OptinMonster is a lead generation solution that converts visitors into subscribers and customers with our signature popup and optin forms.
|Author:||OptinMonster Team (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.7.0|
|WordPress version tested:||5.2.3|
|Added to WordPress repository:||26-04-2015|
|Total downloads:||25 297 304|
|Active installs:||900 000+|
Click to start download
The Best WordPress Popup Plugin
By now you know that online visitors have a pattern: find, read, leave.
And, you know that 70% of those visitors will never return. That’s why you’re here, right?
You want the best WordPress popup plugin to help you get those site visitors to stay on your site longer, buy something, or at least sign up for your email list so you can market to them later.
OptinMonster is more than just the best lead generation software around. It’s also the most powerful conversion software in the world.
Here’s what all that means to your brand:
OptinMonster popups get more interested people on your email list. Interested people spend money.
Leads and conversions. That’s what OptinMonster is built to do. And, we do it really well.
And, the OptinMonster WordPress popup plugin wasn’t just an afterthought. Our popups were built with WordPress users in mind.
That’s why our popups help you grow your email list and boost your sales better and faster than any other popup plugin can.
OptinMonster’s WordPress popup plugin is a connector plugin that brings the power of our standalone application to your WordPress site. An OptinMonster account is required to use our popups and other awesome features. Click here to learn more about OptinMonster.
Our WordPress popup plugin makes it super easy to grow your email list with popups and other high-converting optin forms. It has a ridiculously easy-to-use drag and drop popup builder, so you can create beautiful popups that are proven to convert.
Seriously. Our customers do amazing things with our popups:
LonerWolf captured more than 4600 mobile leads using just one of our floating bar popup campaigns and mobile device targeting. And, they cut their site load time in half by moving to OptinMonster from one of the other popup creators.
Christopher Place converted 60% of their traffic (without offering a coupon).
Cracku increased conversions 300% using countdown timer popups.
The list of customer successes goes on and on…
You can create different types of campaigns like WordPress popup forms, exit-intent popup campaigns, floating header or floating footer bars, slide-ins (also known as scroll triggered boxes), sidebar forms, after post forms, inline forms, mobile popups, fullscreen welcome gates, and more.
Using OptinMonster popups combined with our exit intent technology, page-level targeting, and behavior automation, users have seen an instant boost in conversion rates, even upwards of 785%!
Let’s take a look at how the OptinMonster WordPress popup plugin can help you grow your email list and achieve your business goals.
Drag-and-Drop Builder + Optin Forms Templates
OptinMonster lets you build high-converting optin forms in minutes, not hours!
You can choose from 6 different campaign types:
* Lightbox popup
* Fullscreen popup
* Floating bar
We have professionally designed, prebuilt popup and optin templates you can customize to start converting leads in seconds or start from scratch with a completely blank canvas. The choice is yours.
You can customize every last detail with our easy to use drag and drop builder – no code needed.
We also make it really easy to add any element you want to your popup or optin form including video, social icons, images, buttons, and so much more.
Plus, all of your campaigns will be 100% responsive and mobile-friendly. And, if you want a campaign specifically for mobile devices, we’ve got you covered there, too. Just choose from our mobile popup templates.
Easy Integration with All Email Marketing Services
OptinMonster started with the goal to make the most beginner-friendly WordPress popup plugin to grow your email list and increase sales. That’s why it just works out of the box with all popular email marketing service providers including but not limited to:
Mailchimp, AWeber, Drip, ConvertKit, Infusionsoft, GetResponse, Constant Contact, CampaignMonitor, Hubspot, Marketo, ActiveCampaign, Pardot, TotalSend, Emma, iContact, MailerLite, Customer.io, MailPoet, and FeedBlitz.
You can also use custom HTML forms as well as use shortcodes to add other form plugins like WPForms, Formidable Forms, and more.
Powerful Exit Intent® Technology
OptinMonster is a pioneer of exit intent popup technology.
Exit Intent® helps you track your user’s mouse behavior and prompts them with a targeted popup message at the precise moment they are about to leave.
Our WordPress exit popups allow you to re-engage the visitor and encourage them to subscribe to your email list or complete their purchase. Exit intent is proven to increase conversions.
We used it on our site, WPBeginner, and increased conversions by over 600%.
But the success doesn’t stop there. Check out what one of our customers, and a respected industry leader, was able to do:
In only 7 months, we added more than 95,000 names to our email list using OptinMonster’s Exit Intent™ technology. We strongly recommend it!
