A plugin to check the age of a visitor before view site or specified content
|Author:||Phil Baker (profile at wordpress.org)|
|WordPress version required:||4.7.3|
|WordPress version tested:||4.9.5|
|Added to WordPress repository:||20-04-2017|
|Total downloads:||25 449|
|Active installs:||4 000+|
Click to start download
An example of Age Gate
The Restrictions settings page
Age Gate has a variety of customisable message settings
The appearance can be tailored to fit your website
Manage what users can change Age Gate's setting, restrict posts and exclude settings from certain post types.
- Upload the ‘age-gate’ folder to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Visit ‘Age Gate’ admin section and adjust your configuration.
Be sure to check the ‘Access’ settings tab to grant permissions and omit any post types you don’t wish to display Age Gate options on.
I can’t get past the Age Gate / The Age Gate only worked once
Can I restrict a particular page?
You can. If you use selected content, a checkbox will appear in content pages
Can I add my own logo/branding?
Of course, it’s your site
I’m in X country, can I format the date style?
Yes! DD MM YYYY and MM DD YYYY are supported along with a choice of how the dates are entered.
I use caching, will that be affected?
From version 1.4.0 those using caching can select the “Cache Bypass” option to allow age gating even with caching on. Be sure to empty your cache when making changes to the plugin settings. From 2.0.0 this option is in Advanced -> Use uncachable version
- Fixes an issue where Age Gate removed buttons from TinyMCE
- Fixes an issue where Age Gate options wouldn’t show for post types created after installation
- Deprecated: Restrict registration
- Improves support for multilingual sites
- Temporarily disabling Network activation
- Minor background changes
- Fixes issues with custom archive pages for WooCommerce and custom posts page
- Disables Age Gate in Customiser
- Adds notification to users if cookies are disabled
- Fixes issue where users could not register
- Fixes and issue where posts home would require Age Checking if the first post was restricted
- Minor CSS update for themes not using border-box
- Fixed missing closing form tag in admin
- Complete rewrite
- Age can be changed for individual content
- Tags/Categories can now be restricted independently
- Other archives can be independently restricted using filters
- Age gate form can be extended with additional fields
- Addition of various actions and filters
- Custom CSS editor
- Improved form validation and custom messages
- Ability to set which users can manage Age Gate settings
- Input fields can automatically tab to the next
- Fixes an issue where apostrophes were being escaped incorrectly in message fields
- Fixes an install issue with the access settings
- Fixes an issue where Age Gate options were not showing in page/post meta box
- Fixes issue where content was not being tested in selected content mode (pages/categories and WooCommerce taxonomies)
- Fixes page title switching
- Add custom page title field for when challenge is shown
- Fixes issue in Internet Explorer where Age Gate would stick in JS mode
- Fixes bug when trying to import new categories via Woocommerce import
- Admin style for opacity sliders
- Updated dev notices to only show for certain users
- Adds notice for new dev releases
- Adds additional CSS classes to HTML.
- Minor CSS tweak
- Adds event listener when JS Age Gate is passed.
- Various minor bugfixes
- Minor change to age_gate_before and age_gate_after
- Added opacity settings for backgrounds
- Adds ability to define how long Remember Me lasts
- Fixes issue in Cache Bypass where strings were not translated
- Fixes issue in some Multisite installs where wp-admin was becoming invalid
- Fix for conflict with Jetpack and wp_editor function – to be remove when Jetpack fix is released
- Adds additional test to enable restriction of WooCommerce shop page
- Fixes issue with includes in admin area
- CSS change for users using large logos where the them doesn’t use max-width: 100% by default
- Corrected README typo.
- Minor change to logo class from
- Updates to translation files
- Adds user preference to alter page title when Age Gate is displayed
- Added additional test for Bots in “Cache Bypass” version
- Minor text change on post editor
- Added Facebook and Twitter crawlers to the Bot ignore list
- Minor CSS changes
- Added CSS classes to Age Gate plus a guide in the admin
- Fixes issue where links in “Additional Content” could not be opened in a new window
- Fixes issue where links in “Additional Content” could not not have their text altered
- Fixes bug where adding a link to “Additional Content” also updated “Redirect Failures”.
- Due to an issue when using WPeCommerce the trigger for the JS version has been altered – JS version will be selected by default
- When using Yes/No buttons, the question “Are you over (n) years of age?” is now optional/customisable.
- Fixes issue when using standard mode, selected restrictions and Woocommerce when the age check would not show on the product page
- Addresses an issue in some themes where default style misbehaves on smaller screens
- Fixes issue where plugin was causing inability to scroll in some themes
- Added a cheeky paypal button
- Added option to have the Remember Me option checked by default
- In Cache Bypass mode, session storage dropped in favour of cookies to support Private/Incognito sessions.
- Also in Cache Bypass, when the AG is successfully passed the page will refresh as some occurences of JS manipulated content were not working.
- Fixes a bug when using Cache Bypass mode but not using Remember me
- Caching support! Ability to use the age gate on cached sites
- Bugfix for uninstall not working (thanks to @nate22 for the heads up)
- Removed bad translations
- Addresses issue on mobile devices where rendering is a little small as raised by @fwusquare2com. Option to add viewport meta added.
- Fixes issue created in 1.3.2 where listing pages were not age gated even if “all content” was selected
- Bugfix for missing text domain for “remember me” text
- Updated translation files
- Bugfix for listing pages being age gated incorrectly (e.g. blog home and archives)
- Options added for custom error messaging
- Slight change to admin page layout
- Option to bypass particular content when using “All Content” setting. Useful to allow Terms pages etc.
- Option to redirect users to a custom destination if age test is failed
- Fixed issue where correct input was not honoured in some browsers
- Added “no second chance” option which disallows multiple attempts if failed.
- Minor background improvements
- Minor changes to default style
- Fixed typo in readme
- Initial release