A CSS3 button generator for WordPress that's powerful and so easy to use that anyone can create beautiful buttons.
|Author:||Max Foundry (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.8|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.6|
|Added to WordPress repository:||16-08-2011|
|Total downloads:||1 931 465|
|Active installs:||100 000+|
Click to start download
Button overview - Everything in one view
Button editor - Your own look and feel
Amazing color options
Social sharing - Unleash the power of the social networks
Simple but powerful options
Clear and fast output.
For automatic installation:
- Login to your website and go to the Plugins section of your admin panel.
- Click the Add New button.
- Under Install Plugins, click the Upload link.
- Select the plugin zip file from your computer then click the Install Now button.
- You should see a message stating that the plugin was installed successfully.
- Click the Activate Plugin link.
For manual installation:
- You should have access to the server where WordPress is installed. If you don’t, see your system administrator.
- Copy the plugin zip file up to your server and unzip it somewhere on the file system.
- Copy the “maxbuttons” folder into the /wp-content/plugins directory of your WordPress installation.
- Login to your website and go to the Plugins section of your admin panel.
- Look for “MaxButtons” and click Activate.
Do I have to copy a button if I want to have a different text or link?
No. The shortcode enables you to change various items on the button including the text and link. It’s better to create a single button and reuse it.
To change text and link :
[maxbutton id=”1″ text=”yourtext” url=”http://yoururl”]
If you only want to change one of the two, just leave the not needed option out.
Most often used options:
[maxbutton id=”1″ text=”yourtext” url=”http://yoururl” window=”new” nofollow=”true”]
You should never copy buttons if you only have a different line of text and / or link on any button. You can use the ‘add button’ dialog from your posts and pages to easily use this options
How do I use the shortcode in a sidebar/widget?
Simply add the button shortcode to your widget (ex: [maxbutton id=”17″] or [maxbutton name=”MaxButtons Button Name”]). If the styling is missing on the widget, try to check the ‘use important’ checkbox under ‘advanced’ settings.
How can I add the shortcode to my post/page template?
Simply add this code snippet to any of your theme template files:
Can’t see styling on the frontpage
Sometimes the button styling doesn’t load on the frontpage. There are usually two major reasons:
- Theme doesn’t have proper footer, check if wp_footer() is called in the theme
- Using MaxButtons with sliders, dynamic page loaders (such a parallax and one-page themes ) or caching mechanisms.
First ensure you have cleared all your caches. Then you can try to add the following to your shortcode: [maxbutton id=1 style=”inline”] ( replace the ID with the number of your button ).
TablePress and MaxButtons
TablePress uses a caching mechanism which prevents the MaxButtons style design from functioning. To solve this problem, simply add the caching option to the shortcode like this:
[table id=123 cache_table_output=false] . See this support topic on TablePress.
A solution which will keep the cache enabled is to use this in your shortcode: [maxbutton id=1 style=”inline”] . Flush the TablePress cache after adding this.
Part of my button is cutoff, how do I fix that?
Try enabling the container and setting its margin options. You could also fix this manually by surrounding your button shortcode with a div element with margins. For example:
<div style="margin: 10px 10px 10px 10px;"> <?php echo do_shortcode('[maxbutton id="17"]'); ?> <?php echo do_shortcode('[maxbutton name="MaxButtons Button Name"]'); ?> </div>
Then adjust the margin values as needed (the order is: top, right, bottom, left).
How do I center the button on a page?
Enable the “Wrap with Center Div” option in the Container settings.
How do I align multiple buttons next to each other?
Enable the container option and set the alignment property to either “display: inline-block” or “float: left”. You might also want to add some margin values to put some spacing between your buttons. If that doesn’t work, try using a simple HTML table:
<table> <tr> <td>[maxbutton id="1"]</td> <td>[maxbutton id="2"]</td> <td>[maxbutton id="3"]</td> </tr> </table>
How do I display a MaxButton in a WordPress menu?
By default WordPress can’t display shortcodes in a menu. You can use this plugin to allow shortcodes in a menu. Just copy the MaxButton shortcode in the menu after installing
How do I display a MaxButton in a slider?
This depends on the slider plugin you are using. Most of the well-known ones are allowing the use of shortcodes within the slides. To find out if your plugin can handle that, please ask the slider vendor.
