obfuscate text but leave it readable
|Author:||bobbingwide (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||3.9|
|WordPress version tested:||5.0|
|Added to WordPress repository:||06-04-2012|
|Total downloads:||1 294|
Click to start download
- Upload the contents of the bbboing plugin to the `/wp-content/plugins/bbboing’ directory
- Activate the bbboing plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Whenever you want to produce some ‘bbboing’ed text use the [bbboing] shortcode.
Note: bbboing is dependent upon the oik plugin. You can activate it but it will not work unless oik is also activated.
Where does bbboing come from?
bbboing is an anagram of bobbing, which is part of my company name ( bobbing wide – hence my WordPress.org username ).
Furthermore it’s an anagram where the first and last letters of the word are not changed.
‘bbboing’ is just one of the possible results of running the algorithm against ‘bobbing’.
What does obfuscate mean?
Render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible. Bewilder (someone).
What is this plugin for?
The purpose of this plugin is to be entertaining, educational and experimental.
Entertaining in that it produces an obfuscated version of some text following the “rules” defined in https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/Cmabrigde/
Educational in that it shows an example of a plugin developed using the oik application programming interface, implementing lazy smart shortcodes.
* smart – the shortcodes understand the content in which they’re invoked
* lazy – the code to evaluate the shortcode is loaded on demand, when the shortcode is used.
Experimental: some very similar code is being used to automatically generate language files for a locale identified as bb_BB.
Can you tell me more about the research?
See also the definition of typoglycemia, where the original text is longer than the example used here.
If you want to read more about oik plugins and themes then please visit oik-plugins
- Added: Notes for 7th anniversary edition.
- Tested: With WordPress 4.7.4 and WordPress Multisite
- Tested: With PHP 7.1
- Changed: Created French version to test with WordPress 4.6
- Changed: Created bb_BB locale version to test with WordPress 4.6
- Changed: Added PHPUnit tests in the GitHub version [github bobbingwide bbboing issue 2]
- Fixed: wp_nonce_field() called with incorrect parameters [github bobbingwide bbboing issue 1]
- Tested: With WordPress 4.5 and WordPress MultiSite.
- Changed: Now depends on oik v3.0.0 or higher.
- Changed: Improved some code and docblocks to WordPress standards
- Tested: With WordPress 4.4 and WordPress MultiSite.
- Changed: Updated oik-activation to match oik.
- Changed: Now depends on oik v2.5 or higher.
- Changed: Syntax help changed to test integration with the shortcake UI plugin
- Changed: Responds to “oik_add_shortcodes”
- Changed: Added readme.md file for GitHub version. Built from readme.txt
- Changed: Now invokes “bbboing_loaded” action during “init”. This allows smart-bbboing to get going before oik is loaded.
- Changed: The “bbboing” algorithm now ignores punctuation and complicated stuff
- Changed: Added nonce to the form. Sanitizes content.
- Changed: Restructured plugin to follow oik plugin style.
- Tested: with oik-css activated. Note: oik-css alters the sequence in which content is filtered, deferring wpautop() processing until after shortcode expansion.
- Tested: with WordPress 3.7.1
- Added: code to produce warnings when the pre-requisite version of oik is not activated
- Changed: bbboing is now dependent upon oik version 1.12 or higher
- Changed: bobbing is now dependent upon oik and bbboing
- Fixed: bobbing issued a fatal error if oik was not activated. Function bw_backtrace() was missing.
- Initial version on wordpress.org. Works with oik version 1.11
- Prototyped bbboing.inc on or before 17th April 2010