Michael Stelzner – Founder of Social Media Examiner
Advanced Page Level Targeting and Behavior Personalization
Our WordPress popup plugin integrates with our powerful targeting and segmentation engine so you can show your perfect popup offer to the right people at the exact right time and maximize your website conversions.
OptinMonster’s page level targeting module lets you show unique offers and campaigns based on visitor’s location and interaction on your website.
This means you can segment your email list and group subscribers based on their interest and interaction with your website, leading to higher open rates, higher click-through rates, increased sales, greater revenue, greater customer retention, and lower unsubscribe rates.
Check out the impact this had for one of our users:
OptinMonster played a critical role in increasing my email optin conversion rate by 469%. In real numbers, that is the difference between $7,765 and $47,748 per month in revenue.
Matthew Woodward – Professional Blogger and SEO Expert
Easy to Use A/B Split Testing
A/B testing is one of the most desired features, but normally it’s extremely hard for beginners to get it going.
Well, we changed all that and now it just works as part of the best WordPress popup plugin on the market.
OptinMonster’s easy A/B split testing tool helps you eliminate the guess work and make data-driven decisions on what works best for your popups and other optin forms.
You can try different content, headlines, layouts, styles, and optin triggers to see what converts best.
Using OptinMonster we got a 300% improvement on our email conversion rates which translated into significant revenue. We have tried many similar popup plugins and nothing can compete with OptinMonster.
Ian Cleary – Founder of RazorSocial
Detailed Conversion Analytics
OptinMonster’s conversion analytics is easy to understand and give you the stats that matter, so you can take action to improve your lead generation strategy.
MonsterLinks™ – 2 Step Opt-in Technology
MonsterLinks let you easily create a WordPress popup on click, which is proven to boost conversions by as much as 785%. These are a great way to offer content upgrades. Then you can use OptinMonster’s success redirect feature for lead magnet delivery.
Full Features List
- High-converting template library (100% responsive mobile-friendly), including WordPress popup templates.
- Drag and drop campaign builder to easily customize any popup or optin campaign, no code needed.
- 6 different types of email opt in and popup forms.
- Powerful page level targeting to build a hyper-segmented email list.
- Custom user-centric output settings to target visitors, logged-in users or a mixture of both.
- Category, tag and custom taxonomy output controls for robust campaign segmenting.
- Custom analytics to tell you which campaigns and popups are converting the best.
- Our signature Exit Intent™ popup technology to convert abandoning website visitors into subscribers and customers.
- Powerful A/B testing that helps you eliminate guess work and make data driven decisions on what works best for your popups and optin campaigns.
- MonsterLinks™ popup on click technology which is proven to boost conversions by as much as 785%!
- Mobile-specific WordPress popups that are specifically targeted towards mobile visitors.
- Scroll-triggered WordPress popup and optin forms for enhanced conversion rates.
- Timed popup forms – display opt-ins after a certain time or on the second pageview.
- Canvas popup forms – use Canvas to add a “Follow on Facebook” box, WooCommerce products, or anything else that you like.
- Exit Intent™ popups – reduce visitor abandonment, grow your email list and increase sales!
- MonsterEffects™ technology for eye-catching popup animations.
- Success messages and redirects for any popup or optin form.
- Easy integration with over 30 different email marketing service providers.
If you like this popup plugin, then consider checking out our other projects:
- WPForms - Best WordPress Contact Form Plugin
- MonsterInsights - Best Google Analytics Plugin for WordPress
- SeedProd - Best Coming Soon & Maintenance Mode Plugin for WordPress
To get the most value out of your growing email list, see our beginner’s guide to email marketing.
Press & Brand Assets
If you are interested in writing about OptinMonster, then we have have prepared a Press & Brand Assets page where you can download our logo, screenshots, and other relevant assets.
When mentioning OptinMonster please know that OptinMonster is one word with a Capital O and M.
Please avoid using any variations like: Optinmonster, optinmonster, or worst Optin monster.
OptinMonster® and Exit Intent® are registered trademarks of Retyp, LLC.
OptinMonster is the best WordPress popup plugin solution on the market. No other WordPress popup plugin or WordPress optin form solution compares to OptinMonster and the features it offers.
Our team works incredibly hard to make creating your next popup in WordPress a breeze. I think you will find we have done that with Popups by OptinMonster – Best WordPress Popup Plugin!
OptinMonster is unlike most popup plugins. Most plugins cost you money. OptinMonster makes you money. Most barely get updated – OptinMonster just keeps getting better.
Chris Lema – VP of Product at Liquid Web
I downloaded this popup plugin but don’t have an OptinMonster account. How can I get one?
