Allows your visitors to comment on posts using their Facebook profile. Supports custom styles, notifications, combined comment counts, recent comments
|Author:||we8u (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.0.4|
|WordPress version tested:||3.1.4|
|Added to WordPress repository:||09-05-2010|
Warning! This plugin has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.
|Total downloads:||462 880|
|Active installs:||10 000+|
Click to start download
This plugin integrates the Facebook commenting system (new, old or both) right into your website. If a reader is logged into Facebook while viewing any comment-enabled page or post, they'll be able to leave a comment using their Facebook profile.
- Styles can all be customized to fit your site's theme (v1 only)
- Number of comments displayed can be adjusted
- Option to post comments directly to a user's Facebook profile page (v1 only)
- Comments can be included on pages only, posts only or both
- Comments can be shown in chronological order or with the most recent comments first (v1 only)
- Facebook comments can be attached to WordPress comments or inserted manually anywhere in your theme
- WordPress comments can be hidden on pages/posts where Facebook comments are enabled
- Comment counts on pages/posts reflect both the Facebook and WordPress comments (v1 only)
- Email notifications can be sent whenever a comment is posted
- facebook notifications can also be sent whenever a comment is posted
If you need help, please refer to the official FAQ at http://we8u.com/facebook-comments/#faq.
- Feature: Dark style now available for dark sites with the v2 comment system (“v2 only” option).
- Bugfix: Fixed a bug that was causing comment caching to be slow.
Dev Time: 33hrs
* Important: I highly recommend using “v2 only”, as it is, by far, the most feature-filled. If you have old comments, you can use “Display both v1 and v2 comments”
* Issue: If you see
Warning: http://example.com/example_post is unreachable., make sure your app settings are correct (enter
://example.com/ for “Site URL” and
example.com for “Site Domain”, note the lack of http or a trailing slash, this is important)
* Feature: Like button integrated into plugin. Enable on settings page. You can fully customize it there as well.
* Feature: Like button can also be added to the top or bottom of each post on the site’s main page (same “like” count as the one in comments)
* Feature: Comment count for ‘v2 only’ comments now displayed. Customizable on plugin’s settings page.
* Settings: Reorganized settings page to make clear what applies to which version of facebook comment system
* Bugfix: Users should no longer see “Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-for-wordpress/facebook-comments-admin.php on line 71”
* Bugfix: “Comments Closed” should no longer display inappropriately
* Bugfix: The ‘delete’ link on the dashboard recent comments widget is functional again
* Bugfix: A request to facebook that times out no longer incorrectly asserts that the application ID is incorrect
* Bugfix: No longer dies if facebook is unreachable (i.e., no more “Uncaught CurlException: 6: […] name lookup timed out thrown on line 622”)
* Bugfix: …and no more “Uncaught CurlException: 1: […] thrown on line 519”
* Bugfix: Activation should no longer be slow on sites with many comments
* Bugfix: Other small edge case bug fixes
Dev Time: 18hrs
* To see what facebook has changed/removed in v2, please read this: http://bit.ly/fbc3_changes. Briefly, gone is custom css, dark site, like button. If you want these, select “v1 only” (the default) on the settings page.
* IMPORTANT: WRITE DOWN YOUR XID BEFORE INSTALL THIS. This should be completely unnecessary, but it’s just a wise precaution to take.
* Added a notice in the plugin settings which displays your XID from 2.1.2 or before.
* Now displays “Comments Disabled” if comments are disabled for a page/post
* Bugfix: Fixed a conflict with a global variable which was causing the plugin to not load on certain sites.
* Bugfix: The visual editor should work again.
* Bugfix: Those who were unable to activate the plugin should now be able to (see next option).
* Option: Ability to disable comment caching (disabled by default).
* Option: Ability to show only v2 comments. See details on option page.
- Updated to handle the way WP3.1 updates plugins. see: this link
- Bugfix: Fixed a mistake where settings (including old app ID, secret and xid) weren’t being copied from previous installations.
- Feature: Added setting to hide Dashboard Recent Comments admin widget.
- See a demo of facebook’s new comment system here: http://bit.ly/fknVz8
Dev Time: 41hrs
* Upgraded to use the latest method of getting facebook comments, which means, THREADED COMMENTS! Yay!
