More-Lang is a multilingual support plugin. It is very easy to use, with clean design & simple admin UI.
|Author:||Clive Zheng (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.8|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.8|
|Added to WordPress repository:||11-11-2017|
Click to start download
The configuration page. Three languages are configured here("English" & "Deutsch" & "中文", "English" is the default). You can add more languages from the "Add Locale" section. You can get help by hovering on the "?" icon.
Multilingual "Site Title" & "Tagline" editor.
Posts: Multilingual "Title" & "Content" editor.
Posts: Multilingual "Excerpt" & "Custom Fields" editor.
Multilingual taxonomy terms editor.
Multilingual menu items editor. More-Lang provides a language switcher menu item.
Multilingual widgets editor. More-Lang provides a language switcher widget. Note: for a newly added widget, the More-Lang editors will not get activated; only after the widget is saved, the More-Lang editors get activated.
Autosave & revision management. More-Lang provides excellent support for autosave & revision.
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/more-langdirectory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress.
- Use the ‘More-Lang Plugin Setting’ screen to configure the plugin.
- The “Settings -> Permalinks -> Permalink Settings” should not be “Plain”.
- If you want to clear all the More-Lang data, firstly, you need to set Clear the More-Lang data when “Delete” More-Lang on the Plugins panel on the ‘More-Lang Plugin Setting’ screen, then delete the More-Lang plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen.
How to customize the frontend language switcher styles?
More-Lang provides two filters:
- ‘morelang_front_cssurl’, filters the css url styling the language switcher. Parameters: ‘$front_css_url’, the built-in css url.
- ‘morelang_flag_url’, filters the flag icon urls. Parameters: ‘$img_src’, the original url; ‘$locale’, the current requested locale; ‘$position’, where to be placed, it can be “menu” or “panel”.
How to localize external plugins?
- If the plugin uses short codes, it’s usually very simple: create short code for every language, then paste the short codes to the related content.
- If the plugin uses widgets, try this way: find out the filters used for the texts, add your filter handlers in your theme to return localized texts.
More-Lang doesn’t impose a fixed format to split texts, this gives developers the chance to adopt the most appropriate approach. (e.g., the text can simply be delimited by “,”)
- More-Lang is planed to support some popular plugins, currently it’s not available yet.
Where are the More-Lang data saved?
- The setting data is saved in the “wp_options” table, with “morelang_nml_option” as the option_name.
- The localized post title, post content, post excerpt, custom fields and menu items are saved in “wp_postmeta” table.
- All the other localized options are saved in the “wp_options” table.
All the More-Lang related data have “morelang_nml_” in their keys or names, which can be used to identify them.
- Improved the plugin extension interface (this change has no impact on the previous installations).
This version fixed 2 compatibility issues for older WordPress:
* Fixed missing argument warnings for the ‘get_terms’ & ‘_wp_post_revision_fields’ filters in pre WordPress 4.6.
- Fixed an ‘is_rtl()’ calling issue (function undefined) in pre WordPress 4.6.
This version includes some minor usability changes:
* Changed the revision comparing lang-heading from locale to language name.
* Changed the rich editor language switcher styles to display scroll-y-bar only when the height overflows.
* Changed the action button styles.
- Added the “pop-up language switcher on the rich editors” option.
- Fixed a WP_Widget_Text display issue: the default value is displayed after saving, & not sync with the returned values.
- Fixed a WP_Widget_Text saving issue: not save the inputed in text mode.
- Added support for the “wp-login.php” URLs.
- Fixed a RTL styling issue in the case that the default language is RTL.
- Added setting RTL style if the default language is RTL.
- Added the language switcher for the “login” and “register” pages.
- Added the “submit” button state(enabled/disabled) change according to the setting change.
- Improved the recovery of previous language selection.
- Added setting RTL direction even when the corresponding language pack is not installed.
- Added language selection recovery for async-widgets: “Image”, “Audio”, “Video”, “Gallery”, “Custom HTML” and “Text”.
- Added the RTL languages support.
- Keeping language info when searching.
- Added the recovery function of previous language selection.
- The improvement of autosave support.
- The improvement of “Missing Content Placeholder” option.
- Added “Language” column to the Posts lists to show the translation status of each Post.
- Fixed an overwriting issue when creating new autosave record.
- Few other trivial changes.
- Added the support for Autosave (the WordPress releases before 4.6 are not supported).
- Added the management of localized fields in revisions.
- Fixed the error of ‘$this’ parameter in PHP7+.
- Added the support for WP_Widget_Custom_HTML in WP4.8.X.
- Added the support for the WP_Widget_Text in WP4.8~WP4.8.1.
- Added the localization of the WP_Widget_Custom_HTML.
This version added support for the widgets upgrade in WP4.8~WP4.9:
* Added the localization of the WP_Widget_Text rich editor.
* Added the localization of widget titles of Image, Audio, Video, Gallery, Custom HTML.
- Added the ‘get_terms’ filter handler.
- The Refactor of the “ext” directory structure (no function change).
This version includes a minor change:
* Admin language switcher tabs improvement (just some CSS change).
This version includes some minor changes:
* No redirection cache on the browsers (otherwise there might be issue in newer Firefox).
* Sync language selection for rich editors.
- New feature: Redirect according to the browser’s preferred languages when the front page is requested.
- Fixed a ‘get_the_excerpt’ filter issue in pre WP 4.5.0.
- Other trivial changes.
- The setting page UI change.
- The pre-defined locales change.
- Other trivial changes.