Easier file and folder management for WordPress Media Library for Galleries and Albums
|Author:||Max Foundry (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.0|
|WordPress version tested:||5.1.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||12-09-2015|
|Total downloads:||612 739|
|Active installs:||8 000+|
Click to start download
Media Library Folders for WordPress page
Clicking the Add New button displays the upload box
The Search results page
Folder Tree Not Loading
Users who report this issue can usually fix it by running the Media Library Folders Reset plugin that comes with Media Library Folders.
- First make sure you have installed the latest version of Media Library Folders.
- Deactivate Media Library Folders and activate Media Library Folders Reset and run the Reset Database option from the Media Library Folders Reset sub menu in the dashboard.
- After that, reactivate Media Library Folders. It will do a fresh scan of your media library database and no changes will be made to the files or folders on your site.
How to Unhide a Hidden Folder
- Go to the hidden folder via your cPanel or FTP and remove the file ‘mlpp-hidden’.
- In the Media Library Folders Menu, click the Check for New folders link. This will add the folder back into Media Library Folders
- Visit the unhidden folder in Media Library Folders and click the Sync button to add contents of the folder. Before doing this, check to see that there are no thumbnail images in the current folder since these will be regenerated automatically; these usually have file names such as image-name-150×150.jpg, etc.
- Repeat step 3 for each sub folder.
Folders and images added to the site by FTP are not showing up in Media Library Folders
Media Library Folders does not work like the file manager on you computer. It only display images and folders that have been added to the Media Library database. To display new folders that have not been added through the Media Library Folders you can click the Check for new folders option in the Media Library Folders submenu in the WordPress Dashboard. If you allow WordPress to store images by year and month folders, then you should click the option once each month to add these auto-generated folders.
To add images that were upload to the site via the cPanel or by FTP, navigate to the folder containing the images in Media Library Folders and click the Sync button. This will scan the folder looking images not currently found in the Media Library for that folder. The Sync function only scans the current folder. If there are subfolders, you will need to individually sync them.
Folders Loads Indefinitely
This happens when a parent folder is missing from the folder data. To fix this you will need to perform a reset of the Media Library Folders database. To do this, deactivate Media Library Folders and activate Media Library Folders Reset and select the Reset Database option. Once the reset has completed, reactivate Media Library Folders and it will do a fresh scan of the Media Library data.
Unable to Insert files from Media Library Folders into Posts or Pages
For inserting images and files into posts and pages you will have to use the existing Media Library. The ability to insert items from the Media Library Folders user interface is only available in Media Library Folders Pro. This does not mean you cannot insert files added to Media Library Folders into any WordPress posts or pages. Media Library Folders adds a folder user interface and file operations to the existing media library and it does not add a second media library. Since all the images are in the same media library there is no obstacle to inserting them anywhere WordPress allows media files to be inserted. There is just no folder tree available in the media library insert window for locating images in a particular folder. We chose to include the folder tree for inserting images in posts and page in the Pro version along with other features in order to fund the cost of providing free technical support and continued development of the plugin.
Unable to Update Media Library Folders Reset
Media Library Folders Reset is maintenance and diagnostic plugin that is included with Media Library Folders. It automatically updates when Media Library Folders is updated. There is no need to updated it separately. Users should leave the reset plugin deactivated until it is needed in order to avoid accidentally deleting your site’s folder data.
Images Not Found After Changing the Location of Uploads Folder
If you change the location of the uploads folder, your existing files and images will not be moved to the new location. You will need to delete them from media library and upload them again. Also you will need to perform a reset of the Media Library Folders database. To do this, deactivate Media Library Folders and activate Media Library Folders Reset and select the Reset Database option. Once the reset has completed, reactivate Media Library Folders and it will do a fresh scan of the Media Library data.
Difficulties Uploading or Dragging and Dropping a Large Number of Files
Limitations on web server processing time may cause dragging and dropping a large number of files to fail. An error is generated when it takes to longer then 30 seconds to move, copy or upload files. This time limitation can be increased by changing the max_execution_time setting in your site’s php.ini file.
How to Delete a Folder?
To delete a folder, right click (Ctrl-click with Macs) on a folder. A popup menu will appear with the options, ‘Delete this folder?’ and ‘Hide this folder?’. Click the delete option.
- Removed PHP notice text appearing on some sites
- Fixed conflict with other plugins using pluggable.php
- Added security enhancements
- Add code to check for IIS when generating image metadata
- Added code to check for non existent folder parent as suggested by Christian
- Add code to test for thumbnail files before moving them
- Tested with WordPress 5.0.2
- Added themify to the list of folders to automatically hide
- Change the folder tree left node image
- Removed empty leaf nodes from the folder tree
- Updated list of folders to skip
- Modified the sorting order of files and folders to be case insensitive
- Updated the Upgrade to Pro page
- Added check for thumbnail size data during move operation
- Localized for translation text display via Java Script
- Update the Dutch translation
- Updated the Upgrade to Pro page
- Updated the list of folders to skip when scanning or syncing the uploads directory
- Modified how the move and rename functions handle thumbnail images
- Fixed missing closing a tag in on the support page
- Added Spanish translation
- Improved code to detect when the plugin is running on IIS/Windows
- Fxied issue causing sync, move and copy to fail on sites running with IIS
- Added multi select by holding checking a second item while holding down the shift key.
