Social networking in a box. Build a social network for your company, school, sports team or niche community.
|Author:||The BuddyPress Community (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.5|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.8|
|Added to WordPress repository:||23-04-2009|
|Total downloads:||7 026 542|
|Active installs:||200 000+|
Click to start download
Activity Streams - Global, personal, and group activity streams with threaded commenting, direct posting, favoriting and @mentions. All with full RSS feeds and email notification support.
Extended Profiles - Fully editable profile fields allow you to define the fields users can fill in to describe themselves. Tailor profile fields to suit your audience.
User Settings - Give your users complete control over profile and notification settings. Settings are fully integrated into your theme, and can be disabled by the administrator.
Extensible Groups - Powerful public, private or hidden groups allow your users to break the discussion down into specific topics. Extend groups with your own custom features using the group extension API.
Friend Connections - Let your users make connections so they can track the activity of others, or filter to show only those users they care about the most.
Private Messaging - Private messaging will allow your users to talk to each other directly and in private. Not just limited to one-on-one discussions, your users can send messages to multiple recipients.
Site Tracking - Track posts and comments in the activity stream, and allow your users to add their own blogs using WordPress' Multisite feature.
Notifications - Keep your members up-to-date with relevant activity via toolbar and email notifications.
To run BuddyPress, we recommend your host supports:
- PHP version 7.2 or greater.
- MySQL version 5.6 or greater, or, MariaDB version 10.0 or greater.
- HTTPS support.
Automatic installation is the easiest option as WordPress handles everything itself. To do an automatic install of BuddyPress, log in to your WordPress dashboard, navigate to the Plugins menu and click Add New.
In the search field type “BuddyPress” and click Search Plugins. Once you’ve found it, you can view details about the latest release, such as community reviews, ratings, and description. Install BuddyPress by simply pressing “Install Now”.
- Visit ‘Settings > BuddyPress > Components’ and adjust the active components to match your community. (You can always toggle these later.)
- Visit ‘Settings > BuddyPress > Pages’ and setup your directories and special pages. We create a few automatically, but suggest you customize these to fit the flow and verbiage of your site.
- Visit ‘Settings > BuddyPress > Settings’ and take a moment to match BuddyPress’s settings to your expectations. We pick the most common configuration by default, but every community is different.
Can I use my existing WordPress theme?
Yes! BuddyPress works out-of-the-box with nearly every WordPress theme.
Will this work on WordPress multisite?
Yes! If your WordPress installation has multisite enabled, BuddyPress will support the global tracking of blogs, posts, comments, and even custom post types with a little bit of custom code.
Furthermore, BuddyPress can be activated and operate in just about any scope you need for it to:
- Activate at the site level to only load BuddyPress on that site.
- Activate at the network level for full integration with all sites in your network. (This is the most common multisite installation type.)
- Enable multiblog mode to allow your BuddyPress content to be displayed on any site in your WordPress Multisite network, using the same central data.
- Extend BuddyPress with a third-party multi-network plugin to allow each site or network to have an isolated and dedicated community, all from the same WordPress installation.
Read custom BuddyPress activations for more information.
Where can I get support?
Our community provides free support at https://buddypress.org/support/.
Where can I find documentation?
Our documentation site can be found at https://codex.buddypress.org/.
Where can I report a bug?
Report bugs, suggest ideas, and participate in development at https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org.
Where can I get the bleeding edge version of BuddyPress?
Check out the development trunk of BuddyPress from Subversion at https://buddypress.svn.wordpress.org/trunk/, or clone from Git at git://buddypress.git.wordpress.org/.
Who builds BuddyPress?
BuddyPress is free software, built by an international community of volunteers. Some contributors to BuddyPress are employed by companies that use BuddyPress, while others are consultants who offer BuddyPress-related services for hire. No one is paid by the BuddyPress project for his or her contributions.
If you would like to provide monetary support to BuddyPress, please consider a donation to the WordPress Foundation, or ask your favorite contributor how they prefer to have their efforts rewarded.
Try bbPress. It integrates with BuddyPress Groups, Profiles, and Notifications. Each group on your site can choose to have its own forum, and each user’s topics, replies, favorites, and subscriptions appear in their profiles.
Plugin uses its own database tables:
bp_activity, bp_activity_meta, bp_activity_user_activity_cached, bp_friends, bp_groups, bp_groups_groupmeta, bp_groups_members, bp_messages_messages, bp_messages_notices, bp_messages_recipients, bp_messages_threads, bp_notifications, bp_user_blogs, bp_user_blogs_blogmeta, bp_xprofile_data, bp_xprofile_fields, bp_xprofile_groups, bp_xprofile_meta