Showcase currently reading and recently read Goodreads books on your website.
|Author:||davidsword (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.0|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.1|
|Added to WordPress repository:||03-07-2017|
|Total downloads:||1 620|
Click to start download
Running out of the box on Twenty-Fifteen
Running out of the box iPhone 6s emulator on Twenty-Fifteen theme
As a sticky post in a custom theme
- Install the plugin from your Plugin browser, or download the plugin and extract the files and upload
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- View the Good Reads Books interface under Settings in your WordPress Admin
- Use the
[goodreads]shortcode where you want to show your shelves
Why are some covers cropped?
The books are currently being displayed at a
1:1.55 ratio. Not all book covers are this ratio, so minor clipping may occur as the image is set to fill the space the plugin provides for it.
What is this warning about `CURL` about?
CURL is a library of PHP that is used to access data from other websites. For this plugin, we need to access Goodreads API and retrieve the data for your shelves. Without
CURL this plugin cannot work.
The Books are really small on smart phone?
The displaying of the books is lateral, allocating as many slots as selected in the admin settings page. This allocation shrinks equally as the container width lowers, and the covers ratios are maintained. If you’ve selected a high number of books, this may result in the thumbnails looking too small on smaller phones.
This is by design, but I’m open to changing it in future version if the request is there. In the mean time, try reducing your “Show x Total Books” numbers.
Some books are blank, just the “G” logo?
Due to licensing, sadly some image covers are not available through Goodreads API. If a books image is blank, you can define it in the settings page under “Exceptions” with your own cover.
To get the ID of the book, hover the cover of the book with your cursor on your website.
Why do you call it “Good Reads Books” instead of “Goodreads Books” ?
The fine fellows at Goodreads in their API agreement state that no one can’t use “Goodreads” in an app title. Yet “Good Reads” is fine.. legal stuff is so silly sometimes.
- Dec 6, 2017
- added: user ID parser logic to better extract member/authors who have custom usernames (thanks Andy E!)
- added: a “Refresh” AJAX button in admin. Though saving page refreshes plugin, this button makes it easier.
- added: new error handler for api returning a 404 (odd, but it can happen!)
- changed: rewrote most inline field description instructions
- changed: B&W covers now optional
- fixed: properly localized text that contained variables/html
- July 6, 2016
- fixed use of php shorttag that caused undefined var for credit on some server setups
- July 1, 2017
- Initial build