Reduce image file sizes and improve performance for images within WordPress including NextGEN Gallery. Uses jpegtran, optipng, and gifsicle.
|Author:||Exactly WWW (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.9|
|WordPress version tested:||5.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||07-06-2012|
|Total downloads:||12 075 091|
|Active installs:||700 000+|
Click to start download
Plugin settings page.
Additional optimize column added to media listing. You can see your savings, manually optimize individual images, and restore originals (converted only).
Bulk optimization page. You can optimize all your images at once and resume a previous bulk optimization. This is very useful for existing blogs that have lots of images.
Google Pagespeed says my images need compressing or resizing, but I already optimized all my images. What do I do?
Try this for starters: https://docs.ewww.io/article/5-pagespeed-says-my-images-need-more-work
The plugin complains that I’m missing something, what do I do?
This article will walk you through installing the required tools (and the alternatives if installation does not work): https://docs.ewww.io/article/6-the-plugin-says-i-m-missing-something
Does the plugin replace existing images?
Yes, but only if the optimized version is smaller. The plugin should NEVER create a larger image.
Can I resize my images with this plugin?
Yes, you can, set it up on the Resize tab.
Can I lower the compression setting for JPGs to save more space?
The lossy JPG optimization using the API will determine the ideal quality setting and give you the best results, but you can also adjust the default quality for conversion and resizing. More information: https://docs.ewww.io/article/12-jpq-quality-and-wordpress
The bulk optimizer doesn’t seem to be working, what can I do?
See https://docs.ewww.io/article/39-bulk-optimizer-failure for full troubleshooting instructions.
What are the supported operating systems?
I’ve tested it on Windows (with Apache), Linux, Mac OSX, FreeBSD 9, and Solaris (v10). The cloud API will work on any OS.
How are JPGs optimized?
Lossless optimization is done with the command jpegtran -copy all -optimize -progressive -outfile optimized-file original-file. Optionally, the -copy switch gets the ‘none’ parameter if you choose to strip metadata from your JPGs on the options page.
How are PNGs optimized?
There are three parts (and all are optional). First, using the command pngquant original-file, then using the commands pngout-static -s2 original-file and optipng -o2 original-file. You can adjust the optimization levels for both tools using the Overrides. Optipng is an automated derivative of pngcrush, which is another widely used png optimization utility.
How are GIFs optimized?
Using the command gifsicle -b -O3 –careful original file. This is particularly useful for animated GIFs, and can also streamline your color palette. That said, if your GIF is not animated, you should strongly consider converting it to a PNG. PNG files are almost always smaller, they just don’t do animations. The following command would do this for you on a Linux system with imagemagick: convert somefile.gif somefile.png
I want to know more about image optimization, and why you chose these options/tools.
That’s not a question, but since I made it up, I’ll answer it. See these resources:
- Feature requests can be viewed and submitted at https://github.com/nosilver4u/ewww-image-optimizer/labels/enhancement
- If you would like to help translate this plugin in your language, get started here: https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/wp-plugins/ewww-image-optimizer/
- changed: folders to ignore setting applies to resizing also
- fixed: lazy load placeholders have inconsistent URLs with ExactDN
- fixed: bulk resume indicator gets stuck
- fixed: bulk scanning queue gets out of sync and skips images
- fixed: async processing does not handle memory limit specified in G (gigabytes)
- changed: API key may be defined as EWWW_IMAGE_OPTIMIZER_CLOUD_KEY
- fixed: if img tag is missing dimensions, ExactDN sometimes loads original rather than existing thumbnail
- fixed: TinyPNG/TinyJPG images skipped when Force Re-optimize is checked
- added: automatic configuration for ExactDN + WP Offload Media
- fixed: bulk action from media library skipping last attachment in selection
- fixed: uninstall function throws fatal error preventing deletion
- added: preserve animations in GIF images during resize operations for sites using Imagick extension
- changed: EXACTDN_EXCLUDE applies to all resources, including images, CSS, JS, fonts, etc.
- changed: API/ExactDN preserves color profiles, even when removing image metadata
- changed: new queue table for bulk optimizer to avoid exceeding max packet size for MySQL
- changed: unit tests run on PHP 7.3 also
- fixed: too many settings updates when trying to prevent slow queries
- fixed: ExactDN rewrites urls to static HTML files
- fixed: ExactDN skips 1x url in some cases, causing browser upscaling
- fixed: PHP notice when EXACTDN_EXCLUDE is defined
- fixed: race condition in Alt WebP prevents Webp derivatives from replacing the originals
Please refer to the separate changelog.txt file.