You can sign up for an OptinMonster account by visiting our overview page and following the instructions on the screen.
How do I set a popup to open when a visitor clicks on an image or link?
MonsterLinks™ turns any image or link into a 2-step popup optin campaign, with no coding required. When visitors click on the image or link, there’s a popup asking them to subscribe or buy.
You don’t even need a special 2-step optin WordPress plugin to use MonsterLinks™. Since OptinMonster works on all platforms, it will work no matter what CMS you use.
Can I show a popup or optin form campaign to visitors based on their geographic location?
Yes! OptinMonster’s Geo-Location Targeting helps eCommerce retailers and content publishers show relevant popups or optin forms based on users’ locations.
Geo-Location Targeting lets you swap images and offers in your popups and optin forms, so you always make the right offer to the right customer at the right time.
How do I play sounds or add animation to my popup or campaign?
Our signature MonsterEffects™ technology provides CSS animations and sound effects to create popup or form campaigns that grab user’s attention and focus.
With MonsterEffects™, you can choose from 26 CSS effects!
Does Exit-Intent Technology Work on Mobile Popups?
No, but we have InactivitySensor™ for that! InactivitySensor™ monitors user behavior to detect when they have stopped all activity on your site.
Many people use InactivitySensor™ to convert bouncing traffic from mobile devices and skyrocket subscriber numbers.
Is it possible to schedule popups and form campaigns?
Yes! OptinMonster’s Campaign Scheduling feature detects users’ time zones so you can show holiday promotions and other time-sensitive popup campaigns to them at the right time.
Can I keep my popup from showing up immediately?
Yes! With OptinMonster’s Timed Display Control, you can set time delays for your popup campaigns to avoid inconveniencing visitors while still gaining subscribers and making sales.
Do OptinMonster popups get stopped by ad blockers?
No! OptinMonster can help you bypass AdBlock, AdBlock Plus, and other ad blockers, and recover the income that’s going down the drain.
OptinMonster’s smart AdBlock Detection feature protects revenue for publishers and small businesses by making it easy to deliver a targeted popup message to AdBlock users.
Absolutely! With OptinMonster’s Cookie Retargeting, you can hack your retargeting strategy and save money by creating your own onsite audience.
This technology takes the features in our OnSite Retargeting to the next level. It lets eCommerce retailers and small businesses fine-tune popup and optin form content personalization and increase leads and sales without wasting money.
Can I personalize my popup and form campaigns with visitor names?
You bet! OptinMonster’s Smart Tags feature allows you to place dynamic content in your onsite marketing campaigns with the click of a mouse. If you’ve ever used merge tags in email, then you’re already familiar with just how easy and useful Smart Tags can be.
Using our simple drag-and-drop popup and optin form builder, you can add all kinds of merge tags: date or day of the week; city, state, zip code or country; and any information the visitor submits including their name, email, or phone number.
Advanced users can even create their own custom Smart Tags just by integrating with your email service provider or CRM software to display any data you have stored on your subscribers and customers (name, interests, previously purchased products, etc.).
- Improved logic to prevent welcome screen from showing in the wrong context.
- Fix issue where the WooCommerce cart object wasn’t always available.
- Fix issue where top floating bars would cover the WP admin bar for logged in users.
- Fix issue with backwards compatibility with PHP 5.4 or lower, and WordPress 4.0 or lower.
- New campaigns that are fetched from OptinMonster will be enabled by default.
- API Keys can now be added with a click-based authentication flow
- Add a REST API endpoint that can be used to refresh campaigns
- Fix issues where the OptinMonster campaign preview wouldn’t load if the campaign was not already active.
- Add additional WooCommerce support.
- Fixed an issue where saving to MailPoet may fail on pages where only shortcodes are used to embed campaigns.
- Fix issue with backwards compatibility with PHP 5.3 or lower.
- Fix issue with backwards compatibility with PHP 5.4 or lower, and WordPress 4.0 or lower.
- Fixed an issue where campaign refresh would deactivate live campaigns, and remove their settings
- Users who have not entered an API key into will now be redirected to the OptinMonster welcome page instead of the OptinMonster settings page
- Added a pointer to the Admin Dashboard if an API Key is not entered
- Added pagination to the API requests when refreshing campaigns
- Additional fixes for future improvements to OptinMonster
- Updated the API domain URL.
- Improved searching when adding advanced rules for posts/pages/tags.
optin_monster_pre_store_optionsfilter to allow users to override which campaigns are imported.
