean time we’ve replaced calls to stristr() with preg_match().
- Podcast Republic now uses the podcast feed URL for subscriptions (rather than the iTunes URL).
- Released on 12/19/2014
- You must have WordPress 3.6 or newer and PHP 5.2 or newer for PowerPress 6.0.
- NEW FEATURE: Playlist player, utilizes WordPress built-in playlist specifically for podcasting. Learn more
- NEW FEATURE: Subscribe links, adds subscribe on iTunes and via RSS links below the player and links.
- NEW FEATURE: Subscribe page template and
[powerpress_subscribe]page shortcode added. Create a “Subscribe to podcast” page for your podcast.
- NEW FEATURE: Subscribe to podcast widget, adds subscribe on iTunes and via RSS links to side bar, with optional link to subscribe to podcast page.
- NEW FEATURE: Podcasting SEO settings. Includes options to customize podcast feed titles, AudioObjects, VideoObjects, and highlight key iTunes fields.
- NEW FEATURE: Migrate to Blubrry Podcast Hosting in 3 easy steps added.
- iTunes image requirements updated, 1400×1400 minimum size is now “required” and 2048×2048 is now the maximum size for iTunes artwork.
- iTunes category and subcategory selection updated for latest iTunes category selection rules.
- Enhnaced iTunes Summary is back! The feature actually never left, but for the past few years links were not formatted in the iOS app. Now that they are, we now recommend the feature.
- Fixed bug where Feed Maximizer option only worked when Podcast Channels was enabled (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug where player and links would not appear if Yoast’s WordPress SEO plugin option “Add Open Graph meta data” was enabled.
- iTunes keywords feature has been removed, feature was deprecated last year by Apple. The iTunes keywords field will appear for previous episodes that used the feature.
- Added support for Opus audio with content type audio/ogg. (Thanks thebugcast for the heads up!)
- Files with ‘ogg’ file extension are now treated as audio/ogg, unless the following define is added to your wp-config.php:
define('POWERPRESS_OGG_VIDEO', true);(Thanks thebugcast for pointing out the default!)
- Updated the Find and Replace episode URLs tool to use native WordPress MySQL query functions.
- Changed the logic for HEAD requests for HTTP authentication. Default WordPress behavior is to exit all HEAD requests. (Thanks thebugcast!)
- Changed all content types to either use the site default or use UTF8 (applies to play in new window and 401 Unauthorized HTML pages).
- Added new
powerpress_premium_content_authorizedfilter for premium plugins to override the default behavior which uses roles and capabilities.
- Updated the getid3 library to latest version, PowerPress now includes ogg duration detection support for “Speex” or “vorbis”.
- We are no longer detecting if the sample rate is optimal, we’re no longer worried about Flash playback.
- Removed Flow Player, Simple Flash, AudioPlay and Flash Mp3 Maxi players. These flash players are no longer supported.
- New MediaElement.js Audio player max width setting added. Player will now display full width otherwise. Player is now responsive, the width will shrink or stretch for the screen.
- Improved MediaElement.js Video player width and height settings. Player will now display full width, or as styled by the theme’s CSS if width and height are blank. Player is now responsive, the width will shrink or stretch for the screen, the height can be set with a blank width to allow for the player to fit different screens.
- We are now warning users not to use Flash based players in the player selection screens.
- Added option to set stats redirect at the channel/post type level. Requires a define
POST_TYPE_STATS_REDIRECTin the wp-config.php file.
- FeedBurner feed URL when set will be used in the new subscribe page and subscribe sidebar widget (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention)
- Playlist Player no longer includes the play time when it is zero. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention)
- Program Titles with double quotes in the general settings was not escaped correctly, it is now fixed. (Thanks Robin for bringing to our attention)
- Edit value fields now use the
esc_attr()wordpress function rather than the
htmlspecialchars()native PHP function.
powerpress_admin_capabilitiesfilter for premium capabilities. (Thanks Blair Williams for the suggestion)
- Made subscribe sidebar and subscribe embed button icons Retina screen compatible
- Re-added the blubrry folder icon for blubrry podcast hosting customers.
- Tweaked wording and updated documentation for SEO settings (Thanks Daniel Lewis for the feedback!)
- Tweaked updated documentation for the PowerPress Playlist (Thanks Daniel Lewis for asking questions, it helped us better document the features)
- Fixed subscribe links always displaying (thanks Thiago Miro for pointing out the bug)
- Fixed upload itunes image and poster image episode functions to use selected image size when “Link URL” is blank (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention)
- Added a learn more link to the SEO page.
- Added code for the new Subscribe embed so the subscribe embed CSS is only loaded when the shortcode is used in a page.
- Added the wp-video and wp-video-shortcode classes to the MEJS video player so latest CSS styling in WordPress is again applied 100% of the time to the MEJS player packaged in PowerPress.
- Playlist player will now use the iTunes episode image if one is set for each episode. Program level image is used if no image is set.
- Playlist player taxonomy podcasting now accepts the term_taxonomy_id, making it more efficient.
- Moved the Shortcodes into their own section in Media Appearance settings, they are now included in Podcast Channels, Category Podcasting, Post Type podcasting and Taxonomy podcasting with the appropriate attributes set for convenience.
- Brazilian Portuguese translation for v6.0+ by Leo Lopes from Radiofobia.
Additional PowerPress Version History
Please visit the PowerPress Version History page for history prior to version 6.0.