* Option: Ability to display recent facebook comments as a widget
* Option: Ability to moderate facebook comments from dashboard
* Both of which can be styled via the stylesheet located in wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-for-wordpress/css/facebook-comments-widgets.css
* Bugfix: Changed jQuery call to fix some conflicts users were having with other jQuery-using plugins (such as the fb like plugin)
* Removed dependency on cURL. Now uses wp_remote_get. (note: facebook.php still uses cURL)
* For a complete overview of changes, see http://we8u.com/fbc3
- Option: Ability to uncheck the Post comment to my Facebook profile box by default
- Bugfix: Pre-activation checks have been converted to warnings (if you receive a
Parse errorwhen activating, please ensure you’re running PHP v5.0.0 or higher on your server)
- Bugfix: Replaced all
file_get_contents()instances with cURL calls (since some web servers don’t allow file fetching by URL for security reasons)
- Bugfix: Combined comment counts now work when comments are included manually (as long as the option is checked)
- The plugin now checks your PHP version (must be v5.0.0 or greater) and ensures you have the cURL extension installed before activating
- Bugfix: Switched from PHP’s default mail() function to WordPress’ built-in wp_mail() function for sending email notifications
console.logdefined unless Firebug is installed)
- Your current XID will now be emailed to you when you deactivate the plugin (this allows you to retrieve your site’s comments should you ever activate the plugin again)
- Option: Send email notifications to the site admin whenever a Facebook comment is posted
- Option: Ability to set the comment box width to
- Bugfix: Whitespace is now trimmed from the application ID, the application secret, all CSS styles and the XID to prevent loading issues
- Bugfix: Links on the plugin settings page have been updated to point to the correct information on the website now
- Bugfix: Cleaned up various parts of the code (no more PHP notices)
- Comment counts are now cached (no more slow load times on the main page). Depending on the number of posts you have on your site, it may take a few moments to activate the plugin because it retrieves the Facebook comment count for every post during activation for caching
- Both a Facebook application ID and an application secret are required for the plugin to work now
- Comment inclusion code is now far more lightweight
- Facebook and WordPress comments are now counted together
- Bugfix: WordPress commenting form should now be properly hidden for most themes
typeattribute is now set in the script inclusion (so older browsers will render it properly)
- Bugfix: Fixes the bug where hiding the WordPress comments caused errors in
foreach()loops on certain themes
- Moved all stylesheets to
css/folder and all images to
images/folder for better organization
- Option: WordPress comments can be hidden on pages/posts where Facebook comments are enabled
- Option: Like button can be hidden
Facebook Social Pluginstext and icon is hidden
- Option: Custom stylesheet for darker websites can be included (as a result, ability to reference your own custom stylesheet was removed)
- Bugfix: Comments now render properly in Internet Explorer (due to
urlattributes to the
<fb:comments>tag so the Like button links to the correct page when clicked
- Facebook comments can now be linked to by appending
#facebook-commentsto the end of a post/page’s URL
- Support for 100+ languages is now available (including Arabic, Hebrew, Spanish and all other requested languages)
- Bugfix: WordPress comments are no longer hidden when the Pages only or Posts only options are selected
- Option: Include comments on pages only, posts only or both
- Tested and works properly with WordPress 3.0
- Bugfix: Settings/XID are no longer lost when upgrading
- Bugfix: Anonymous posting now works properly
- Option: Allow user to hide the
Settingslink to plugin’s action links on the
- Redesigned settings page
- Refactored code to prepare for next release
- Bugfix: Facebook comments will be hidden on posts on which WordPress comments are disabled
- Bugfix: Facebook comments are retained through upgrades (you must set a XID to keep your comments)
- Feature: add Facebook comments anywhere in your theme by manually inserting
<?php if (function_exists('facebook_comments')) facebook_comments(); ?>where you’d like them to show up
- Option: Change
Facebook comments:title to anything you want
- Option: Allow user to reverse the order of the Facebook comments so they’re in chronological order (like WordPress comments)
- Option: Allow removal of the grey box behind the composer
- Option: Allow use of external stylesheet to alter the appearance of the Facebook comments section
- Option: Receive Facebook notifications whenever someone posts a comment
- Option: Uncheck
Post comment to my Facebook profilebox by default
- Assorted code maintenance
- Fixed bug: Plugin’s settings are no longer reset/removed when activating/deactivating other plugins
- New option: Ability to hide the Facebook comments box without having to deactivate the plugin (in case you want to keep
- Minor style changes
- Initial release