Use #hashtags, @usernames and $cashtags in your posts. #hashtags are automatically added as post tags. Highly customizable!
|Author:||Peter Raschendorfer (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9|
|Added to WordPress repository:||13-07-2014|
|Total downloads:||12 260|
|Active installs:||1 000+|
Click to start download
hashtagger Settings General Section: This section shows the current Tag base setting
hashtagger Settings Regenerate Section: Regenerate all existing Objects with the current settings
hashtagger Settings Tags Section: Options to allow hashtags starting with numbers and disable link creation (screenshot is outdated)
hashtagger Settings Usernames Section: Handling of @usernames respectively @nicknames can be changed here
hashtagger Settings Cashtags Section: Handling of $cashtags can be changed here
hashtagger Settings Advanced Section: Option to not delete tags that are not found in content – may be useful if already a lot of posts with tags exist - but please note that with this setting activated tags will not be removed if you delete a hashtag
hashtagger Settings Post Types Section: In this section the Post Types to handle can be defined - activate only the Post Types for which you want to use hashtags to make sure posts are nor processed unnecessarily for better performance
hashtagger Settings Section Types Section: In this section the Section Types to handle can be defined - only activate the Section Types you want to use for best performance
hashtagger Settings CSS Style Section: Add CSS Classes to use for the generated links in Front End
hashtagger Settings Display Section: Option to not display symbols in front of generated links in Front End
What characters can a hashtag include?
The hashtag detection follows the rules for hashtags on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. The minimum length for a hashtag is 2 characters. A hashtag must not start with a number (this can be changed optionally). A hashtag not only ends at a space but also at punctuation marks and other special characters. A hashtag may contain underscores.
Does this also work for pages?
Yes and No. Yes – the plugin can add the tags also for pages. No – WordPress does not show the tags section for pages and also pages are not listed on tag archives.
This plugin does not change this behavior of WordPress because there already exist several plugins that add the tag functionality for pages. Please use one of them if you want to tag your pages.
How to change the Tag base?
The Tag base for the Tag Archive Page URL (e.g. example.com/tag/anytag) can be set on the ‘Permalink Settings’ page under ‘Tag base’ in your WP admin.
Where does @username link to?
This can be set on hashtagger Settings Page. @username links can either link to the Users Profile Page or to the Users Webiste (Users Profile Page if no Webpage is set). When linking to Users Website the link can be opened in a new window if desired.
Why should I use @nicknames instead of @usernames
This is important to enhance WordPress security. Please take a look at the Manual.
Can I use #hashtags and/or @usernames in Excerpts?
Yes, just activate this feature.
Can I use #hashtags and/or @usernames in Titles?
Yes, just activate this feature.
Can I regenerate all existing Posts after changing Settings?
Yes, you can regenerate all affected objects (Post, Pages, Custom Posts) using the current settings.
- faulty display in WP 4.9 fixed
- Option to automatically add hash symbol in front of tags
- Redesigned admin interface
- Code improvement
- Option to only create tags from #hashtags, but do not show links
- Bug fix Tag Regeneration
- Enhanced Polylang support to allow same hashtag in several languages
- Option to allow hashtags starting with numbers
- Uage of cashtags to link to stock symbols
- Optionally remove symbols in front of generated links in front end
- Works now with User Submitted Posts
- Works now with Barley for WordPress
- Hook filters only when needed
- Spanish translation added (thanks to Andrew for translating)
- Completely rewritten with a lot of new Settings and a feature to regenerate existing objects
- Optionally use @nicknames instead of @usernames (thanks to joeymalek for pointing out)
do_hashtagger()Theme Function (thanks to joinfof for the idea)
- Optional usage of @usernames
- Syntax +#hashtag to create link only without adding tag
- Solved: do not use hex color codes in css as hashtags (see this Support topic)
- hashtags can contain non ASCII characters
- hashtags must not start with a number
- hashtags can start after punctuation marks without whitespace
- hashtags end at punctuation marks
- Option to specify css class added
- German translation added
- Initial Release