A simple jQuery widget (can be called from posts) for displaying categories in a list with some effects.
|Author:||Miguel Useche (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.3|
|WordPress version tested:||4.4|
|Added to WordPress repository:||07-12-2010|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||63 386|
|Active installs:||6 000+|
Click to start download
This plugin provides a widget and a filter to display a collapsible list of categories in your sidebar or posts by using jQuery.
- Display a collapsed list of your categories to reduce space.
- It uses jQuery for effects and to make them work with most browsers.
- Select the symbol for expanding/collapsing categories
- Select categories to exclude, so it shows only the categories you want.
- Autoexpand selected category (including it parent or child).
- Support for multiple instances.
- Simple layout configuration
- Shortcode support [jQueryCategoriesList]
- Translated to Spanish, Italian Russian, Slovak, Czech.
- And more to come...
Here you can see a list of categories and its sub-categories expanded.
Here you can see a list of categories, those with sub-categories will habe a link on the right to expand its childs.
- Make a directory
- Upload all downloaded files to
- Activate plugin at the plugins section.
- Go to Presentation -> Widgets and drag the jQuery Categories List to your sidebar and configure it, if you want to display it inside a post then write [jQueryCategoriesList] at the location where it will be shown and save it.
Why this plugin is not working?
By support experience, like 99% of problems are due to:
- Your template doesn’t have a wp_footer() function, this plugin requires this function to load JS code at the end of the website to improve speed.
- You’re using a plugin that removes WordPress’ jQuery version and inserts an old one.
How I can send you a translation?
Send me the translated .mo file to migueluseche(a)skatox.com and indicate the language, I can read english or spanish, so please write me on these languages.
Can I use images as bullets or trigger symbols?
Yes, select ‘Empty Space’ as trigger symbol and Save, then you can add any custom background using CSS,
just play with the widget’s classes .jaw_category, .jcl_symbol, .jcl_link.
Can I show this list inside posts?
Yes, only write [jQueryCategoriesList] anywhere inside a post or page’s contest and it will be
replaced for the archive list when rendering the content. You can add the following parameters to change its behavior:
- showcount ( boolean ): Select if you want to show the count post inside category’s name
- ‘layout’ ( “right”, “left” ): where to display the symbol
- ex_sym: the expansion symbol.
- con_sym: the collapse symbol.
- fx_in (“none”, “slideDown”, “fadeIn”): the jQuery effect to implement.
- orderby (“name”,”id”, “count”): how to order categories.
- orderdir (“ASC”, “DESC”): the direction to order categories.
- show_empty’ ( boolean ): show categories with no posts.
- expand (“all”, “none”): expand or collapase all categories.
- exclude: IDs (comma separated) of the categories to exclude.
How can i add multiples instances?
Since 2.0 you can add as many instances as you want, but there’s another way to do it, just add a new Text widget only with the shortcode [jQueryCategoriesList] then it will have a new copy of the widget.
How I contribute to this plugin?
By using it, recommending it to other users, giving it 5 starts at plugin’s wordpress page, suggesting features or coding new features and finally by DONATING using plugin’s website’s donate link,
with the donation I can spend more time on this project.
Can I have different instances with different configuration?
Since 2.0 it’s possible. Each instance has its own configuration. Shortcode widgets are controlled by shortcode attributes.
- Shortcut has changed to [jQueryCategoriesList] because WordPress 4.4 doesn’t support spaces on shortcodes
- Minor fixes to support WordPress 4.3 and preparing for 3.0
- Solved accordion bug with Intenet Explorer 8
- Solved bug of links not working when using shortcodes
- Solved bug when a post doesn’t have multiple categories
- Solved expansion/contraction bug when using sub-categories.
- Added support for HTTPS, now the plugin generates the correct link if HTTPS is being used, thanks to bridgetwes for the patch.
- Added ordering by category’s slug.
- Fixed the problem of a warning message being shown when a post had a single category.
- Added a CSS class to li elements with child categories.
- Improved category HTML generation code to make future modifications easier.
- Fixed category’s post count when excluding some categories, now it uses the same algorithm as the standard WP widget.
- Finally the list expands to the opened/click category! It remembers where you clicked! Just select the expand option to ‘Clicked Category’.
- Wrapped post count (if activated) inside a span to apply CSS rules.
- Added a active class for current category.
- Fixed some spanish translations.
- Plugin translated to Russian by Матвеев Валерий.
- Added option to exclude categories when using shortcodes, just add categorie’s ID separated by commas in the exclude attribute.
- Solved bug of not including JS file when using a filter without any widget.
- Solved bug of not including JS in some WP installlations under Windows.
- Huge update thanks to donations! If you upgrade to this version you’ll NEED to configurate the widget AGAIN, due to architecture rewriting configuration may get lost.
- Added support for multiples instances, finally you can have as many widgets as you want without any hack 🙂
- Added support for dynamic widgets
- Added an option to not have any effect when expanding or collapsing.
- Added an option to select if you want the symbol on the left or on the right.
- Added an option to autoexpand all categories by default.
- Removed dynamic generation of the JS file, now you don’t need write permissions on the folder.
- Rewroted JS code, now it is a single JS file for all instances, improved perfomance and compatible with all cache plugins.
- Updated translation files for Spanish, Czech, Slovak and Italian.
- Fixed some several bugs, thanks to Marco Lizza who reviewed the code and fixed them. Plugin should be more stable and won’t throw errors when display_errors is on.
- Added italian translation.
- Added option to show or hide empty categories.
- Improved shortcode, now parameters accepts yes, no, 1, or 0 as input.
- Better shortcode/filter support. now it has attributes for different behavior on instances. (There’s no support for effect and symbol because it is managed through the JS filse )
- Fixing i18n bug due to new wordpress changes, now it loads your language (if it was translated) correctly.
- JS code is not generated dynamically, now it is generated in a separated file. For better performance and to support any minify plugins.
- Improved generated HTML code to be more compatible when JS is off, also helps to search engines to navigate through archives pages.
- Added Slovak translation.
- Cleaned code and make it more readable for future hacks from developers.
- Changed plugin’s JS file loading to the footer, so it doesn’t affect your site’s loading speed.
- Added default value for widget’s title. And it is included in translation files, so this can be used in multi-language sites.
- Plugin translated to Czech (CZ) thanks to Tomas Valenta.
- Solving sorting bug, now you can choose the categories display order.
- Added support for multiples instances (by writing [jQueryCategoriesList] on any Text widget).
- Fixed a bug when no categories were selected to be filtered.
- Improved compatibility with WordPress 3.x.
- Added support to exclude categories when listing.
- Initial public version.