Download the iTunes Link Engine to automatically localize and affiliate iTunes product links to improve user experience and increase conversions.
|Author:||GeoRiot Networks, Inc. (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||2.7|
|WordPress version tested:||4.8|
|Added to WordPress repository:||08-12-2014|
|Total downloads:||6 995|
Click to start download
The Workflow: Nothing changes for you once the plugin is installed. You can still add iTunes links for every page, just as you’ve done before.
The Results: Each user gets sent to the correct item in their local store. This is an example of a user from the United States clicking your link. They’re sent to iTunes US with your affiliate token attached.
After: When you install the iTunes Link Engine, we automatically globalize and affiliate all iTunes links on your WordPress site.
The Results: Each user gets sent to the correct item in their local store. This is an example of a user from Germany clicking your link. They’re sent to iTunes Germany with your affiliate token attached.
iTunes Link Engine Interface.
Before: You have links to an item within a single iTunes Storefront
There are three easy steps to get the most value from the iTunes Link Engine.
To install the plugin:
- Install the iTunes Link Engine plugin using the WordPress Plugin Installer here.
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in your WordPress Dashboard.
- That’s it! Once activated, your links will automatically be localized for your international audience.
To connect your Geniuslink account:
- If you don’t have an account already, create a Geniuslink account here.
- After signing in, navigate to the Account page to create a new API token.
- Access the iTunes Link Engine Settings through the “Settings” tab within your WordPress dashboard.
- Copy the API Key and API Secret into your iTunes Link Engine plugin.
Note: You are not required to have a Geniuslink account, to use this plugin. However, if you would like to earn affiliate commissions, you must sign up for a Geniuslink Account. Try it out for free and check out pricing for the Geniuslink service on our website.
To affiliate your links:
- If you have already added your affiliate token to your Geniuslink account, you’re good to go.
- If you haven’t already, sign up for the PHG affiliate program (instructions on how to sign up can be found on our site).
- Once approved, jump into your Geniuslink dashboard and click on the “Affiliate” tab. Then, click “Connect an affiliate program” button and paste in your PHG affiliate token.
Once saved into the dashboard your links will automatically be affiliated with your PHG affiliate token when they are clicked.
What is Geniuslink
Geniuslink is the secret sauce behind the iTunes Link Engine that allows you to build the world’s most intelligent links. Improve user experience, and maximize your affiliate earnings and marketing efforts through Geniuslink’s service. For marketers promoting content within the iTunes ecosystem, Geniuslink allows you to build intelligent links that automatically route customers to the correct product within their own local storefront. Geniuslink also allows you to enter your PHG Affiliate Token to earn commissions from all of your clicks.
Do I need a Geniuslink Account to use this plugin?
No, you do NOT need a Geniuslink account to use the iTunes Link Engine plugin. As soon as you install and activate the free plugin, all of your links will be automatically localized, and your customers will be routed to the correct product in their local storefront. However, if you want to add your affiliate token, you will need a Geniuslink account. By default, Geniuslink’s affiliate token will be used until you have connected your account, and added your own via the Geniuslink Dashboard.
How do I get my API keys?
To get your Geniuslink API Keys, follow these simple steps:
- If you do not have a Geniuslink account, create an account.
- Log into your Geniuslink Dashboard, and navigate to the Account Tab.
- Click the “plus” sign to get your API keys.
- Navigate to the iTunes Link Engine settings under “Settings” in your WordPress dashboard.
- Next, simply copy and paste the “Key” and “Secret” codes into the “Enable Reporting and Commissions” area of the plugin. Please note: It may take up to 3 minutes for new keys to become available for use after adding them to your dashboard.
- Once pasted, your Geniuslink account will be automatically connected.
Do I have to pay for Geniuslink?
If you’re only interested in giving your international audience a better experience and improving sales by redirecting them to their local storefront, the iTunes Link Engine is free.
However, if you would like access to advanced reporting features, a custom domain, or the ability to affiliate all of your links, you will need to sign up for a Geniuslink account. Try it out for free. Learn more about our fair and transparent pricing.
Please note: By default, Geniuslink’s affiliate token will be used until you have added your own via the Geniuslink dashboard. Please contact Geniuslink if you have any questions.
How do I affiliate my links?
First, connect the plugin to your Geniuslink account (see “How do I get my API keys?”). Then, follow the steps below:
- Add your PHG affiliate token to your Geniuslink dashboard. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.
Note: If you’ve already done this within your existing Geniuslink account, you do not need to add your token again.
- You’re all set! You’ll start earning commissions from anything purchased from iTunes.
Please Note: If you are already using affiliated links on your website, they will NOT remain affiliated if you use the iTunes Link Engine Plugin. In order to affiliate your links, you must sign up for a Geniuslink account and add your affiliate token to the dashboard. Once you have done this, and connected your account using the API keys, each of your links will be automatically affiliated.
How do I change the default group?
In order to change the group that the plugin syncs with, you must first connect your Geniuslink account using your API keys. Once you have done this, you can simply select the group you would like to use from the drop down menu under “Using Link Group” in the iTunes Link Engine Settings. If you leave this blank, the “Default” group in your Geniuslink Account will be used.
Is the iTunes Link Engine compatible with other affiliate tools?
Amazon Link Engine:
The iTunes Link Engine is fully compatible with the Amazon Link Engine plugin.
The iTunes Link Engine plugin works perfectly with Skimlinks.
The VigLink plugin, however, will overwrite the iLE and not allow your links to be globalized if it has already been installed. If you are currently using this plugin, you simply need to deactivate it from your WordPress site, download and activate the iTunes Link Engine plugin, and then reactivate the Viglink plugin. Once this is done, the plugins will work seamlessly together.
The iTunes Widgets are unfortunately not compatible with this version of the iLE plugin.
- Initial release
- Updated Readme
- Switch to “//” to allow non-https delivery of JS
- Geniuslink pricing changes and screenshots included
- Added: “To connect your Geniuslink account” instructions. Tested to 4.3
- Added ability to choose a group
- Fix contributors in Readme
- Fixed “No programs connected” showing after PHG was connected.
- Fixed issue where the group ID would persist after switching to a different Genius Link account
- Switched to api.geni.us api URL
- Added error check to test if group ID’s are successfully being saved to WordPress DB after submitting settings.
- Updated JS comments so they don’t break things on hosts that remove line breaks in the HTML.
- Tested up to 4.5. Updated unclear descriptions.
- Support custom domains
- Allow this plugin to have separate settings form iTunes Link Engine if it is also installed.
- Other minor improvements to UI.
- Tested up to 4.6
- Defer loading of snippet to improve page speed
- Tested up to 4.7
- Update top notice to be clearer about the need for API keys for commissions
- Change priority of plugin so it is included lower in HEAD
- Added feedback prompt
- New links to geni.us pricing and join pages
- Use new, compressed js snippet to make speed tests happier