- Fix issue where the “Automatically add after post setting” was not working properly after changes in 1.6.0.
- Fix dashboard notice showing at incorrect times.
- Add widget option, “Apply Advanced Output Settings?”. If checked, widget will follow the advanced settings rules for the campaign (found in the Output Settings for the campaign).
- Fix bug where advanced settings would not apply to inline after-post campaigns.
- Update the inline/automatic setting language to make the new behavior more explicit.
- “Display the campaign automatically after blog posts” setting no longer selected by default for inline campaigns.
- Fix inline campaigns showing in some scenarios, even when “Display the campaign automatically after blog posts” is NOT checked.
- Fixed potential privilege escalation bug.
- Bumped for 5.0.
- Fixed a possible security issue with admin notices.
- Updated outdated URLs in the admin.
- Refactored WordPress rules system, and a new
followrules=true. This means if you have specific WordPress display rules (e.g. which categories/posts/pages to display the campaign), and use the shortcode to output the campaign, you can have the shortcode follow the rules you have setup. Example shortcode usage:
[optin-monster slug="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" followrules=true]
- Fixed a bug that caused issues with PHP versions under 5.6.
- Include a file that was missing in 1.4.0. Sorry!
- Updated to work with OptinMonster 5.0 campaigns.
- Fix PHP notices.
- Fix issue where shortcodes in campaigns would not be parsed until the campaigns were refreshed a second time.
- Updated the API url to reflect the new endpoint.
- Fixed an issue that prevented campaigns from showing on some custom taxonomy terms.
- Performance improvements when retrieving, and determining when to display, campaigns.
- All URLs updated to use HTTPS.
- Updated notifications.
- Fixed issue where campaigns of an “advanced age” may not work in the plugin.
- Fixed missing files in WordPress.org repository.
- Is it “campaign”? Or “optin”? No, it’s definitely “campaign”.
- OptinMonster now works with the shiny new MailPoet 3.
- We’re feeling a little lighter after removing some deprecated code.
- Updated API calls to always be done over HTTPS.
- Updated error responses from the OptinMonster API to be more informative.
- Added additional checks during save routines for user capabilities.
- Added additional support for WooCommerce display settings.
- Updated language for legacy migrations.
- Fixed a multisite activation issue.
- Updated version numbers to prevent possible asset caching errors.
- Fixed possible undefined errors for API credentials.
- Updated the API script domain for adblock.
- Added new authentication method for the new OptinMonster REST API.
- Fixed undefined index errors when API responses returned an error.
- General plugin enhancements and bug fixes.
- Compatibility updates for WordPress 4.7.
- Added the async attribute to the OptinMonster API script output for improved performance.
- Fixed a bug that caused the debugging report to not properly grab shortcodes.
- Added helper to remove faulty admin scripts from the OptinMonster settings area that would cause things to fail in some cases.
- Fixed bug that caused the MailPoet integration to fail in some scenarios.
- Improved checks for when to output and localize the OptinMonster API script.
- Fixed bug that caused people to have to define two constants to set the OptinMonster license key in config files.
- Fixed bug that redirected people already using the plugin to the Welcome screen on update.
- Fixed bug that caused issues with viewing the Welcome screen.
- Fixed issue with notices appearing oddly on OM screens.
- Updated support video.
- Fixed bug with post category selections causing campaigns to load globally.
- Improved welcome screen for new installs.
- Bug fixes and enhancements.
- Campaigns will now load on the archive pages of individual taxonomies (if selected) by default.
- Clarified language regarding how the “load exclusively on” and “never load optin on” settings work.
- Removed after post optins from RSS feeds.
- Removed the test mode setting in favor of using the “show only to logged-in users” setting for testing campaign output.
- When going live, campaigns will load globally by default unless other advanced output settings are specified.
- Automatically adding an after post optin after a post is now checked on by default for new after post campaigns.
- Added a new “Support” tab with a helpful video, links to documentation and ability to send support details when submitting a ticket.
- Migration tab is now only shown if the old plugin exists on the site.
- Added helpful tooltips in various areas of the admin.
- Moved all advanced output rules into a toggle field to make working with output settings easier.
- Fixed the clear local cookies function (it actually works now!).
- Removed the confusing Delete button – campaigns should be deleted from the app.
- Added an inline shortcode “copy to clipboard” button for after post campaigns.
- Improved shortcode processing – it is now automated (no longer need to enter in a setting) and supports non self-closing shortcodes!
- Improved individual campaign action links by always making them visible.
- Updated compatibility for WordPress 4.6.