I use Autoptimize with MaxButtons
If you use Autoptimize plugin and see weird result, try to load the pageby adding ?ao_noptimize=1 to the URL. If the buttons load normally then the issue is with Autoptimize. You can enter an exclusion for .maxbutton in the CSS exclusions.
Non-Latin language users
The plugin works with users of non-lating languages with a few exceptions. First, the character set of the Database Table should be in UTF-8. If you see ‘????’ characters in the plugin, go to Settings -> Advanced. There is a button to set the tabel to UTF-8
Secondly, please use latin only characters for button name ( Basic settings) and extra classes ( Advanced settings ). Not doing so might prevent the styling output from working correctly.
- ‘Add button’-Dialog improvements, plus all shortcode attributes now available in interface
- New shortcode attribute ‘extraclass’ to add extra classes
- Fixed issue where media script and modal script would interfere with each other
- Added No optimize string for Autoptimize users
- Updates to support page
- Improvements to shortcode visibility
- Tested on WordPress 4.9.6.
- Fixed legacy issue with social share that could crash plugin in certain cases
7.1.1 / 7.1.2
- Fixed issue when other sources call jQuery.noConfict()
- Vertical align now working
- Fixed issue with selecting buttons via SiteOrigin Page Builder
- Removed old Social Share from base plugin. Use WordPress Share Buttons ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/share-button/ )
- Upgrade to Font Awesome 5
- Added vertical-align: middle as standard property
- Streamlined plugin Ajax processes
- Fixed – Issue with button updated warning when nothing was updated.
- Fixed – Issue with shortcake integration
- Tested for 4.9.4
- Fixed issue with showing certain conditional fields
- Fixed issue in maxmodal with double init
- Tested for 4.9.2
- Security – Added rel=’noopener’ for links opening in new window
- Fixed missing values on a template
- Fixed – Advanced options
- Technical maintenance
- Tested up to 4.9.1.
- New setting for extra URL Schemes
- Small layout color picker fix
- Renamed button title to tooltip for clarity
- Rename empty font setting to ‘site default’ for clarity
- Social Share deprecated. For Social Sharing please check the new MaxButton Social Share addon
- New allowed link URL schemes – ms-windows-store and steam.
- Fixed Copy Color interface
- Improvements how Modals handle scrolling
- Change / Issue in MaxCSSParser which didn’t allow to properly parse Pseudo CSS element which are a parent of the main anchor class.
- Improvements in editor
- Fixed font-size in color picker styling
- Adapted to changes on color picker layout ( WP 4.9 Alpha )
- Fixed bug in External CSS function and is now working again
- Enhanced visibility of ‘show shortcode examples’ option
- Feature – Add simple link title to buttons plus shortcode attribute linktitle
- Updated Font Awesome override to work only where needed
- Removed PHP 5.2 check for being not functional
- Fixed issue with window resizes in post / page editor
- Fixed issue with Shortcake integration
- Fix – warnings when using Origins Sitebuilder
- Big technical update and clean up of code
- Moved plugin to proper use of namespaces
- File:// now allowed for URL’s
- Moved color class to mbcolor due to frequent issues with offending plugins.
- Tested for WP 4.8
- Button overview loading in editor screen (fixed)
- Fixed minor security issue regarding cross-site scripting (JVN#70411623). Thanks to JPCert for responsible disclosure.
- Fixed fatal error in settings function ‘reset cache’
- Fixed bug where scrollbar didn’t show in Add Button dialog
- Extra check for multi-byte string support
- Button load data hook added
- Fixed – Add button dialog showing scrollbars without need in certain cases
- Fixed – Minor notice in Social share when buttons are not in database
- New option for better accuracy of preview if site theme runs ‘border-box’
- Fixed Install class to check and create Social share transient table
- Added check for SimpleXML module
- New setting to solve FontAwesome conflict
- Updated settings page
- Fixed small layout issue in responsive section
- Updated copy warning to be even more clear
- Added shortcode options to FAQ
- Fixed error message on action buttons.
- Enter on text fields now moves to the next field
- Fixed bug that could trigger action buttons in editor when using enter button
- Updated Copy / Trash / Delete interfaces
- Fixed issue with refresh page warning when removing buttons
- Fixed Social Share Facebook count
- Fixed lower save button not working in social share
- Fixed layout issue in Social Share