- Improved the copy and move function to avoid triggering a server timeout error
- Added check for mime type when files are uploaded
- Modified the sync function add files without triggering a server timeout error
- Replaced timer function for regularly checking for new folders
- Fixed issue with sync adding .htaccess to the media library
- Added troubleshooting tips to support page
- Fixed Locatization issues
- Added Russian translation
- Fixes to the CSS
- Added Dutch translation
- Fixed problem with undefined file name issue that some users were reporting
- Fixed issue with adding the SEO file title when Image SEO is turned on
- Added define that turns off MLFP diagnostic messages, add define(‘HIDE_WRITELOG_MESSAGES’, true); to the wp-config.php file to activate
- Added support for WordPress PDF preview images
- Added ‘state’ to jstree settings to force the tree to open after refresh
- Added CSS to improve the rendering of the folder tree.
- Added CSS to fix the Move/Copy button that was not displaying in sites using a language other than English or French
- Removed dashes and file extention for file titles
- Added new UI
- Fixed issue with string/array conversion for adding a body class
- Added French translation
- Modified move/copy process to process files incrementally rather than all at once.
- Allowing uppercase characters, dash and underscore in filenames and update links when a file is renamed
- Added link to page to fix common issues
- Stopped the deleting of images that are remove from the media library when a folder is hidden
- Fixed conflict with Enhanced Media Library settings tab
- Fixed issue with ‘http’ in attachment file paths
- Fixed table prefixed used when update attachment links
- Fixed bug preventing the use of the correct link to the attachment edit page
- Restored the click that allowed viewing of an attachment’s media page
- Because MLF no longer does complete page refreshes, view of an attachment’s media page will be done is a separate browser tab
- Fix problem with the redefining of ‘clearfix’ that was causing the folder contents to appear at the bottom of the page.
- Remove unneeded callback functions causing errors
- Added code to update attachment links in posts and pages
- Refresh file and folder data without a page refresh
- Fixed bug allowing deletion of folders that are not empty
- Replace home_url() function with site_url()
- Changed the file and folder permissions used for adding files and folders
- Changed plugin name from Media LIbrary Plus to Media Library Folders
- Added code to skip Uncode theme custom thumbnails images
- Added the code to hide folders and to skip the scanning of non image folders
- Updated the Upgrade to Pro page
- Fixed regenerate_thumbs_cap issue found by nosilver4u
- Fixed WP media library version check
- test for single and double quotes in new folder names
- Remove the fix folders helper plugin
- Adjusted the timing of the review notice
- Added code to remove extra slashes that may be added on Windows servers
- Tested on WordPress 4.7.1
- Added test for missing backslash
- Fixed issue with adding an extra slash when creating a new folder
- Tested with WordPress 4.7
- Fixed the issue with invalid folder parent IDs
- added missing upload destination folder
- Added holiday greetings
- Added new file processing code
- Fixed issue will adding new folders to MLP
- Added code to handle URLs for multi sites
- Added code to test for and fix bad URLs in the Media Library
- Added code for adding attachment info for better SEO Images
- Added code for regenerating media library thumbnails
- Added support link and email to the MLP page
- Fixed problem deleting a folder (for MLPP)
- Added code to prevent folder deletion when the folder is not empty
- Added folder navigation and drag and drop copy and move
- Added second method to get the absolute path
- Added drag and drop for moving files.
- Added upgrade to pro page
- Removed code to update attachment URLs
- Fixed MLP-reset version number
- Modified to work with WordPress 4.5.1
- CSS modified to work with WordPress 4.5
- Modified the code to allow the deletion of folder data even if the folder does not exist
- Made the stand alone version of MLP compatible with Maxgalleria
- Removed Maxgallery promo on MLP page
- Updated MLP page promo
- Changed database engine used for creating the folders table to MyISAM
- Added folder sync function to scan and update the database with new files and folders found on the server
- Fix problem with incorrect path to images in the new srcset parameter
- Included the Media Library Folders reset plugin
- Placed Media Library Folders in its own menu to allow other plugins to add submenus to the Media menu
- Add support for user defined uploads folder
- Added code to handle attachment_id in attachement URLs
- Added facebook like and share buttons
- Added support for muilt site network activation
- Added code to update theme customizer data if a file used by the customizer is moved.
- Revisions to the readme file and banner image
- Added scan for folders in uploads directory during initial scan on plugin activation
- Added rating request notice
- Initial version of the Media Library Folders