- Removed shortcode ajax method that could possibly be exploited by other plugins to run malicious shortcode.
- Added new feature to allow reviews to be given for OptinMonster.
- Allow API credentials to be force resaved to clean out stale messages about accounts being expired or invalid.
- Fixed API script getting cached by CloudFlare Rocket Loader.
- Fixed omhide=true conflicting with MonsterLinks in some cases.
- Fixed pre 4.1 installs getting incorrect API ID.
- Updated Readme so OptinMonster App and account requirement is clearly stated.
- Added Welcome page on first install.
- Updated error messages.
- Updated debug code for better error handling.
- Added No-Cache headers on API requests.
- Fixed bug with adblock.
- Added new API script with easier updates.
- Fixed conflict with jQuery and Modernizr when the optin object was not set properly.
- Fixed bug with canvas slide-in not being able to be closed.
- Fixed issue with contact forms not displaying properly in optins. See this doc on how to update shortcode support in your optins.
- Fixed possible issue with sending empty names that caused bugs with provider integrations.
- Fixed JS error with analytics if GA was not yet defined.
- Fixed bug with analytics tracking causing user sessions to be skewed.
- Fixed bug with fullscreen optins and mobile optins conflicting.
- Mobile optins now work for both mobile and tablet devices. Desktop optins work exclusively for desktop.
- Various bug fixes and improvements.
- Fixed bug where fullscreen wouldn’t work on mobile if exit intent setting was checked.
- Fixed bug with analytics not tracking if multiple spaces were contained in a campaign name.
- Fixed bug with clearing local cookies not working in some instances.
- Fixed bug where shortcode would not parse for optins inserted via widget, shortcode or template tag.
- Fixed bug where Mailpoet helper would not output for optins inserted via widget, shortcode or template tag.
- Fixed issues revolving around split tests not loading properly for mobile devices.
- Fixed bug with freezing and not working in IE10/11.
- Fixed erroneous alert on screen.
- Fixed bug with lightbox and mobile optins in API script.
- Fixed bug with GA not tracking data.
- Added 13 new mobile themes!
- Fixed bug with cookies and split tests.
- Fixed bug with allowing split tests to be made primary.
- Added support for a new optin type – fullscreen optins!
- Fixed a bug with embedded HubSpot forms.
- Fixed bug where dropdown options would not show on Safari for post targeting.
- Fixed issue with API script not grabbing checkbox and radio fields properly inside an optin.
- Fixed issue for defining API url with function before filters can be applied to it.
- Fixed display error when multiple taxonomy terms were selected for an optin.
- Added selection of scheduled posts in optin output settings.
- Added option to move floating bar to top of the page. No custom CSS needed!
- Added option for a privacy statement below optin form.
- Added option to exclude by page slug
- Shortcode parsing now available for all optin types.
- Various bug fixes
- Added ability to pause parent campaigns from the app.
- Fixed bug that caused paused split tests to continue to run.
- Fixed bug with passing optin data to a redirect URL with query args.
- Added ability to submit lightbox optin forms with the enter button.
- Fixed bug that caused site verification to fail.
- Added support for assigning multiple domains to a single optin.
- Added unique optin slug on Overview screen to make life easier.
- Fixed fixed bug with bounce rate in GA.
- Fixed focus bug.
- Fixed analytics bug that caused bounce rates to go whacky in GA.
- Fixed “powered by” link placement when using display effects.
- Added focus effect for input fields when an optin is loaded.
- Clear out global cookie when clearing local cookies.
- Fixed bug with not loading in IE7-9.
- Fixed bug with placeholder shims not working in IE7-9.
- Fixed bug with GA clashes when using multiple tracking scripts on a page.
- Fixed bug with possible duplicate submissions in some configurations.
- Added enhanced conversion tracking with GA.
- Added a dedicated edit output settings link for each optin.
- Fixed bug with passing lead data to redirect URLs.
- Added improved UX by being able to create and edit optins from the plugin itself.
- Fixed another error with plugin update deploy.
- Fixed error with deploy.
- Fixed bug with API script.
- The “Go Live” link now enables an optin and sets the global/automatic loading setting as well.
- Fixed bug with not being able to uncheck clearing local cookies on optin save.
- Added extra XSS security checks with
- Added version number beside plugin header title for easy version checking.
- Fixed bug with exclusive/never settings not showing previously selected pages.
- Fixed bug with API script and loading social services for specific popup types.
- Removed unused updater class reference and code.
- Fix error with loading old API script.
- Initial release.